helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  

pd and fluctuation of blood pressure

Hello. Do you ever see that pd can cause fluctuations in blood pressure being high and low?

Thanks

This is a difficult problem. I have seen patients with PD and blood pressure fluctuations. The truth is...it is hard to tell what is PD and what are blood pressure problems. In many patients there are indeed blood pressure fluctuations and it may be part of the autonomic nervous system involvement. In other patients the PD meds intermittently drive down blood pressure leading to fluctuations. Finally there are patients with PD who also have long standing BP problems that are unrelated. The bottom line is that you need your internal medicine doc to start working with your PD doc.

Thank you Dr. Okun. You have really made me think here how I need to find a good internal medicine doc. My current internal med/primary care doc has not been much help. Now that I have been dx with pd I want to find a good primary care doc to help take a look at this. I am the same person who has asked you about the ocular hypertension, double vision, etc., and sometimes I think I am having some nervous system involvement with my pd. Maybe not, maybe it's all unrelated, but I am only 42 and seem in some ways young to be dealing with these multiple issues...who knows. Thank you!

On 7/19/2007 at 9:25 PM, Dr. Okun said:

This is a difficult problem. I have seen patients with PD and blood pressure fluctuations. The truth is...it is hard to tell what is PD and what are blood pressure problems. In many patients there are indeed blood pressure fluctuations and it may be part of the autonomic nervous system involvement. In other patients the PD meds intermittently drive down blood pressure leading to fluctuations. Finally there are patients with PD who also have long standing BP problems that are unrelated. The bottom line is that you need your internal medicine doc to start working with your PD doc.

My husband has difficulty with low and high blood pressure readings.  We constantly monitor his blood pressure and the doctors have to review his medications.  It is very difficult!