helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
bjenczyk

Breaking Sinemet CR in half

Quick question - I think some time release medications should not be broken in half because it changes the release effect.  Can you split a Sinemet CR pill in half?  My neurologist wanted me to go from one Sinemet 25-100 a night to one and a half, but neither of us knew if breaking a pill in half would change its absorption.   One pill is no longer doing it for me, but he wanted to go slow in increasing the nighttime dose.

• Like 1

There is a difference between time release and controlled release. With the sinemet CR, you will notice there is a line (or a score mark, as we call it) on the tablet. That means it can be split and you will still get the controlled release mechanism.

Now most time release tablets will have a special coating on them and if you were to break them (split them), they usually shatter. Also, those tablets don't have a score Mark on them.

So, in your case, it is OK to split those tablets.

• Like 1

Thanks for the above information.  I hope it solves our problem.  My husband has the 50/200 CR pills but they seem too strong when he takes them.  His older 25/100 regular seem too weak.  His fluctuations were terrible-he's had DBS and his walking has since deteriorated-very frustrating but more medication seems helpful.  So-if we cut his 50/200 in half they might give him some more even delivery of levadopa-every six hours. Is that what we can hopefully expect? And is it okay to take this about every six hours during the day?  The DBS was a big improvement in his tremors and facial mask-he now smiles and has his expression back.   That is wonderful.  Thanks for your thoughtful answers to questions.  It seems that pharmaceuticals are so confusing; it is helpful that you are so careful in your explanations. 

To me, that smile that DBS can bring back to a patient is priceless.

As far as the CR goes, maybe start with every 8 hours to start. It is better to start at a lower dose and increase slowly if needed. If after a week, every 8 hours does not seem to be covering the time needed, then increase it at that point to 1/2 every 6 hours.

At this point it is better to start at a lower dose and stay away from side effects, than to go every 6 hours and start to have the side effects.

I am glad I could help. If you need anything, let me know. Also, make sure to keep me posted.