helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
graflexmaster

DBS Just Got REAL

Well here's the report from the Neurosurgeon...........

We're good to go......... Seems I'm still an excellent candidate...... If we can get the Neuro-Psych appointment moved up, he'd like to schedule surgery for the morning of Dec. 4th....... (two days before my birthday), otherwise, surgery will be on Jan. 8th...............I'm voting for Dec 4th.

Well I just got a call from the Neuro-Psych's office, seems they had a cancellation today. So my Neuro-Psych appointment is today at noon instead of Dec. 8th.  That was the last piece of the puzzle to drop into place in order to schedule surgery on the 4th of Dec.. I let my MDS know as well as my surgeon's scheduler...... so if all goes well, my DBS surgery will be on Dec. 4th, with the stimulator/battery surgery one week later....... interesting, my birthday is Dec. 6th...

So I guess I'll be "wired" for my B-day.....lol

• Like 1

Sorry NN you're out of luck........  The Dr. said I did normal to above normal on everything except on one of the last tests.... but that wasn't an issue, because over all I did excellent....... YAY!! The ironic thing though, is although I did great on the memory tests, I can't remember which was which......lol so can't help you...............<SMILE>

I do believe that based on my experience, you'll do pretty good....... I don't see you having any problems..........

Good for you....so...you are good to go!!........so, is there any truth to the urban legend that you are prone to strikes of lightening after DBS??? .........;)

Congratulations, Michael. You have successfully run the DBS gauntlet and will be awarded with an electronic brain and membership in an exclusive club!

Dianne

I'm going to feel so stimulated.......... lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist.......

and to celebrate? (and the Dr. said I could), because I didn't like the idea of a hospital haircut and shave......... I went and had it done at a barber......... So yes, my head is bald and smoooth...................... much to my DW's dismay.............. although she still says that I'm cute.....

Michael glad to hear you've been cleared for DBS. One of the people from a support group I go to (when I can, it's not real local) had DBS who went from being totally frozen in a wheelchair to going kayaking. Another lady was not as happy she got some benefits but not a great change. I unfortunately am not eligible as those who fall a lot have a tendency to fall more after DBS. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see those who get it and it works out well for them. Good luck

Hey> I fall on a semi regular basis...lol. Let me tell you, I've had some seriously epic falls (like off a Boeing 777-300).......... We thought for years that my falls were due to a balance issue, but then found out that no, the falls were because I was freezing. So the big question is not "if" you fall, rather it's "why" you fall that needs to be addressed.

Edited by AB-Normal

Hey> I fall on a semi regular basis...lol. Let me tell you, I've had some seriously epic falls (like off a Boeing 777-300).......... We thought for years that my falls were due to a balance issue, but then found out that no, the falls were because I was freezing. So the big question is not "if" you fall, rather it's "why" you fall that needs to be addressed.

I have bn very conscious of freezing since you hv mentioned it...I think you are onto something...I find it interesting to study....I fell a good dozen times before PD dx....always thought it was because I walked fast...and clumsy....hmmmmmmm.

Well I guess it's time to wrap this thread up. It has been one hell of a wild ride. It all started last summer when I attended a Parkinson's symposium. When I arrived that morning, DBS was the furthest thing from my mind, when I left that afternoon? not only had it been suggested, but I had said "yes". Fast forward to today, the day before Christmas, and it has been one wild month. On the fourth, I had the first surgery, one to install wires inside my head. On the 17th, I had the battery/stimulator implanted, and wires connected to the ones from my head. Finally, on the 21st, everything was turned-on............. Although I don't actually "feel" anything, I know it's working, because of the lack of outward symptoms.......So now, I think that I am going to take some time and heal..... as my body is/has been so beat up in the process....... Moving forwards, I know it's only just begun, as I work with my MDS/programmer to find my own personal "sweet spot"... but that's a subject for later updates.............. Just know, that I appreciate ALL the love and support from everyone these past few months......... and for now? like I said, I'm just going to take some time to heal.........and recharge.............

I will leave everyone with something that for some strange reason I've taken to heart, and made my own through this time.....

This song says it all for those of us that have chosen to undergo DBS therapy for Parkinson's Disease.........

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC from the movie Fame (1980)

I sing the body electric
I celebrate the me yet to come
I toast to my own reunion
When I become one with the sun

And I'll look back on Venus
I'll look back on Mars
And I'll burn with the fire of ten million stars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars

I sing the body electric
I glory in the glow of rebirth
Creating my own tomorrow
When I shall embody the earth

And I'll serenade Venus
I'll serenade Mars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-wl2qqD7Y

love ya all......Michael

Edited by AB-Normal
  • Like 1

Well I guess it's time to wrap this thread up. It has been one hell of a wild ride. It all started last summer when I attended a Parkinson's symposium. When I arrived that morning, DBS was the furthest thing from my mind, when I left that afternoon? not only had it been suggested, but I had said "yes". Fast forward to today, the day before Christmas, and it has been one wild month. On the fourth, I had the first surgery, one to install wires inside my head. On the 17th, I had the battery/stimulator implanted, and wires connected to the ones from my head. Finally, on the 21st, everything was turned-on............. Although I don't actually "feel" anything, I know it's working, because of the lack of outward symptoms.......So now, I think that I am going to take some time and heal..... as my body is/has been so beat up in the process....... Moving forwards, I know it's only just begun, as I work with my MDS/programmer to find my own personal "sweet spot"... but that's a subject for later updates.............. Just know, that I appreciate ALL the love and support from everyone these past few months......... and for now? like I said, I'm just going to take some time to heal.........and recharge.............

I'm so glad that everything is going so well for you. !!!

SING THE BODY ELECTRIC from the movie Fame (1980)

And I'll look back on Venus

I'll look back on Mars

And in time

And in time

We will all be stars

I sing the body electric

I glory in the glow of rebirth

Creating my own tomorrow

When I shall embody the earth

Great Walt Whitman..,

Hey Michael,

That is terrific that you have had the dbs operation and having good results.  It is a great thing!  I hope that you heal well, get those electrodes fine tuned to thier optimum performance, and enjoy the benefits of the surgery forever.  

I have the cassette tape of that soundtrack somewhere. The case dissappeared years ago. Somewhere, someday, I'll find a bunch of empty cassette cases, single socks and a few remote controls.