helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
LUTHERSFAITH

Robin Williams had early PD issues?

What depresses me the most is the idea of discouraging posts that are just "too" negative.  I read this forum and occasionally post because I function better with the brutal truth, not some sugar coated "goody two shoes" version of how I should be coping with a smile on my face.  If I wanted that I would quit reading this forum and go back to Facebook.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."  Can't believe the condemnation of Robin Williams.  We all have our own weaknesses and demons to battle.  Nice to know there are some here who are so morally superior.

I shouldn't have to remind anyone here that PD symptoms are a very individual thing and depression is commonly seen.  Why is it hard to imagine that his diagnosis of PD might have been the straw that broke the camel's back?  So, some folks with PD are lucky enough to never experience depression at any great level - well, pin a rose on you! 

As for being selfish in taking one's life, well that is a topic that generates a great deal of discussion.  My brother is in the last stages of MS.  While different than PD, there are many similarities in terms of caregiving.  I've watched my sister-in-law care for him over many years.  I'll not go into detail but, I really don't want to put my husband and family through that!  If you think that selfish - so be it.         

• Like 1

We all know that pd sucks and can be extremely hard to deal with. I am concerned that his choice of how to deal with his issues may lead others to believe that once dx'd their life is over. While we may have all felt that way your life isn't over just different. I think we need to support each other so we can enjoy each day to its fullest.My prayers go out to his family.

Need to VENT.....

THESE LAST FEW DAYS FOLLOWING THE ROBIN WILLIAMS SUICIDE has sent my emotions on a roller coaster!!

" I am not saying anything for or against his decision"- his life and decision are not for me to judge.......

I've gone from feeling sad, frustrated to down right MAD..... and around again and again...

My brain is full from reading articles relating HIS SUICIDE to PD, then reading~

" IT MAY BRING AWARENESS TO PD AND THEREFORE MORE MONEY FOR FUNDING"...blah blah blah..

I actually thought that way initially, then I thought, this is not a positive message for the YOPD or ANYONE with PD or ANY DISEASE.

IF, AND THAT's a BIG IF... IF IT DOES BRING MORE MONEY FOR PD- GREAT.....

{ BWTH DOES THAT SAY FOR US?}

I GUESS WE HAVEN'T MATTERED......

I don't mean to be a Negative Nellie or Debbie Downer, but OUR society of OBSESSION WITH HOLLYWOOD STARS AND ATHLETES HAS damaged REAL MAN/WOMAN KIND. WHAT HAPPENED TO TREAT EVERYONE EQUAL.....

Nuff said..I FEEL BETTER May not look it! but feel it

Karen

• Like 3

Karen, I have to agree with you...tired of reading about it...infact yours is the first posting I've read in acouple days.  It seems as everyone who knows I have PD looks at me as if I'm going to jump off a bridge soon. Still don't understand why the wife made the statement.  I could go on and on.

Patricia

• Like 1

Karen? If I could, I'd give you a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. You have put into words, what has been tumbling around in my mind for days....... A GREAT BIG thank you dear.!!!

• Like 1

I am shocked at the number of people that don't seem to know the difference between right and wrong.  Furthermore, I wonder what you say to your children?  Do you tell your children that it's ok to take heroin and cocaine because it not your place to judge them?  Do you tell your children that if life gets tough, it's ok for them to commit suicide?  Do you tell your children that they should hang around with friends that are raging drug addicts?

C'mon - there IS a difference between right and wrong.

I have PD and my life is not over!  (not even close)

• Like 1

Sorry patiot, I will not even try to argue your absurd argument examples.

I will however say this:

It is not your place nor anyone else's place to dictate if suicide is right or wrong for anyone except themselves. Since Robin is not and can not be here to answer for his actions, and nobody was there when he did what he did, therefore why he did what he did DIED WITH HIM. It is not your place nor mine to pass judgment on him or his final choice.

For you Mr Patriot to come here accusing myself and the others here, that we don't know right from wrong, because OUR individual opinions seem to violate YOUR belief system, is not only discriminatory on your part, but bigoted as well.

Patriot? Your post above is not only RUDE but, OFFENSIVE as well

That Sir is all I will say on the subject........... I bid you adieu

Edited by graflexmaster
  • Like 3

Hi PatriotM,

I agree that life is about choices one makes.

When I started writing my post it included LIFE IS ABOUT CHOICES- SOME GOOD AND SOME NOT SO GOOD....

I decided against that, as views differ widely.....

My statement of " I am not saying anything for or against his decision"- his life and decision are not for me to judge.......

This subject is too sensitive for many.... and I did not want to go there again.

So I decided to stick with what I did post.

... and no I did not tell my child or the students that I teach that it is ok to the above. Quite the opposite.

In fact I have LITTLE OR NO SYMPATHY FOR THOSE WHO <CHOOSE > TO POSION THEIR BODIES, AS HARSH AS THAT MAY SOUND. But we can only control so much-

My life is not over because of PD or any other tragic event....I refuse to let it ruin my life, it does impact it tho, some crappy days, but mostly wonderful days. I cherish every day I wake up, even if my meds decide to take a holiday, and I still have to go to work regardless of these misfiring neurons.

But I also recognize that inner strength varies and no matter what we preach or teach, there are some or many that we just cannot reach.

NONE OF US CHOOSE PD- It's a given, everyone's brain is physically different. How each deals with it, is internal and individual.

BUT WE CAN BAND TOGETHER AND TRY TO GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS THAT EVERYONE MATTERS.. not just the rich and famous..

Thanks for reading. Have a great week. I start back to school tomorrow after having my first summer off. And i must say, it's going to be a struggle getting back into the routine...SO, I WON't be chiming in as much.

✌️Karen

...and I WILL RE-STATE REGARDING CHOICES- I will not pass judgement on how people deal with things..

I meant taking recreational drugs, making POOR day to day decisions that impact others lives.

beyond that we can only HOPE THE BEST FOR ALL -

THE MEDIA HAS TURNED THIS INTO A POOP FEST FOR PD....

hell yes Michael I'll take the hug and smooch....back at yah

and Patricia, I had a wedding to attend on Saturday.... almost everyone I knew asked me how I was doing?? REALLY PEOPLE, not here not now-

It was an emotional wedding for me as well.....

Peace~

Karen -  Of course you have sympathy and plenty of it for those who elect to terminate their own lives.  I've read too many of your love inspired posts to think anything to the contrary...and so I don't.  Best to you this morning.  

Edited by Rogerstar1
  • Like 1

Graflexmaster,

I didn't accuse you of anything.  In fact, I didn't even mention you (or anyone else for that matter).  However, I seem to have struck a nerve.  If you need help discerning the difference between right and wrong, just ask and I'll be happy to help.  I do know the difference between right and wrong.  For example:

It is WRONG to take heroin and cocaine, not because they are illegal, but because these drugs almost always cause serious damage to those taking them.

It is WRONG (and selfish) to commit suicide and often greatly hurts those left behind.

Right is right.  Wrong is wrong.  It's just that simple.

Well, now Dr. Rob Schneider (NOT!) is saying that his PD drugs made him commit suicide.  Way to go a**hole.  Get a whole bunch of people scared to take their meds, despite the fact that the suicide rate of people with Parkinson's disease is similar or lower than the general population.

Also, if you want a political discussion, can I request you create a separate thread. I do not want to go over the Michael Brown stuff here, as we've seen in other threads, that many of us have very differing opinions when it comes to politics and I just don't want to get into that here.

Graflexmaster,

I didn't accuse you of anything.  In fact, I didn't even mention you (or anyone else for that matter).  However, I seem to have struck a nerve.  If you need help discerning the difference between right and wrong, just ask and I'll be happy to help.  I do know the difference between right and wrong.  For example:

It is WRONG to take heroin and cocaine, not because they are illegal, but because these drugs almost always cause serious damage to those taking them.

It is WRONG (and selfish) to commit suicide and often greatly hurts those left behind.

Right is right.  Wrong is wrong.  It's just that simple.

PatrriotM,

There's no discussion when you pull out straw man. When that happens, it all becomes ridiculous. If you are going to do that, why not change your name to Moral Police or Mr God Man, you know, just to save us all some time for the next time we need to know how to think or conduct ourselves.

Also, if you want a political discussion, can I request you create a separate thread.

Preferably in a different forum

Edited by musicman
  • Like 2

Wow- nice to see that a bunch of people with a neurodegenerative brain disease still have some fight in them! 

• Like 1

Annikin;

Just wait a minute.......... Who are you calling a Neurodegenerate????? I resemble that........ lmao

Hummmm, Lets see, degenerative joints........ neurodegenerative brain........... I GOT it !!

I'm a Degenerate.......in multiple disciplines........... Where do I get my "belt", and what colour aught it be?

just wondering........