helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
miracleseeker

Best way to lift someone off the floor when you are alone

When I read these replies I can really relate. Recently my husband who has PD and dementia had an episode where he made a huge mess, each time I tried to get him cleaned up he wouldn’t and couldn’t follow simple commands to stay still, move right here etc. it was maddening. It was the first time one of these episodes occurred and it really brings home the enormity of our caregiver experience. I will never be caught out unprepared again. 

I share your challenges ladies. Keep on knowing we are all in the same boat.

Yesterday night I could have used that inflatable chair.  My mom has a sprained ankle of some sort so it was hard to walk her.  I used the wheelchair for her and I got stuck trying to get her in from the bathroom due to the limited space in there.  Long story short.  She went limp and I had to slowly let her down on the floor.  I couldn't get her up with repeated tries so I left her there while I ran for help from a neighbor.   I felt so useless and alone that I couldn't do by myself.  I have had no trouble for almost a year now doing it by myself knowing how to hold her and how to make her do her part but I underestimated how much strength I really have and that I wasn't able to do it alone last night.  It really sucks to not have an extra helping hand at all times.  Even if I did have that chair I wouldn't have the space needed to get that together and get my mom in it.  Nothing beats human support.

I am glad you have a neighbor to help when needed.  I lifted my DH daily for a long time and it took a physical toll on me.  He has been bedridden for a year and finally my legs, and feet are healing and returning to near normal. 

I moved about 8 months ago so I no longer have the neighbors I'm used to that were more than willing to help me.   The nice man that helped me the other night has health issues.  I was not that comfortable asking him for assistance.  I saw his son's car parked on the street so I assumed he was home but he wasn't so the dad was the only person around that could help me.  We had to do it together because he  had problems with one of his arms.  I got an earful from him lecturing me about how I should have a live in helper and that he sees me walking my mom in the morning with my daytime helper and that he didn't think my mom was in good enough shape to walk.   I didn't want to bother explaining how exercise is crucial for people with PD.   My mom needs time to warm up and then she's pretty good but no one cares to listen to that part.  They see what they want to see and make judgement.

Lifting my mom has taken a toll on me already.  My scoliosis is pretty severe now.  I hurt all over but that's just life.