helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
jds6958

How long did it take for you to relieve symptoms via Sinemet CR?

jds6958    32

Hello everyone...I am understanding that I may have Parkinson's (Labs and MRI came back fine).  I have been on Sinemet 50/250 for 11 days now (1 in the AM and 1 in the PM).  Nearly all of my symptoms have improved, except stiffness and twitching in my left index finger.  My Dr. stated it could take 4 weeks to work IF I have Parkinson's.

How long did it take for you to relieve twitching when you were placed on Sinement?  Just curious...

New normal    1,275

Welcome.

I am a newbie too. Strangely, I had immediate relief after taking generic L dopa/carbidopa. In fact, I had a double test...after being on L dopa/carbidopa for a few weeks, the neuro ask I not take it for three days. I returned for a neuro exam, presenting with all symptoms. After the exam, he gave me a sub lingual tablet of l dopa, and my symptoms improved in less than ten minutes. I am atypical. When I resumed my rx regimen, the symptoms became manageable within hours.

Good luck to you. After having been diagnosed for six mos, I find the most pervasive symptom is curiosity! :)

Lu States    83

very soon....just days or maybe a week.   i had a terrible headache and personality change, so that is what i remember most.   those side effects are now gone.   it has been a month, i'm at my total dose which is carbidopa 25 / levodopa 100 PY  3 times a day, and my symptoms, that i have had for over a year ( not counting the 10 year build up to diagnosis ), are really, really improved....almost non-existent.  i am a painter, and i do have trouble painting the edges and lines VERY straight, but that is all i notice.  my strides are even longer, not so mincy anymore, and i haven't fallen once.        good luck. lu

Beau's Mom    1,060

When I started carb/levo, symptom relieve was noticeable within a week. I particularly noticed that, as each dose wore off, my handwriting would get small again. It was like magic!

Dianne

jds6958    32

Very interesting experiences....I noticed differences in the first couple days...but my tremor is still there...I appreciate all of the comments...so far, it appears most responded within a week...thus, maybe I do not have Parkinson's....I will still stay on it for four weeks as the Dr. suggested...

StrkL    12

My neurologist had me take 1/2 pill daily the first week, one pill daily the second, one and one half daily the third week, and so on until I reached four pills daily after eight weeks.  (The pills were sinemet 25/100).  They did absolutely nothing until the fifth week, when I went to 2 1/2 pills daily.  And then dressing, showering, and eating were improved but my writing and typing were not helped (even at four pills daily), and my walking was helped very little (even at four pills daily).

I eventually went to six pills daily after consulting with the doctors on this site (see http://forum.parkinson.org/index.php?/topic/4409-walking-difficulty-due-to-parkinsons/ ), and my writing and typing returned to normal, as did my walking.  Now even when I get up in the morning, and am off, I have very little tremor.

Curt732    10

one more time please for the slow of wit.  LOL  

My regimen is almost exactly as StrkL above except it is a five week plan increaseing 1/2 pill a day to 4 1/2 pills in the fifth week.  I am now in the seventh week and I am at 1 1/2 pills three times a day. (4 1/2 each day)  I started experiencing some symptomatic releif at 3 pills a day but even now I do not have 100% tremor relief.

Is it unrealistic to expect 100% symptomatic relief?

I have begun a very aggresive exercise program and my balance, body strength, general good feeling has improved greatly

Curt