helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Kris H.

No alcohol, ever?

Kris H.    0

Diagnosed last fall,64 years old, taking both long-acting and short-acting C/L as well as generic Mirapex. I know that info on both meds discourages alcohol, and I was never a big drinker anyway, but I miss having an occasional glass of wine with dinner out, or a bottle of beer or hard cider on occasion. I would never drink any amount and try to drive, but just wondering if anyone has experienced the occasional adult beverage, and are willing to share the effects? Thanks.

Gardener    194

Hi Kris,  I'm 58 Female, diagnosed 3 yrs. ago and I'm on C/L.  I've not had any problem with alcohol and medication.  I was on Mirapex with the C/L and did not have any problems with that drug combined w/ alcohol either.  I'm not a big drinker either, but I like a glass of wine with dinner (sometimes two).  Everyone is different so I guess you should just see how it effects you when you are at home and not planning to drive.  I think you will get a lot of response on this topic.

Rogerstar1    385

I drink two beers every day (Samuel Adams :-)) sometimes more and have never experienced adverse complications.  Indeed I've wondered if a drink or two or three doesn't stimulate dopamine production.

sign me : 'Two Beers'  

Edited by Rogerstar1
  • Like 2

old+slow    169

I'm on quite a few different meds and still enjoy a beer now and then. I def would not drive, but I usually pick and choose my times to drive anyways because of meds. I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking but I do like an ice cold beer once and awhile.

RNwithPD    168

It tends to give me a headache quite easily now, but otherwise no problems the once a year I drink on vacation.

young_dad    96

I still will have a beer with dinner every now and then and an occasional scotch when we go out. I don't notice any big differences.

MusicMan    771

I wonder if red wine might be the better choice, since it's supposed to have all these side benefits, like anti-inflammatory properties. Doesn't red wine also have antioxidants, just like blueberries?

MusicMan    771

Okay, I'm gonna resurrect this topic, because I went out Sunday night with my wife and some friends and had a great time....PD forgotten and symptoms GONE! Drank 4 beers (over the course of 4 hours) and was laughing and having a great time.

I'm not on dopamine yet, but will be soon. Can I start taking Sinemet and still have a party night every now and then, or is that gonna be a thing of the past?

Drummergirl    95

An occasional beer, white wine or a rum madras works just fine with me.

Red wine gives me a blasting headache....ROGER, I'm with you, I prefer SAM ADAMS!

You gotta still live and laugh. Like everything, in moderation.

TexasTom    716

What no Martini drinkers in the group....  

These days I stick with a nice good "German Style" Beer.  Stout, Porter, Ale.  One, occasionaly two, but that it.

Sigh, if I'm driving zero acohol as now way would I pass a road side stop.

Tom

young_dad    96

@TexasTom I'm with you on the beer, I dislike the current IPA trend.  I'd rather have a Guiness, poured correctly.  Otherwise, single-malt scotch.

cowgirl    3

Hi...This is my first post ever.  I'm a 68 year old female recently diagnosed with PD.  Started on Sinimet 25/100 CR 3Xdaily a few months ago, with great response.  Just added Requip and Azilect to the mix.  I got along with moderate wine intake, but don't know if I dare with the added 2 medications.  I feel very sleepy today.  Has anybody else experienced the mix of medications I am taking.  I have very rigid muscle tone and cramping.

graflexmaster    1,182

I do believe that I'll wander over and sit with Tom and young-dad......... Prost, Bitte ein Bit..... (Bitburger Pils please)....... and I prefer to enjoy my Scotch, like I like my women....... single (malt)....... neat........and well over the age of 21....................<GRIN> 

graflexmaster    1,182

Oh, and cowgirl? Welcome to the group. This might not be a good place to ask your question (due to the tread topic). I would suggest re-asking it either in open forum, or over in the Newly Diagnosed forum..........

young_dad    96

@graflexmaster I've found that age does not necessarily mean better.  Considering my age when I got PD (symptoms at 32, dxd at 34), it might be related.  Lately, I'm really enjoying Aberlour 12 yr.

MusicMan    771

I did check and there's supposedly no interaction between sinemet and alcohol (or azilect for that matter), but I'm guessing it would make you fairly sleepy. So if you go out, make sure the spouse drives....

Rogerstar is really making sense by his excellent choice of beer. I liked Guiness and sometimes Dos Equis. Warning: it is not safe to take the anticholinergic meds with alcohol. I had to find that out. Not much fun. I have migraine with aura and temporary oblique binocular dipoplia so if i drink even one beer it can be a trip to the ER. I loved to drink beer and was a moderate social drinker. No dui's or anything like that, but i love beer. But my condition is such that migraines are sudden and life-threatening. I am pretty happy the way things are, but there is hardly a better substitute for a good cold beer or "two" once in a while. Yeah, we catch on.

johnnys    460

Two beers is my limit.Seems Bar stools offer better sitting for back trouble.Got to have some fun,.Had a wonderful evening at the legion last week talking with veteran friends.

Good social interaction sometimes is better than alcohol.

• Like 1

Rogerstar1    385

Bar stools offer better sitting for back trouble. I'M 63 YEARS OLD YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON  I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED WITH THE TEMERITY TO SAY THAT! :-P  :-P

Had a  wonderful evening at the legion last week talking with veteran friends.   WITH VETERAN'S DAY JUST AROUND THE CORNER, LET ME NOTE MY APPRECIATION (GENUINE) FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.

THANKS JOHNNYS FROM ROGERSTAR.

Edited by Rogerstar1
  • Like 1