helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
PatriotM

Dreams

After years of not having a dream, or at least never remembering a dream, I've started dreaming during my limited sleep.  I suspect it's the Mirapex, but whatever it is - it's a refreshing change!  Anyone else start dreaming again after starting PD meds?

Yes, yes, yes !! Wow, I sound like "Sally" in the restaurant scene ("When Harry met Sally"....) LOL!!!

I hadn't dreamed for YEARS, until I started taking levodopa. I still recall my first night on levodopa, I had the most vivid dream EVER. More like a nightmare, but also VERY vivid. Vivid dreaming can be a "side effect" of dopaminergic drugs, especially when initiating treatment.

"Many patients describe a feeling of being more alert after starting levodopa treatment....Another similar activating  effect  occasionally experienced by patient is vivid dreaming. They may not have dreamed in years, but after starting levodopa treatment they again enjoy dreaming" (Can't say I "enjoyed" waking up terrified and disoriented...) "Usually this is pleasant, but excessively vivid dreams may be distressing" (No kidding!!!) "rarely, they are nightmares" (Only nightmares for me!). "The simplest way of dealing with this problem is to avoid taking a bedtime dose of levodopa or to make the bedtime dose somewhat smaller" (not as "simple" as it sounds ! ). "This effects also tends to diminish in time with continued treatment" (that's true, my vivid dreaming got a LOT better with slow adjustment of my brain to levodopa. I still have occasional vivid dreams/nightmares though, and especially when increasing levodopa dosage).  "Parkinson's Disease: A Guide for Patient and Family" by Duvoisin R and Sage J. 2001, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, page 77.   

Edited by christie
  • Like 1

Lkewise...I have the most vivid dreams, in technicolor even and always pleasant ones.  I had wondered if it might result from the level of my sleep (not great) or the fact that I awaken usually after about four hours.  On the downside I think I read some where along the line that pronounced dreams early on in PD can foretell eventual cognitive difficulties and even dementia.  

RAD

Some of my vivid dreams would make great screenplays if I would write them down as soon as I wake up. Mine are usually pleasant if not quite realistic; rarely are they nightmares. In one a few months ago I took my 12 year old granddaughter back in time to talk to George Washington. I wanted her to appreciate his wisdom and not be a terrifying teenager!

Dianne

Every night.  Most of mine seem to involve my being in physical confrontations and not being able to save myself or my family.  I can't move my arms to fight or can't seem to be able to pull the trigger because my finger doesn't have enough strength.  I usually wake up in a pool of sweat and my heart racing.  Bad for sleep, but maybe I'm burning a few extra calories at night. :-P

Kevin