helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Brownfiel

Does anyone have experience with Mirtazapine to aid with Sleep?

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has had any reactions, success, or problems with taking Mirtazapine. My doctor has prescribed the medicine to help me sleep, as I am awake each night with terrible leg cramps and tremors. I am worried because it is an anti-depressant and one of added benefits is as a sleep aid. My doctor assures me there are no adverse symptoms for this medicine with PD.

I took it- it was the first drug the MDS prescribed. After one dose  I slept for 2 days, woke up feeliing stoned- went hanggliding (yes, hanggliding)- slept all the way home then continued to sleep for another 36 hours!  Even a fraction of the dose knocks me out for way too long.

You should probably add Mirtazapine to your drug allergies list, since you are so sensitive to it. I had to do that with another psych drug called Lamictal because within 15 minutes of taking it I couldn't even get myself into bed. Any drug that causes an adverse reaction should be on your drug allergies list. Did you manage to stay awake during the hang gliding? I would hate to miss that experience!

Yes and I remembered that part- figured I'd get a jump start  (no pun intended) on my bucket list- it was awesome!! 

Sadly I have a very long adverse drug rxn list- as well as things like band aid adhesive, latex, iodine. I am one of those folks who has the rare side effects listed on drug sheets. When I go to the hospital I get three wrist bands. Fortunately my best friend is a nurse who  makes sure someone stays with me whenever a new drug is ordered until I am out of danger.