helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Lindasz

Night time Depends leaking

Lindasz    0

Does anyone have any solutions to preventing leakage when my DH wears Depends while sleeping?  It seems they leak out the sides. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Beau's Mom    1,060

Hello, Lindasz,

Medical supply houses offer both disposable and wash and reuse under pads to protect the sheets when leaks occur. I prefer the wash and reuse pads, because the disposable ones are cheaply made (the pads we used to train our dog were better made) and absorb very little. To keep the under pads from moving beneath your loved one as they move in bed, they can be held in place by covering them with a folded sheet or bath blanket that tucks under the sides of the mattress. It's much better than changing the entire bed in the middle of the night!

I hope you have a visual of that!

Dianne

Lindasz    0

Thanks, Dianne!  I have very thick plastic on top of the mattress, then the mattress cover, then another layer of thick plastic, the top sheet and two washable bed pads on top of the sheet.  Whew!  Our challenge is how to stop the leakage from the Depends. My DH is really embarrassed.  I have used extra absorbent liners and also cut them in half and placed them by the leg openings.  Nothing seems to work. This can't be an unusual issue, right?

Beau's Mom    1,060

Linda,

It is most certainly a PD issue.  I just finished a study where I was given a new incontinence medication call mirabegron or placebo. My incontinence was greatly improved, but I don't know for sure that it was the medication. My MDS ordered me some anyway, as it is already on the market. Most other incontinence drugs are incompatible with PD meds.

You might have better luck if you put an extra washable bed pad and cover them all with a sheet or bath blanket folded lengthwise and laid across the middle of the bed, over the pads, and tucked in on both sides. That way, you would only have to change the over sheet, pads and Depends.

Are you using the most absorbent Depends? My doctor orders my incontinence supplies and my insurance covers them. They come shipped from a medical supply that offers way more solutions than you can find in a retail store.

One of the most popular ones that ships nationwide is ActivStyle in Minneapolis, MN. Their number is 1-800-651-6223.

I would also limit liquids after dinner, if you haven't already.

Dianne

miracleseeker    675

I use pull ups for my mom because I do not know how to use regular diapers and it looks very complicated and hard to put on.  Anyways... I have tried every brand available including tranquility and abena.   Currently I'm sticking to Tena only because it's most cloth like and the thickest and most comfortable.  My mom leaks  a lot every night.  It is unpredictable as to when she will go.  I get her up 2 times a night and  always seem to miss the actual deed.  I get her on the toilet and nothing comes out then we go back to bed and then she will go a short time later.  It never fails.   She sleeps on a liner and I have to wash that and her night shirt because the wetness will go up and get her upper body wet too. I do not let her wear pants because what's the point?   It's a mess.   For whatever reason she hardly pees in the daytime and likes to save up for bed.  I don't want to medicate her for that because it is not good for her mind and I would prefer it to come out naturally because it's to clean out her system.

It probably makes sense to get a diaper one size too small so it will fit nice and snug but I prefer to give her room to breathe and she wear 2 of them. One thick one and one lighter kind.  If I put a booster pad then it gets too bulky and for sure the sides crack open.  I wish someone can invent a diaper that is paper thin but bulks up only when wet.  Oh and I also bought an alarm that you put in the diaper that goes off when it gets wet.  The problem with that is it either does not go off or the slightest bit of wetness will set it off. It is also disgusting to take out and rinse if indeed the diaper is soaked. 

If I missed a brand that I should try I would like some suggestions but I think I have tried them all.

Edited by miracleseeker

elle    104

I've got a suggestion!!  I have also been through every product  I could find and came across one called Prevail PM. IT WORKS!!  I was washing my husband sheets every day including the cover.  Now I have to do it about one a week!  Hows that for an improvement??  This produt is exceptional and so is the company.  I contacted them to get advice on the sizing and they sent me four products to try!  I ended up with the diapers.... they have wicking and pull the moisture away from the skin and have aloe to protect so he no longer gets a rash.  One at night does it!!  But I use the underlying pads just in case.

I have also switched to the Prevail pull ups for day.  All of their products are soft like cloth and have more room than depends.  My dh is between a large and X-L but he wears L in the PM and XL in the daytime.  The PM, having tabs, is has a lot of variance in fitting.  I push his legs up like a baby and slip ot under and just tab it.  And he weighs 210!  And that's my two cents which will buy you exactly nothing in todays world!

Oh you can find the company's name by Googling it If you want some free samples to try but after I decided on my product I found the best deal by the case on Amazon.

Edited by elle
  • Like 3

Thanks for the information about Prevail.  My dad had Alzheimer's and incontinence was a continuing challenge for his around-the-clock caregivers who were fastidious in taking care of him.  We used the night time Depends but it wasn't enough.  They had to change him about every three hours-bad for his sleep.  We were trying Tranquility with an extra absorbent booster pad which was way better.  The caregivers were so happy when I found it.  They constantly had to use creme for his skin.  I wish I had known about Prevail PM because bed sores are such a worry with bed bound patients.  There's a site titled Alzheimer's Reading Room that I like and you might want to post there because the number of Alzheimer's patients and their issues are also overwhelming.  Bob Demarco originated and runs that site.  Their format isn't set up like this NPF site-I never did find anything comproble for Alzheimer's which is such a shame because while there are one million Parkinson's patients in the US there is six time the number-six million-with Alzheimer's. 

jtprecht    0

My Husband has night time leaking with depends. He uses Depends Guards inside the depends at night. It does not work all the time but it helps. I buy them at WalMart

Linda Susan    0

Thanks, Dianne!  I have very thick plastic on top of the mattress, then the mattress cover, then another layer of thick plastic, the top sheet and two washable bed pads on top of the sheet.  Whew!  Our challenge is how to stop the leakage from the Depends. My DH is really embarrassed.  I have used extra absorbent liners and also cut them in half and placed them by the leg openings.  Nothing seems to work. This can't be an unusual issue, right?

I have the same problem.  Pads, pads, and then some.  I tried using an external catheter and my dh wound up with a urinary tract infection.  And they slipped off a lot and I had a wet bed anyway.  I put a depend on him and also insert a pad.  This really seems the only way to absorb a lot of the urine, but an adult male bladder holds a lot of urine.  Miserable.

miracleseeker    675

Hi Linda,

My mom and you husband should have a contest because my mom can probably out do him.  Sad to say this as if it's something to brag about. haha  Pads only add bulk to my mom and once she's fully padded she can hardly lay flat on the bed much less keep her legs closed to a comfortable width if that makes sense.  She also sleeps on her side at times which shifts the diaper and then it's not evenly covered and that's how she leaks out most of the time. If  she has a super flow night and then there is nothing that can be done other than laundry at 2am.   You are not alone.  I feel your pain!

Edited by miracleseeker

elle    104

You all are putting a pad, incontinence pad under your mom, the ones you find at Walmart aren't you?  The one with paper on the inside and plastic on the outside.  Prevail holds 5-7 cups of urine used properly without an insert so the diaper can pull the urine into the diaper.  Its called wicking...same as skiing socks do called wick dry socks.  And I'm from Texas and have never skied...poor me.  Now I'm too old.  Anyway the pads catch most drips I have so laundry is only once or twice a week.  GRIN.

Sorry I don't have time to find the Alzheimer.s board. My dh has had an infection so I have been spoon feeding and making more trips to the floor than usual to pick him up. Such is the life of a caregiver.

miracleseeker    675

I use a different kind of pad that does not have plastic on the back so it is suppose to leak through to a diaper to give more layers.   I think my mom might leak through your diapers too.  She doesn't pee much during the day and seem to let it all out when she sleeps.

Elle - this lifting business is so aweful.  What can we all do without another person 24/7?

elle    104

I don't know MS.  You once suggested my hiring a strong teen to be on call for lifts but somehow I can't see bothering someone in the middle of the night.  We have Pt again and she has give me genius ideas about how to better get him into bed and the car...both preventing falls.  I wish I could help you!!

genden69    178

I have found Tranquility Premium Overnight pull-ups work best for DH. I buy them on Amazon. Sometimes there are leaks, so I use pads under the sheet. I used to change his bed in case of leaks during the night, but now I just position an absorbent towel or two over the leak, change his pull-up, and wash everything in the morning. So much easier for me and he is dry even if the sheet and pads under the towels are wet.

archcherub    0

I don't buy diapers I get pull ups and mostly from Amazon.  Currently I buy Molicare, Tena overnight, and Abena.

great! thanks i will go look out for tena.

is there anyone living in asia here? i am posted to asia for work and hoping to buy cheaply here... there are no amazon here.

at least not now.

i found a website. let me try and check before i update anyone. hope the tena here is not poor quality =(

miracleseeker    675

Genden -  Do you change your DH in bed or do you get him up to the bathroom and change him while he's on the toilet?   My mom sleeps with the abenna then tena over that and finally her Pj's and sleep on a washable pad.   The sheets stay dry so I only wash her pj bottoms and the pad most of the time.

Is Tena sold in Asia?  I don't know.  It's not the most absorbent which is why I only use that for the 2nd layer at bedtime.   In the daytime the molicare mobile pull ups work good.  My mom has lost a lot of weight so the medium is loose on her but the small is too small.  Can't get it right all the time.    Tranquility is often raved by a lot of people but I find it to be really rough and plastic like.  My mom again is in between the sizes with that also but it's even bigger on her than the molicare.   They all cost a lot.

Pathfinder    65

Genden -  Do you change your DH in bed or do you get him up to the bathroom and change him while he's on the toilet?   My mom sleeps with the abenna then tena over that and finally her Pj's and sleep on a washable pad.   The sheets stay dry so I only wash her pj bottoms and the pad most of the time.

Is Tena sold in Asia?  I don't know.  It's not the most absorbent which is why I only use that for the 2nd layer at bedtime.   In the daytime the molicare mobile pull ups work good.  My mom has lost a lot of weight so the medium is loose on her but the small is too small.  Can't get it right all the time.    Tranquility is often raved by a lot of people but I find it to be really rough and plastic like.  My mom again is in between the sizes with that also but it's even bigger on her than the molicare.   They all cost a lot.

Related question, does Medicare or insurance cover incontinence supplies? I have no clue about any of this! Where do most of you purchase, locally or online?

genden69    178

I have a urinal for DH--stand him up by his bed, change his diaper, provide a dry bed and put him back in bed. The logistics are different for males than females. We have to find what works for us. It is good to have this discussion because I don't know everything available. There may be better ways and better diapering products and it is good to know about them.

genden69    178

Incontinence supplies are not covered by Medicare unless the PWP is on hospice. However, they are tax deductible as a medical expense for those who itemize. Also, I understand that if the PWP is a veteran, the VA will cover those supplies. This is the way I understand it. If someone knows different, please help me with the correct information.

miracleseeker    675

I used to get my mom out of bed at 2 or 3 am to change her out of her wet pull ups and then get her back in bed but I decided to leave it alone and wait until 5am.  It got easier when I switched her over to Abena that can hold so much more than any other pull ups she's worn.  It's not perfect but whatever leaks out is minimal enough for me to wait.

archcherub    0

yes, tena is sold in asia. i just ordered 2 days ago via Adult Diapers in Singapore 

and it arrived today. surprisingly swift

i have been assigned in asia for 3 months and i was so worried abt the quality available here (u can imagine i really don't want to pack so much diapers in my luggage)

best of all, the tena packs are made in EU.

i was half-expecting tena packs to come made in china or something. thankfully it is good old european productions.