helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
biblio

Stationary pole a good idea?

They sell a stationary pole that runs from floor to ceiling with a "grab bar" in the middle of it. Would that be helpful in assisting a PWP to get up from a toilet or a chair? Has anyone tried one of these?  My father is skeptical about its usefulness because he prefers to lean on something rather than grab something when he is rising from a sitting position.  

If his arms are strong enough to lift himself up then I would think it's a good idea.  Do you have space for the pole and how steady is it?  Will it tip over? Would a cane with a stand on the bottom help him push up?

We installed a grab bar by the toilet and in the shower for my mom but due to her dementia she will never hold on to it because she has no idea why it's there.

Miracleseeker--

Thank you. His arms are weak (although he is trying to recondition) and he has difficulty with balance as well as dizziness due to low-blood-pressure problems.  Dad is now telling us that he definitely wants something to lean on because he lacks the strength to hoist himself out of a chair using the grab bar. He prefers to have an ottoman or a bench in front of the chair.  I'm unsure about the safety of that solution.

As for the toilet, it's positioned between the bathroom counter and the bathtub, so there's nowhere to put a grab bar. That's why we were thinking of putting a pole in front of the toilet. Again, that probably won't work, so maybe a sturdy bench or heavy vanity that he could lean on? He tends to lean over while he's standing up, lose balance, and fall. He says that leaning on something will help him regain balance and stand fully upright. 

Would putting a wooden chair or something in front of the toilet while he's using it help any? That way you could still move it out of the way for other family members.

We've just come to the same conclusion. With the commode legs adjusted to increase the height of the toilet seat, a chair opposite the toilet might just work. We tried using his sturdy shower chair, but that is a little too big for the available space and not quite high enough. We're going shopping for an alternative, which might not be a chair.  
  • Like 1

How about one of the toilet seats with arms? We looked into when my mother-in-law was staying with us after her hip replacement. It turned out by the time she was discharged from rehab, she didn't need it. 

http://www.southwestmedical.com/products/Raised-Toilet-Seat-35771.html

Actually, here's what we were looking at getting:

http://www.southwestmedical.com/products/Toilet-Safety-Frame-35774.html

Hello all

I bought my DH a toilet seat with arms, then one that didn't connect to the toilet seat.  He fell from various positions, using the arms to try and break his fall on the first occasion, second occasion he was unable to break his fall.  Both broke.  Biblio I question the stability of the pole based on my experience, now I just watch and help my DH on good or bad days.  If I can't be with him then he has a really stable bedside commode.  He hates using it, but I have it right next to the bed so that the bed is available for stability, since he leans a little the bed is on the side that he leans to.  Don't know if any of this will help you, just my experience.

Good luck, let us know what works best for you.

My sister-in-law died from complications of diabetes and PD one month after I was diagnosed. The last time we went to visit her I helped her use the commode in her room. She pulled herself up with two floor to ceiling bars they had installed in the bedroom. It seemed to work well for her, and she was quite advanced.

Dianne

Thanks so much for the info, Dianne and Trying hard. Mom and I are uncertain about the particular product for sale near us, the "Stander Security Pole and Curve Grab Bar", as there do seem to be stability and cleanliness issues.

Miracleseeker, wrt a cane, we are now looking at something called the "Couch Cane" for use in rising from a chair.  Golden01, thanks for the links. With the commode legs raised, his problem is not so much rising as losing balance after he has risen owing to poor posture.

We're still thinking of something heavy opposite the toilet, possibly with a grab bar above it. A shopping trip last night failed to turn anything up but we'll be looking again today.

Another option- Stand-Aid from Iowa offers what I call a "liftchair for the toilet". Bolts to the toilet and lifts the whole seat 13" and tips forward like a liftchair. Called the Power Toilet Aid (or PTA). They also have a bedside commode version.