helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
johnnys

vietnam veterans with PD

Hi NN,

I would check the blue waters site to see if your husbands ship was on the list of included ships.The last I heard on blue water vets was one republican senator and a republican congressman were holding it up.I doubt anything will happen positive in the new reguim but you never know.best

john

• Like 1

Va just linked the chemicals TCE and PCE to PD for Camp Lejeune vets due to water contamination. I was diagnosed at the Dallas VA by an mds there. I served 1994_1998 in the USAF. Served two tours in Saudi during that time. I has a heavy equipment mechanic in the AF.

We used Brakleen a chlorinated degreaser all day everyday. Up until late 1994 Brakleen was +90% by volume TCE and +90% PCE from then. Still is even today.

I filed for reconsideration just yesterday with VSO, and will be in a senator's office Monday morning.

• Like 1

Again, I just want to thank those who have served/are currently serving in the military.  It's very hard to read of consequences re: how your health has been affected.

Just an FYI:

As advised by forum members, DH listed all health problems when meeting with VA registry. Turns out several things are definitely related one would not know...i.e. Ischemic heart attacks. It is good to list all medical conditions.

Our interview with VA turned out to be just registering DH's health issue. However, we learned a lot of things "off the record" that will help us.

We then met with VFW aide who said a new list of blue water ships recognized as orange agent related is due out soon. We learned our application was not mailed in April as we thought. So,we have 77 days to wait on initial application.

On a personal note. You vets should re think your career. While we were reconstructing his tour for ap to VA, DH disclosed things I had never heard. For 47 years, kids and I thought he was on a "McHale's navy" ship with no water. We dug out a photo album he had which showed "river boats" tied to his ship ...and junkets that were inspected for contraband...all confirming proximity to coast.

I listened as he recanted shelling the shoreline in conjunction with 2 marine land divisions.... removing "parts of the jungle" and hearing the marines congratulating ship members over loud speakers of the success of the mission.....confirming many lives were "neutralized." He watched junkets completely destroyed to bits of drift wood., and recants watching "beautiful mesmerizing" explosions of napalm on shore...never internalizing the horrific consequences.

When not shelling the shore, his ship followed air carriers to rescue crewmen who did not land successfully. When planes dumped their gas before landing, they commonly dumped on the destroyer. DH said it was common to be covered with gasoline.

Duties in our service cannot be compared. We know ground troups and specialized forces encountered quite different circumstances than a clerk typist in Alabama...but none of us can judge the impact. Only recently has it been recognized the C. B construction crews have gravely sufferred from agent orange. Of course, my heart goes out to honor families whose loved one gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I'm glad blue water ships are being considered as consequences of agent orange.

Watching emotions swell in DH as he reflects on what he experienced ..... while a 20 year old....says it all. Thank God for our service men and women.

You vets....keep on standing in those lines......if not for you...for your brothers........

NN

• Like 3

18 million gallons of Agent Orange (dioxin) was sprayed on Vietnam.  Do you think the chemist who invented this stuff, which defoliated the jungle around us in 3 - 4 days, knew it was toxic to humans? When you take a hard look at the modus-operandi of politicians, I believe executives of Monsanto made campaign contributions to politicians to lobby the Pentagon to use it.

Absolutely.  And much more than just Agent Orange, according to declassified documents from the military that are available to the public. 

Edited by Linda Garren

Nick Pitts' Daily Briefing

Denison Cultural Forum

1/30/17

Is it a Muslim Ban?

Nick Note: The executive order on immigration indefinitely barred Syrian refugees from entering the United States, suspended all refugee admissions for 120 days and blocked citizens of seven countries, refugees or otherwise, from entering the United States for 90 days: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. These seven countries were not selected by Mr. Trump himself, but rather were countries established under [the%20list%20of%20the%20seven%20countries%20in%20question%20wasn’t%20selected%20by%20Trump%20himself,%20but%20comes%20from%20policy%20established%20under%20President%20Obama’s%20administration]President Obama’s administration. It is not a Muslim ban. If so, it would have included the 30 plus other majority Muslim countries.

Some Christian leaders denounced the Trump executive order. Other leaders spoke to how it is a good recruiting tool for ISIS. But as is often the case, other organizations took advantage of the news. AirBnB said it will provide housing to refugees and anyone not allowed in the US. The ACLU received more than 350,000 online donations totaling $24 million since Saturday morning. Starbucks announced plans to hire 10,000 refugees over five years around the world. [Google%20creates%20$4%20million%20crisis%20fund%20for%20immigration%20cause]Google created a $4 million crisis fund. And then there was Ashton Kutcher of That 70s Show fame telling audiences what he thought of the immigration ban last night at the SAG Awards. But arguably the bigger news was Steve Bannon, his chief political strategist, being elevated to the National Security Council's Principals' Committee, on par with the Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense. Neither Karl Rove nor David Plouffe nor David Axelrod were on the Principals' Committee. Nor is the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In this morning’s WSJ, the editors note: “Mr. Trump is right that the government needs shaking up, but the danger of moving too fast without careful preparation and competent execution is that he is building up formidable political forces in opposition. The danger isn’t so much that any single change could be swept away by bipartisan opposition, but that he will alienate the friends and allies at home and abroad he needs to succeed.” But perhaps the most stinging is The Atlantic’s Eliot Cohen: “Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity -- substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have.” Roughly 3 million refugees have entered the USA since 1980. Since then, zero Americans have been killed by a terrorist attack by refugees. But then again, all it takes is one attack for us to question why more was not done. In the Scriptures, we quickly realize that those in authority do not always act in accordance with how we perceive God would act. While we cannot control their actions, we do control ours. The US may not be taking a hospitable position relative to the refugee, but there are 13,000 Syrian refugees already here that may welcome our hospitality.

(Note from Linda:  Impeachment cannot come soon enough, imho.)

Nick Pitts serves as the director of cultural engagement at the Denison Forum. He is a Ph.D. candidate at Dallas Baptist University and serves as an adjunct professor there as well. His op-eds have been published by Religion News Service, Relevant Magazine, Townhall.com, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News, and The Leaf Chronicle.

Edited by Linda Garren

Nick Pitts' Daily Briefing

Denison Cultural Forum

1/30/17

Is it a Muslim Ban?

Nick Note: The executive order on immigration indefinitely barred Syrian refugees from entering the United States, suspended all refugee admissions for 120 days and blocked citizens of seven countries, refugees or otherwise, from entering the United States for 90 days: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. These seven countries were not selected by Mr. Trump himself, but rather were countries established under [the%20list%20of%20the%20seven%20countries%20in%20question%20wasn’t%20selected%20by%20Trump%20himself,%20but%20comes%20from%20policy%20established%20under%20President%20Obama’s%20administration]President Obama’s administration. It is not a Muslim ban. If so, it would have included the 30 plus other majority Muslim countries.

Some Christian leaders denounced the Trump executive order. Other leaders spoke to how it is a good recruiting tool for ISIS. But as is often the case, other organizations took advantage of the news. AirBnB said it will provide housing to refugees and anyone not allowed in the US. The ACLU received more than 350,000 online donations totaling $24 million since Saturday morning. Starbucks announced plans to hire 10,000 refugees over five years around the world. [Google%20creates%20$4%20million%20crisis%20fund%20for%20immigration%20cause]Google created a $4 million crisis fund. And then there was Ashton Kutcher of That 70s Show fame telling audiences what he thought of the immigration ban last night at the SAG Awards. But arguably the bigger news was Steve Bannon, his chief political strategist, being elevated to the National Security Council's Principals' Committee, on par with the Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense. Neither Karl Rove nor David Plouffe nor David Axelrod were on the Principals' Committee. Nor is the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In this morning’s WSJ, the editors note: “Mr. Trump is right that the government needs shaking up, but the danger of moving too fast without careful preparation and competent execution is that he is building up formidable political forces in opposition. The danger isn’t so much that any single change could be swept away by bipartisan opposition, but that he will alienate the friends and allies at home and abroad he needs to succeed.” But perhaps the most stinging is The Atlantic’s Eliot Cohen: “Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity -- substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have.” Roughly 3 million refugees have entered the USA since 1980. Since then, zero Americans have been killed by a terrorist attack by refugees. But then again, all it takes is one attack for us to question why more was not done. In the Scriptures, we quickly realize that those in authority do not always act in accordance with how we perceive God would act. While we cannot control their actions, we do control ours. The US may not be taking a hospitable position relative to the refugee, but there are 13,000 Syrian refugees already here that may welcome our hospitality.

(Note from Linda:  Impeachment cannot come soon enough, imho.)

Nick Pitts serves as the director of cultural engagement at the Denison Forum. He is a Ph.D. candidate at Dallas Baptist University and serves as an adjunct professor there as well. His op-eds have been published by Religion News Service, Relevant Magazine, Townhall.com, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News, and The Leaf Chronicle.

Ms. Garren,

You'll LUV this.

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/24-things-nobody-does-better-than-trump-according-to-trump/58a766ff8c0157477a35a726

Link i found from Martin J. Bee and The Dopamine Chronicles,

https://thedopaminechronicles.wordpress.com/

http://vva.org/

Explains originally "Agent Orange" was not toxic to humans, but to keep up with production requirements they use a higher temperature making it very toxic.

Quite a few Vietnam Era Vets in my Rock Steady Boxing Class. 

Marty has quite a bit to say about this,but worth while for all Vets:

https://thedopaminechronicles.wordpress.com/agent-orange-sign-up/

Tom

We told Neuro today DH is seeking VA benefits from exposure to Agent Orange, he threw his pen down and said, "That explains it all."

DH had negative DaT scan and progresses with parkinonism symptoms with additional polyneuropathy and other symptoms atypical of PD.

So, ironically, both of us may be facing MSA (multiple system atrophy).

Good luck to you vets.

NN

If one got PD from Agent Orange a DATSCAN would be normal?  .

I don't understand why Agent Orange would affect the DATSCAN.

I would think no matter how one got PD, the DAT would not be affected

Edited by ellaangel2

Something that I just sent to the National Director of Neurology of the VA. 

Sorry for posting in several spots but hopefully it will gather support and help improve the way the VA serves veterans. Take a moment and help me share this.

Send a email letting the VA this is needed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/americans4vets/permalink/1593911713961740/

• Like 1

Update -- i am involved with Camp Lejuene contaminated water issue and currently waiting on VA compensation and disability rating. Should happen about September. Am hoping for at least 50% disability rating.

I have the pesticide exposures of GW and also tce pce exposure from brakleen use while in the USAf.

Pd Manz & Gulf Vet

I appreciate GW video.  I believe benifits and ratings will improve when VA is re organized.  

We have sent a "disagreement" response to denial given to DH and requested a personal hearing..not a video. We r told its better to ask for hearing.  We prepared such a response VA rep said she is going to work for his ship be added to blue ship list of "presumptive" diseases.

Good luck, guys.

NN

Not sure who know about this so and FYI

Camp Lejeune: Past Water Contamination

From the 1950s through the 1980s, people living or working at the U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were potentially exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial solvents, benzene, and other chemicals.

Disability compensation

VA has established a presumptive service connection for Veterans, Reservists, and National Guard members exposed to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune from August 1, 1953 through December 31, 1987 who later developed one of the following eight diseases:

• Adult leukemia
  • Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Bladder cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Liver cancer
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
  • Parkinson's disease

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/