helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
graflexmaster

DBS Update

Hey Michael, Feeling a bit nervous is but natural. Not to worry mate, you will come out all primed up and raring to go!!!

My MDS feels that I am a right candidate for DBS,but had serious doubts whether there was anything in my cranium. Had an MRI done and thankfully, it's not empty and no placard stating "Upstairs to let"!!!

• Like 1

Hey Michael, Feeling a bit nervous is but natural. Not to worry mate, you will come out all primed up and raring to go!!!

My MDS feels that I am a right candidate for DBS,but had serious doubts whether there was anything in my cranium. Had an MRI done and thankfully, it's not empty and no placard stating "Upstairs to let"!!!

Is DBS done in India as commonly as in the US? Did India do the procedures before US? Silly me, it the voltage the same ???:)

It wd be terrible to fly to India with DBS and realize you aren't on the same wave length...hahaha

Michael says, "yeah, really funny, NN....real funny!".......:)

Let's see, if "Mikey likes it....and if Gautam likes it....hmmmmmmm, maaaaaybeeeee.....my new normal will definitely be a NEW normal!!

LOL, Gautam!!

Don't worry about my "upstairs" Gautam. I've rented the extra space to a few of my favorite imaginary friends. They "like" to keep me company............  heeheeheehee

• Like 1

[qote name=New normal" post="82080" timestamp="1416851452]Is DBS done in India as commonly as in the US? Did India do the procedures before US? Silly me, it the voltage the same ???:)

It wd be terrible to fly to India with DBS and realize you aren't on the same wave length...hahaha

Mich#t3heael says, "yeah, really funny, NN....real funny!".......:)

Let's see, if "Mikey likes it....and if Gautam likes it....hmmmmmmm, maaaaaybeeeee.....my new normal will definitely be a NEW normally!!

NN, no,it's not as common in India as in your country! However, in the last ten Years quite a few Hospitals have started DBS inplants!

No, the voltage in India is much higher- 220 volts - shocking ain't it?!!

"NEW Normally" you are, hope it doesn't turn in to Never normal!!!????????????

• Like 1

Well I had my pre-surgery appointment with my MDS this morning, and surgery is a "go" for next Thurs. Dec 4th at 7AM. With Battery/Stimulator placement one week later. My first programming appointment is set for Dec. 22. Lead placement will be STN.For those that might be interested, the actual lead diameter is about the same diameter as the lead for your ear-bud. 

• Like 3

All set for lift off...size of your ear bud...like we r talking about the size of the cord leading to the ear bud, right? Not the "bud" that goes in your ear.....!!?

IF I have two holes drilled in MY head the size of an ear bud...my little ole pea brain will just slosh OUT!!

U go in the am...or stay over night the day before?

This is really exciting...:) we are WITH you, buddy!!

New Normal

Posted Today, 06:13 PM

All set for lift off...size of your ear bud...like we r talking about the size of the cord leading to the ear bud, right? Not the "bud" that goes in your ear.....!!?

IF I have two holes drilled in MY head the size of an ear bud...my little ole pea brain will just slosh OUT!!

Ok let me see if I can make it more clear for you NN............
The lead that is implanted in the brain is 1.5mm diameter (about the same as the lead that GOES TO your ear bud).
The burr holes drilled in the skull, are 15mm in diameter (about the same diameter as a US Dime)

I'm assured, that no brains have ever "sloshed" out......silly girl...........

and yes I have to report to the hosp. at 5AM......... (BLECH)...................

New Normal

Posted Today, 06:13 PM

Ok let me see if I can make it more clear for you NN............

The lead that is implanted in the brain is 1.5mm diameter (about the same as the lead that GOES TO your ear bud).

The burr holes drilled in the skull, are 15mm in diameter (about the same diameter as a US Dime)

I'm assured, that no brains have ever "sloshed" out......silly girl...........

and yes I have to report to the hosp. at 5AM......... (BLECH)...................

YOWZERS!!! I was just kidding about being the size of the ear bud....just JOKIN'!! I had this image of like a tiny catheter size...not a GARDEN HOSE!!!

Ok, I'll reset my emotions here...uhhhhh, today I am grateful that you and I both have big heads!!!! How's that?!?!? :)

you will be just fine, buddy....thanks for sharing...and thanks for enduring the humor...u know how the Irish are...we were joking through every famine and war....that's just who we are...instead of just eating potatoes when they were scarce, after all, we made whiskey!! :)hugs to u and yr DW....:)

Suggestion: as a courtesy to the surgical staff, maybe forego the chili a few days before the surgery...:) :))

YOWZERS!!! I was just kidding about being the size of the ear bud....just JOKIN'!! I had this image of like a tiny catheter size...not a GARDEN HOSE!!!

Ok, I'll reset my emotions here...uhhhhh, today I am grateful that you and I both have big heads!!!! How's that?!?!? :)

you will be just fine, buddy....thanks for sharing...and thanks for enduring the humor...u know how the Irish are...we were joking through every famine and war....that's just who we are...instead of just eating potatoes when they were scarce, after all, we made whiskey!! :)hugs to u and yr DW.... :)

Suggestion: as a courtesy to the surgical staff, maybe forego the chili a few days before the surgery... :) :))

THERE is our NN!!!!  She's back!  :-)  Have really missed your humor these past days.  :-)

Well it sure looks like December is going to quite busy..........According to my Dr.'s, here's my schedule as of now:

Today:

Pre-op MRI

Dec 2

Hosp. Pre-op appointment

Dec 3

PCP appointment

Chiropractor Appointment

Dec 4

DBS Surgery

Dec 17

DBS Battery/Stimulator implant

Dec 22

MDS appointment for first DBS programming

Dec 30

Follow up DBS surgery appointment with surgeon

Of course the above does not include the holidays........lol

busy huh?

Edited by AB-Normal

Michael,

What are they looking for in the MRI? I'm just curious, since an MRI usually isn't helpful in pd, other than ruling out tumors or lesions.

Busy week you have my friend... I'd be so nervous. Your a trooper and others who have undergone DBS.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Mapping the brain is such an exact science now...I recall the precision used over 15 years ago when DH had a radioglygolysis procedure to deaden the nerves in his face to eliminate pain from bilateral tri geminal neuralgia. The science has become even better yet.

With the technology available now, brain surgery has improved dramatically. That is why my DH supports DBS for me.

But, of course, I am waiting for Michael...so he can coach me thru it......he is my hero even though he a member of the "normal" family.

Yup, I'm planning to be the candle holder for Christmas dinner............ :-P

Yep, buddy, let your light so shine! Hahaha Instead of a few watts short of a lightbulb, some may say you are a few flickers short of a full flame....!!! Hahahahaha.... (So bad ...I KNOW....but we both have a little bit of "dark humor"...<get it?? Get it???? They're going over your head, boy! > ...,,,)) :) (Quote from the famous Foghorn Leghorn!) Funny how we r getting selective memory....I am losing good stuff...but still have Foghorn Leghorn jokes rumbling around up there...ahh, the bizarre thing they call PD)

Well, guess at least you won't be called a "hot head" anymore !!!!! Hahahahaha..where is old and slow when I need him!!!!! :)

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for coming with me on this journey. I plan to keep posting her with updates (and humor) right up till they take away my tablet just prior to surgery. I'll resume posting here as soon as possible after surgery with anything and everything I can remember from the surgical process. I'll then continue to update the rest of the process and after......... until everything is programed and stable...............

again. HUGE thanks

hugs

• Like 3

Jokes,aside...it is so cool you are sharing this in such detail...I don't think I wd ...would..even consider DBS if you didn't bring the whole thing close up and personal....you have made it REAL.....just a few more days, then we count hours....remember...rest is good...Gautam sd..said it all in a recent post regarding meditation and allowing the brain to rest....

No more silly jokes, buddy, I'm going to concentrate ....sending spoons...and positive vibes...all is good...your turn is coming up as I draw closer to my date...and then you can make candle jokes to me to keep me "off topic" for a while.....:)...

You have a lot of friends here...even some lurkers, I wd..would guess....we've got yr ...your back...:)

4 days, 6hrs, and 6 minutes............. till I report to the hosp..........

Sorry, I've already started the countdown thing........... dang timer inside my head........(I wonder if I can get it removed??)lol

Anyway, I figure I'm going to continue to post right up till they take my tablet away before surgery. While I'm in surgery, and recovery, Suzanne will post any updates until I'm able to post on my own........... I plan to keep everyone up to date throughout the whole process..........

Edited by AB-Normal
  • Like 2