helplinedonate
Gardener

Strange "electrical nerve" sensations

Good morning -  Would like to know if others have this symptom (which is somewhat difficult to describe).  Many times per day and more often at rest, I get these waves of what feels like a tingling charge lasting several seconds each and often repeating.  This happens in my chest and trunk area most of the time but has occurred in other parts of my body.  I get a similar sensation in response to unexpected noise (i.e., someone coughing, sneezing, slam of a door, etc.).

The symptom is unpleasant but not painful.  I'm assuming it is PD related as I did not have this symptom before my dx. 

My mom gets them from time to time.  It's like small jolts that makes her jump and twitch for a few seconds here and there.  I mentioned it to her neuro years ago and at first she thought it might be small seizures but she was checked out and was fine.

Earlier this year my mom was on Amantadine brieftly.  That made those jolts more frequent and then it stopped after I stopped the drug.  So it is probably side effects from the drugs and/or another quirk of PD.

I don't know if this is similar or not to what you experience, but I sometimes get this feeling (usually in my leg or arm) when I am at rest that literally feels like something is "buzzing" inside.  Maybe down a muscle or something.  The crazy thing is that the best way I can describe it is that it feels like there is a cell phone on vibrate.  :)  Now, if I could just figure out how to "answer" it, and switch it off of vibrate mode all would be well.

yes. my husband's friend who has PD is having such drastic jolts and jerks that he can hardly stand it. he also has dyskensia all the time. he hopes to have DBS in Dec. if all goes well. In the meantime he is getting vey weak. he was on the highest dose of leba/dops 1200mgs a day and it was wearing off in about 2 or 3 hours. he has been having to go to bed after he eats a high carb meal because he crashes and gets so weak. the nurologist doesn't seem to know what causes this reaction. some days he is stronger than others.

I get these same "zaps."  I've always attributed it to the anti-depressants (SSRI's such as Celexa and SSNRI's like Effexor).  Have you ever tried stopping those? WOW!  Major electrical zaps! 

Kevin

• Thanks 1

That's interesting.  I'm on Celexa and I just went through the weaning process in order to start a different anti-depressant.  No one mentioned any unpleasant sensations with unexpected noise - wonder what that's about.  Thanks for your replies.  Gardener

I get a buzzing/vibration thing in my arms like what HSS describes (BTW, welcome HSS to our little corner of reality).......... and no the mute button doesn't seem to work....sigh

Oh, I've never taken anything for depression..........

• Like 1

I get electrical feelings in my back - it feels like shooting sparks.  Like you said uncomfortable but not painful.  I get the "cell phone buzz" (love that description) in my legs mostly.  It's all crazy.  

• Like 1

My buzzing, prickling, vibrating sensations are pretty much constant; I've never felt sudden jolts. For eg. Right now they are in my left foot and calf, and also near the bottom of my spine and the top of my head. Sometimes when I'm paying attention I can feel it kind of moving up through my spine. Sometimes it's more like a sensation of heaviness and other times like the top of my head is going to come off.

Part of the readon why i never consulted a doctor about these sensations though I've had them for more than 10 years now is in the yoga literature they talk about 'kundalini' energy. In tai chi and qigong as well, we practice feeling the energy between our hands.

I am pretty much convinced it is some kind of bio-electricity because when I am really buzzing I can feel the sparks going off, about an inch away from my skin (sometimes in front of my forehead, and I first felt this after a session of yoga). And quite often when I touch something I get static (like the shopping cart at the grocery store).

Interesting.

Yes I know what you are talking about. I mostly get them in my upper legs.  It feels like an electric razor or cell phone vibrating.  Very strange.  It's not like the "zaps" one gets from going off antidepressants (I know that feeling). I don't know if this is PD related or not.

My buzzing, prickling, vibrating sensations are pretty much constant; I've never felt sudden jolts. For eg. Right now they are in my left foot and calf, and also near the bottom of my spine and the top of my head. Sometimes when I'm paying attention I can feel it kind of moving up through my spine. Sometimes it's more like a sensation of heaviness and other times like the top of my head is going to come off.

Part of the readon why i never consulted a doctor about these sensations though I've had them for more than 10 years now is in the yoga literature they talk about 'kundalini' energy. In tai chi and qigong as well, we practice feeling the energy between our hands.

I am pretty much convinced it is some kind of bio-electricity because when I am really buzzing I can feel the sparks going off, about an inch away from my skin (sometimes in front of my forehead, and I first felt this after a session of yoga). And quite often when I touch something I get static (like the shopping cart at the grocery store).

Interesting.

Wow, if AB Normal gets what you experience, what's going to happen when he gets DBS??? We will have to call him Sparky Parkie!

Haha (sorry guys, my l dopa is just a little high this morning...don't mind me...just carry on...) :)

Thanks for posting this question!!! I have been experiencing this for a couple of days. My doctor adjusted my DBS and raised the frequency by around 20,000 mhz on Monday. Today is Wednesday, and I thought my DBS was shorting out. LoL It feels, to me, like I have a pulse generator hooked up to my back. I called the hotline that the hospital has for DBS Patients, and I have to be there tomorrow to have my unit tested. It's a rough road that we Parkinson's patients have to travel, but it's good to know we're not alone!!! Thanks Again,

I get all types of buzzing in my Left arm and leg,sometimes painful,sometimes not painful,they are worse during wearing off periods.Sometimes I get them during my on periods.Gardener you are not alone.

Hello

Well good to hear we all have company with this problem.My jerking sessions almost always start after the sensations.While this is a complicated problem there are simple solutions..

First concentration seems to work well.I never get them till my mind or body relaxes ,so keep busy,lol Another  simple help for me was ibuprofen .It does help.Alcohol stops for awhile but I avoid it now due to taking comtan.Ive cut my c/l down to 3 pills a day now with 1 comtan,pretty low but it has benefits mentally seems my multitasking has returned but don't over due.lol laughter therapy keeps me breaking the temperamental cycle along with my friendly advice from Dr.Low,always there to keep me going.Good sleep helps .Jerks and pain went away lassummer after I changed brands ,activis (r539inprint) to MYlan cl2.But why they came back now even on Mylan is a mystery.

Big help for me is to keep my mind off my self as much as possible..There is so much going on today.Poverty,inequality,poor wages,no pensions to look forward to.helping improve a life for others is very rewarding.

Lots of things to keep my mind busy and keep the jerks away.lol

Has anyone got a good answer form a doctor on this problem??????Mine seems to think it's stress.lol

Happy Memorial Day