helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

A thread for anyone interested in topics of Christian faith--all invited.

1,522 posts in this topic

In an effort to prevent offense by those who do not appreciate spiritually related things being included within the forum topics, this thread has been created for reading/posting/commenting/questioning by anyone interested in things of the Christian faith.  As far as I could tell from the forum rules, this would not be against  policy, and it's my hope it may be a source of encouragement, strength, and information for anyone to feel free to come to at any time. Any way we can cut back contention I think would be helpful.  :-) 

Perhaps others can create similar threads they would like to develop for specific beliefs they are  passionate about.  

From Senior Living Ministries, Daily Devotional--Nov. 12, 2014

If you ever get a glimpse inside the nest of an eagle, you’ll see something fascinating. A mother eagle starts building with thorns, broken branches, sharp rocks, and other items that seem entirely unsuitable for the project. Then she lines the nest with a thick padding of wool, feathers, and fur from animals she has killed, making it soft and comfortable for the eggs.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.— ISAIAH 40:31

By the time the growing birds reach flying age, they don’t want to leave because of the comfort of the soft nest. So the mother eagle begins pulling up the soft carpet, baring the sharp rocks and branches. As more of the bedding gets plucked up, the nest becomes more uncomfortable for the young eagles. This encourages them to leave their home and move on to more mature behavior.

In order to move forward, the young eagles must be made uncomfortable. And in order for us to move forward into spiritual maturity, sometimes God does the same thing: He gets you out of your comfort zone and puts you in a place where you have to jump out and trust Him to help you soar!

Wherever God is pushing you from being comfortable today, see it as a chance to develop a deeper trust in Him and soar on the wings of faith He’s given you.

Prayer Challenge
Pray that God would show you where He wants you to jump out and trust Him to bring you to a new level in your spiritual journey.
Edited by Linda Garren
8 people like this

Linda,

It took courage to start this thread. People with no religious faith can be nervous around gospel centered discussions. I know because I was once there. I always felt religious discussions were contrived for the sole purpose of "snaggy" me into their circle...then they would corrupt my mind into some kind of cult philosophy...strip me from independent thinking, clothe me among the masses who are expected then to provide material provisions to sustain the "church."

Yep, I was sure there. I grew up in a home where the word God was only part of an expletive.

I have changed dramatically...and not by the influence of others...but by the distinct influence of a higher power that I can not deny. Unexplained miracles happened ...... Curious coincidences I cd not explain...and then the emerging spirit from within that assures me of the truth.

And so I became a follower of the Savior Jesus Christ. I am a better person for it.

It is important that people who feel uncomfortable in such a discussion to know that a discussion such as what I envision you are seeking, is not proselyting ....when I reference words whose reference is to religion....I am not doing it to influence anyone else...or seek their consensus....it is my language now....and I know I can relate with others who have similar belief systems....

So I hope this thread is successful.....for those who don't want to engage...that is just fine......others who do feel comfortable and safe in expressing their thoughts should find this thread a safe harbor....free from views that intend to provoke conflict and controversy. In NO way am I suggesting censoring discussion...simply asking quietly for the freedom to have one thread....one among hundreds of topics.....just one thread that is a comfort to people with like minded values.....who can share...not defend..their beliefs.

So good luck...I hope some lurkers,out there who have hesitated will join us in a round table discussion....sharing times where our testimonies have grown...moments when we our beliefs have been confirmed......

3 people like this

NN, thank you for sharing your background with me. I can identify, as I was once there, too, where I kept my distance from Christians because of such discomfort. And I know exactly--exactly--what you mean about how God worked within you to bring you closer to Him, and how the Holy Spirit worked in you to ensure and seal your faith.  Belief in Him comes from our being open to Him and then He takes it from there.  It's not something someone can convince another about.

I surely hope it was clear what I was doing in setting up the thread--that I wanted people to CHOOSE whether to read things Christian or not--and that anyone interested in or who already is a Christian would feel comfortable to come on in. I also think this helps others who have strong beliefs in something else to feel free to start a thread of their own about that belief so that people can understand theirs better.

And I also pray it is clear that this is not a thread to proselytize, but to share, be encouraged, bring in questions (seekers), and remain a safe harbor where Christians can openly discuss what God is doing in their lives and/or who may have questions to ask other believers.

1 person likes this

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing but in the past have been attacked for expressing my beliefs

One of the hardest thing fir me is to see Gods will for my life. How am I suppose to honor him through my pd

Thank you starting this thread and I look forward to sharing our faith

1 person likes this

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing but in the past have been attacked for expressing my beliefs

One of the hardest thing fir me is to see Gods will for my life. How am I suppose to honor him through my pd

Thank you starting this thread and I look forward to sharing our faith

Hi, Noah.  I'm so glad you came into our little group here.  Welcome. 

Would love to know a little about you.  Things like, how long you've been a Christian, where you are from, how long you've been on the forum, when you were diagnosed, etc.  I think it would help anyone here who would like to comment on the things you are wondering about to know you a little better.  Thanks!

NN and I look forward to sharing our faith with you, too.  :-)

Linda

Beautiful text and devotional, Linda.

Thank you.

Thanks for letting me know, BRG.  Please feel free to come on in and join us whenever you would like.

Just FYI:  I may  be off line most of the day today (Thursday, 11/13/14). Hope to be back tomorrow.  I have to climb out of paperwork that is burying me quickly and take care of it.  :-)

Have a nice day, everyone!

1393-InTouchBanner2011.jpg

Victory Over Unforgiveness--Nov. 13, 2014

Immediately after teaching His followers to pray, Jesus gave a warning about allowing unforgiveness to reside in the heart. He said that those who refuse to forgive others won't be forgiven by the Father.

Do not misunderstand Jesus' meaning here. Believers don't lose their salvation when they refuse to forgive. Rather, they break fellowship with God because their unrepentant attitude gets in the way of regular confession and repentance. The Lord cannot ignore sin, and His Spirit will bring wrong behavior to the believer's attention until he or she deals with it.

Forgiveness is an act of the will more than an act of the heart. Often people don't feel like being merciful to someone who has wronged them. But a resentful spirit grows into a terrible burden. The Lord knows that forgiveness is best, even when it is difficult.

You won't deal with a sin until you see it as God does. So assume full responsibility for your unforgiving attitude, and acknowledge that it is a violation of His Word. Claim the divine mercy He offers, and ask Him to enable you to lay aside anger and resentment against the other person(s). As part of the decision to move forward in grace, make a habit of praying for those who hurt you. And if God so leads, seek their forgiveness for your wrong attitude.

A bitter and resentful spirit doesn't fit who we are in Christ. Nor is it healthy to carry an angry attitude through life. That's why Scripture emphasizes the need to forgive. Choose to be liberated from your burden--Jesus promised to make us free when we release our sins to Him (John 8:36).

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.
Edited by Linda Garren
2 people like this

An appropriate post, Linda....forgiveness is a tough one for me....I always say I forgive but won't forget....but that is not how it works....as long as I hold ill feeling inside, I cannot become better.

With PD, I have had to learn that I cannot place blame....in any fashion....if I try to explore "why" this happens....I channel energy to the wrong place. Acceptance of certain things is like forgiveness....it allows us to focus on solutions rather than boil in anger, resentment, and blame.

Still workin' on it......:)

1 person likes this

Ok let's see where do I start. I am a 56 y/r old woman who lives in central New York. Two months before my 50th birthday I had to have an unexpected hysterectomy and within 1yr I was diagnosed with pd. I swear that the lack of estrogen put me over the edge.(can't get any doctor to agree)

I grew up in a faith based home. My mom was a lay minister and a great example of how having a faith based life can help manage health problems she sure had her share. I don't ask why to much any more. I pray for strength to carry my cross that will honor God. What I do struggle with is how to honor him or how to be his hands and feet when you have all the limitations of pd.

I will have to retire soon and I struggle with what to do . My husband laughs and says if you retire you have to do something otherwise you will sit in the corner and cry(which I have known to do)that's the beginning of my journey with pd.

An appropriate post, Linda....forgiveness is a tough one for me....I always say I forgive but won't forget....but that is not how it works....as long as I hold ill feeling inside, I cannot become better.

With PD, I have had to learn that I cannot place blame....in any fashion....if I try to explore "why" this happens....I channel energy to the wrong place. Acceptance of certain things is like forgiveness....it allows us to focus on solutions rather than boil in anger, resentment, and blame.

Still workin' on it...... :)

Good thoughts and goals, NN.  Something else that helps is to be sure to let the person you want to forgive know how it made you feel when they did whatever it was they did.  It helps them be informed of how their actions could make others feel--as well as why what they did hurt you.  Your being able to express to them that what they did hurt you helps a lot towards  the anger dissipating.  I've found that even if the issue itself isn't resolved, the mere fact of having discussed it helps somehow.   Funny, though, how sometimes in the heat of the moment, theory can fly out the window as emotions take over.  :-)   Even then though, we can ask the Lord for forgiveness and ask Him to help us try again.

I really like your statement about how acceptance and/or forgiveness both help us toward taking the step of resolving an issue rather than stewing over it, stewing doing neither party any good whatsoever.  Staying angry can also make us sicker physically, mentally and emotionally.  It's no fun to live that way.   I've found it has taken years of hard work to deal with anger and feelings of injustice.  It's only from having taken a firm commitment of asking God for help to do as He would want me to do, and then doing it for Him, that I've been able to deal with things so much better.  And I find praying for the other person helps tremendously, as well, because it often leads to our thinking of what may have caused someone to act a certain way.  And praying for them seems to bring about a feeling of compassion for them.  My dad always said that if we knew what some people have gone through, we would most likely cry for them rather than get angry at them.

Another thing is that time helps a lot as to difficult situations, don't you think?  With time, the situation is usually seen/understood for what it is/was--more objectively.  And...if we look for what benefit we gain from learning something that only going through a situation can teach us, we might (might) actually be appreciative for the learning experience.  :-)   I've sometimes thought of difficult situations as classes in life and as practice at being better at living life and as being beneficial in gaining more resolve.

NN, you have and are handling a tremendous amount at this time with your health, your DH's health, your daughter's health and distance, and the painful things that have happened in your past with your father and son, and look how well you are handling yourself.  You're facing it all, and doing all you can, and still remaining faithful to the Lord, even when you struggle to understand it all.  And as we all know and appreciate, your humor is such strong medicine--such strong medicine.  A good sense of humor is such a gift to have that helps relieve the stress not only for yourself, but for those around you who are also affected.

So, hang in there.  Everything for you as one of the Lord's precious followers is a part of The Plan, so to speak--both His plan for you and for your part in His overall plan.  :-)

Love you, sister.

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren
1 person likes this

r

Ok let's see where do I start. I am a 56 y/r old woman who lives in central New York. Two months before my 50th birthday I had to have an unexpected hysterectomy and within 1yr I was diagnosed with pd. I swear that the lack of estrogen put me over the edge.(can't get any doctor to agree)

I grew up in a faith based home. My mom was a lay minister and a great example of how having a faith based life can help manage health problems she sure had her share. I don't ask why to much any more. I pray for strength to carry my cross that will honor God. What I do struggle with is how to honor him or how to be his hands and feet when you have all the limitations of pd.

I will have to retire soon and I struggle with what to do . My husband laughs and says if you retire you have to do something otherwise you will sit in the corner and cry(which I have known to do)that's the beginning of my journey with pd.

Hi Noah,

Strangely , my Pd symptoms arose after several surgeries including a hysterectomy. I have wondered, also, if frequent surgeries requiring anesthesia could contribute to the brain going "haywire." We had several discussions on different threads because several PWP found they had had previous surgeries as well. I think many concluded that PD is so bizarre that it is difficult to develop documented evidence of any precursor...but we all still wonder.."what about...?"

Since this thread is designated for discussions relative to faith, let me comment on your statement that you struggle with how you can fulfill your mission here when you are limited by PD symptoms. In my personal opinion, The Lord understands your limitations and asks only that you try to be the best you can be......if your day is such that the only energy you have left is to smile at a stranger...and you make that effort, then you are fulfilling the role...the expectation you have come to believe....

There are days that I pray I have the strength to be nice...simple...that is all I want...just the strength to be kind to others, to seek a way to serve another, to remember to be grateful for my DH, and to make a conscious effort to do one thing for him that he did not expect... a pan of brownies....a note of thanks under his pillow....a foot rub..... This may sound silly....and I may be missing your point, Noah...but I believe if I can just do at least one thing nice for someone else everyday, than I know my Father is pleased. If I can do more , then He is more pleased. If I can do nothing, He understands.

So to end the discussion, I think if we earnestly pray for opportunities to serve others, then we will find the way and the energy to do it. And that pays honor to everyone...including God.

I agree with roadrunner, that your mission may be to highlight PD and do it with the innate gentle spirit you possess....

Only you can find the answer...and that is why we are here at this time...to learn our capabilities and to use our talents for others.

Good luck to you.

1 person likes this

Noah!  You're a she--not a he!  LOL!!  You fooled us!!  :-)  It's so nice to hear back from you and hear a little about you.  Thanks for writing.

Can you share (if you feel comfortable to) how PD has affected you?  It seems it's a little different for most of us, and so usually we end up sharing our symptoms and challenges with each other..

What kind of work have you been doing?  I know how the unknown as to what will come in retirement can be a little disconcerting.  I retired a little early--3 years ago.  Just couldn't go on, and really had a hard time for about my last five years at work.  I think you may find retirement will be different than you envision, as have I.  For instance, there is no stop to all the paperwork, doctors' appointments, prescribed exercises, etc, with PD  Things that you do on a normal basis will take so much longer that you'll wonder why you ever worried that you wouldn't have anything to do, I bet.  :-)  On the other hand, depending where you are in your journey with PD and in what ways it limits you, you may also be able to balance those things with some things you've always wanted to do, like maybe volunteering at your local animal shelter, if that's an interest.  If you are like me and many of the other Parkies, though, you may find it an absolute blessing to actually be able to lie down and rest or sleep when you need to (which can be a lot!), and you'll have a chance to read, chat with us on line, catch up with friends, do things with your hubby that you and he may have in common or find something new in common to do together....  There is so much outside of work to discover.  For some, it can be an adjustment, but it sort of sounds to me like you are going through that adjustment ahead of time, so you'll maybe be all ready when the time comes.  :-)

And as to how you could help honor the Lord with your limitations, I think you will definitely find ways, maybe different things than you've done in the past.  Visiting communities where there are other Parkies who may need company--just to sit with and compare symptoms--can be so helpful for them, as well as for you.  There are so many PD organizations and activities in which you could have a chance to perhaps participate--which may help you emotionally and physically and connect you with others.  Honestly, as to PD activities, exercise programs, symposiums, on-line reading, chat forums.....you'll probably not have enough time to do much else, along with having to rest and take care of yourself.  And you'll find, I'm sure, that the Lord will work through you as you meet others, in whatever capacity that may be.  Small encounters with people you don't know can impact their lives by your manner, your faith, and things you may share with them.

So do write and let us know where you are as to your PD progression so others can also chime in and give you some support and suggestions, and also let us know a little about what kinds of things you've always enjoyed doing. 

Take care.  Put your hand in God's hand, put your chin up, and go forward into this new era of your life with all its possibilities and new things to discover, even with PD.  We'll be here for you, as will the Lord direct you to what He may have for you next.  I'm sure you're praying about that, and we'll be here to assist in any way we can.

In His love (and Parkie love),

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren

Good evening,

I have hesitated posting here. My belief in the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth is unshakable. Everything that comes from my mouth and every action I take comes from asking myself first if what I'm about to say or do comes from the Love that Jesus taught is in all of us. If it is from fear, control, judgement or the ego (Edging God Out), I do my best not to say it or act on the impulses I feel.

For two days, this has been on my mind. Now I am ready to say that the Light that shines from me is because I became willing to allow the Holy Spirit, the Voice for God in this worldly experience, to guide me away from countless distractions directly to Jesus, my brother and teacher, and allow myself to be infused with the Light of our Creator that I hid from for so long.

I do not believe that anyone will be left outside of Heaven. We are all walking each other Home. There is no right or wrong where being willing to look for the Holiness of God in everyone I meet is concerned.  The only real hell there is is when I try to live my life thinking I have been separated from my Source, or that I am different from my Source, or that any creature is separate from the Source, or separate of different from me. We are all cells in the Body of the Christ. We are One. God cannot be incomplete.

Forgiveness is the path I have taken to get to this place in my journey home. There is nothing this world has to offer that could make me happier than returning to God.

Namaste.

1 person likes this

r

Hi Noah,

Strangely , my Pd symptoms arose after several surgeries including a hysterectomy. I have wondered, also, if frequent surgeries requiring anesthesia could contribute to the brain going "haywire." We had several discussions on different threads because several PWP found they had had previous surgeries as well. I think many concluded that PD is so bizarre that it is difficult to develop documented evidence of any precursor...but we all still wonder.."what about...?"

Since this thread is designated for discussions relative to faith, let me comment on your statement that you struggle with how you can fulfill your mission here when you are limited by PD symptoms. In my personal opinion, The Lord understands your limitations and asks only that you try to be the best you can be......if your day is such that the only energy you have left is to smile at a stranger...and you make that effort, then you are fulfilling the role...the expectation you have come to believe....

There are days that I pray I have the strength to be nice...simple...that is all I want...just the strength to be kind to others, to seek a way to serve another, to remember to be grateful for my DH, and to make a conscious effort to do one thing for him that he did not expect... a pan of brownies....a note of thanks under his pillow....a foot rub..... This may sound silly....and I may be missing your point, Noah...but I believe if I can just do at least one thing nice for someone else everyday, than I know my Father is pleased. If I can do more , then He is more pleased. If I can do nothing, He understands.

So to end the discussion, I think if we earnestly pray for opportunities to serve others, then we will find the way and the energy to do it. And that pays honor to everyone...including God.

I agree with roadrunner, that your mission may be to highlight PD and do it with the innate gentle spirit you possess....

Only you can find the answer...and that is why we are here at this time...to learn our capabilities and to use our talents for others.

Good luck to you.

Wonderfully said, NN.

Good evening,

I have hesitated posting here. My belief in the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth is unshakable. Everything that comes from my mouth and every action I take comes from asking myself first if what I'm about to say or do comes from the Love that Jesus taught is in all of us. If it is from fear, control, judgement or the ego (Edging God Out), I do my best not to say it or act on the impulses I feel.

For two days, this has been on my mind. Now I am ready to say that the Light that shines from me is because I became willing to allow the Holy Spirit, the Voice for God in this worldly experience, to guide me away from countless distractions directly to Jesus, my brother and teacher, and allow myself to be infused with the Light of our Creator that I hid from for so long.

I do not believe that anyone will be left outside of Heaven. We are all walking each other Home. There is no right or wrong where being willing to look for the Holiness of God in everyone I meet is concerned.  The only real hell there is is when I try to live my life thinking I have been separated from my Source, or that I am different from my Source, or that any creature is separate from the Source, or separate of different from me. We are all cells in the Body of the Christ. We are One. God cannot be incomplete.

Forgiveness is the path I have taken to get to this place in my journey home. There is nothing this world has to offer that could make me happier than returning to God.

Namaste.

Dianne, thank  you so much for gaining the courage to post your thoughts and beliefs on our site.  There  is no doubt you live what you believe and that it's helped you tremendously.  We can all see that by the things you've shared about your life that are more than many are having to handle.  You don't look for pity.  We didn't even know a lot of what you were going through until more recently, and I'm so glad you shared it with us so we can be with you as you go through all that you are.  I'm especially touched by your statement that forgiveness is the path you have taken to get to this place in your journey home, and that there is nothing this world has to offer that could make you happier than returning to God.

If you would feel comfortable to do so, would you let us know what teachings you follow?  And in a regular e-mail, would you mind sharing your address, as I would love to send you a little booklet that I happened upon yesterday as I was straightening up my  pile of books that have  taken over my coffee table?  It's something I had Printing Services at work  make several copies of a number of years ago, as I found it was out of print.  I would love to send you a copy.I

My sense is that you hesitated to post since your beliefs are a little different than traditional Christianity.  I'm so glad you gathered your strength and resolve together to write a very honest posting.  And I'm so glad you joined us here.  We all love you so much.

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren
1 person likes this

(Though today's reading focuses in on one particular temptation, the writing applies to anything that would tempt us to do something apart from what the Lord has taught us and that would be apart from honoring Him.)

From Turning Point, by David Jeremiah

Friday, November 14

NO Power

My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent.
Proverbs 1:10

Recommended Reading
Matthew 26:36-41 Temptation has been around since the days of Adam and Eve, but it's never been as virulent as today. Sexual temptation, especially, has been intensified by technology, and it tends to reach people earlier in life. Still, we read in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that no temptation has overtaken us except what is common to humanity; and God is faithful to provide pathways of escape. He did this for Joseph in Genesis 39. When tempted by Potiphar's wife, Joseph was able to say "No" because he had established his convictions before the crisis. His moral principles were set in advance, so Joseph instinctively resisted the lure of lust.

Temptation has many guises, but God gives power over temptation. Our greatest weapons are:

(1) a preset determination to obey God;

(2) memorized Scripture on needed topics;
(3) prayer. Jesus told us to watch and pray so we don't fall into temptation (Matthew 26:41).

Don't wait until the moment of crisis. Plan ahead, hide God's Word in your heart, and pray in advance for victory, holiness, and a life pleasing to God.

Edited by Linda Garren

Roadrunner, I miss seeing the very insightful post you had written to noah.  You said it well, and I do hope you'll repost?  You stated in a very precise way what others of us took several paragraphs to write.  It was of great value, and I do hope you'll feel free to come back in and allow us to hear more from you.

Linda

noah, I just had this come to my e-mail in-box today and thought it might be helpful to you.

How to serve God through any limitation
November 14, 2014           
“But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.”
1 Samuel 12:24
An elderly widow was eager to serve Christ, but was severely limited in her activities. So she talked to her pastor who told her, “Find what you love to do and do it for Jesus.” The woman loved to play piano, and it didn’t require her to even leave the house.
So she came up with a plan. The next day, she took an ad out in the local newspaper that said, “Pianist will play hymns by phone daily for those who are sick and despondent – the service is free.” Then, she included her number below.
When people called, she would ask them, “What hymn would you like to hear?” Within a few months, her playing brought cheer to several hundred people. Many of them poured out their hearts to her, and she was able to help and encourage them.
God calls you to serve Him where your passions and abilities meet. Over time, those passions and abilities may change. But you can be sure God will always supply you with the abilities and Spirit-empowered drive to accomplish His will for you.
Don’t let your limits keep you from honoring God. Find the place where your gifts and passions meet and start serving the Lord!
2 people like this

November 14th, 2014
This week on 'The Hal Lindsey Report'

"I have a birthday coming soon and I've been thinking about my life and the times in which I've lived

I was born just days after Black Tuesday, the day of the most devastating stock market crash in U.S. history. I grew up during the Depression and the lean years that followed. In fact, it was not until my 25th birthday that the stock market again reached its peak level from 1929.
I remember the Dust Bowl and what life here was like during World War Two, the biggest, deadliest conflict in human history.
I remember the start of the Cold War. I served in the Coast Guard during the Korean conflict.
I lived through the Cuban missile crisis, the Kennedy assassination, the Viet Nam war, and the counter-culture rebellion of the 60s and 70s. I worked on American college campuses during some of those tumultuous years.
I remember the Arab oil embargo, Watergate, the Nixon resignation, the malaise of Jimmy Carter, and the terror of 9/11. But through all of that, the American people seemed never to lose their sense of optimism. That is, until now.
In a recent Fox News Poll, a staggering 58% of Americans polled thought that "the way things are going" could best be described by the phrase: "Things are going to hell in a handbasket."
Americans today share a sense of doom that they just can't seem to shake. So what makes our time different?
Is it the Ebola outbreak? So far, only one person has died in the U.S. and only two people have contracted it here. On the other hand, 1,500 Americas die each day from cancer.
Is it ISIS? The small terrorist army is unsettling, and even though they've vowed to fly their flag over the White House, they're a long way from being able to carry out that threat.
Is it Vladimir Putin? He's been doing a lot of saber-rattling lately. His bombers are probing ours and NATO's defenses. He's engaged in a slow-motion takeover of chunks of Eastern Europe. He's irritated because Western sanctions are beginning to bite and he's started making veiled threats about nuking those who oppose Russia.
When an insulated sociopath who controls 10,000 nuclear weapons publicly insinuates that he might use them, it's worth taking notice.
But I don't think Americans really believe him. So I don't think that's why they seem to be feeling this sense of doom. I think that, deep down, most Americans know that our nation's true strength is her morality and they sense that America's moral base is crumbling.
A few weeks ago, I discussed Psalm 127:1 and how it applies to the United States today:  Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.
That's what America 2014 feels like. It feels like there's a hole in our boat. We bail and bail, but the water in the boat only gets deeper. Things don't work like they used to work. Everything seems upside down.
Why? I think it's because we're trying to succeed without God.
As individuals and as a nation, we have the ability to reject the presence and fellowship of the Lord, but we do not have the ability to achieve real and lasting success without Him.
Until we patch that hole in our boat, we're bailing desperately, but in vain."

Edited by Linda Garren

Diane....

I really liked your post...and agree with all that you say.

Before I believed there was a Supreme Being, I was a very good person. I felt that I did not need any structured religion to inform me of what is right and wrong...and that I had an innate sense of tolerance of others ...and have always wanted to serve others. I felt that religion was a contrived reward system...that people did good deed so they cd gain favor from "something" and advance further in the "heavenly spheres." The whole concept seemed hypocritical to me.....I wanted to be kind to others because I wanted to....not because of fear or condemnation.......or because I would get more golden stars on my spiritual report card than my neighbor.

After acknowledging the existence of a Creator ...and the existence of a Savior....I realized that the guidance I receive through gospel study and associating with like minded people potentiates that same sense of kindness...but with deeper meaning...only that I can feel for myself.....I can't explain it to others......nor do I try to convince others of my belief system.....I rather selfishly just enjoy the many assets I receive by following the philosophy of Jesus Christ.

That is not to say that the great philosopher and religious leader Buddha does not have profound messages to study...I have read some and tried to integrate them into my life. There are other spiritual leaders who have contributed immensely to the emergence of Chritianity....for myself, I know without a doubt that Jesus Christ served as a Savior for us...I believe the historical writings of the men who spoke of their travel with Him which now constitutes the bible...I believe in the miracles they have recorded.....for those who do not believe, I drink at the same table as they...break the same bread...and laugh with them.....they are not my enemies and I find no reason to try to convince them to change their beliefs....

As people of this forum...and my other close friends know.....I have absolutely NO tolerance for intolerant people who try to stifle another's belief or who bully people into hesitation to speak. I have too much gratitude for the millions who have died defending our right to free speech to witness that without taking issue. I find it offensive for people to interrupt a like minded conversation with abrasive language...much like I would be offended at a party if someone came and rudely took over a conversation..I don't intend to keep that person from speaking his belief....I only expect a certain social etiquette in allowing the discussion to continue uninterrupted....nor do I feel an obligation to defend my belief system...there is no right or wrong...because when one has a testimony they will not be swayed...and if one does not have a willingness to receive a testimony, he will never listen.

For me, it has been an absolute transformation to accept the concept of a Creator.....I have a spirit with me that can not be described to anyone who has not felt it...and for that I am most grateful.

I am a student of A Course in Miracles. I began the healing part of my journey in Al-Anon Family Groups 31 years ago. Working the 12 Steps allowed me to release the debris of my past, change my core belief system that I was a doormat who deserved abuse, and brought about a spiritual awakening. I have learned that there is a difference between humility and humiliation. I've let go of shame.

I did not totally let go of my control issues until PD showed me that control and perfection are illusions and unattainable at this level of existence. I've learned that non-resistance to life as it happens causes less pain than demanding that other people change in order to make me happy.

I do my best to focus only on the moment I'm in. Thoughts of the past are almost always about anger, and thoughts of the future are about fear. Only in this Holy Instant can healing take place.

Dianne

As I mentioned I have been dx for about 5 yrs and am still working. My pd has affected my posture so I slump over like a 90yr old. My biggest problem and I know this is wrong but I don't want to be the topic of conversation at the lunch table at work. I don't like people looking at me differently. I am a private person and pd us such a visible condition. It does my heart good to hear from others who share the faith. I will ask for your prayers for tomorrow...I have to give a lecture and it has become harder than it used to be.

Bless you all

Noah(that's my dogs name)

"I did not totally let go of my control issues until PD showed me that control and perfection are illusions and unattainable at this level of existence. I've learned that non-resistance to life as it happens causes less pain than demanding that other people change in order to make me happy."

Diane,

I have often wondered if that is the lesson I am to learn from PD....to be non resistant is not to be weak....acceptance is not submission....to forfeit control is not defeat........I am working on it....it is hard to change old habits....but that is where faith comes in...to associate with others who understand such concepts helps me....I am a big believer that The Lord uses people to convey His messages .....so I try to listen carefully for that which I need to hear. And I always include in my prayers that I may be receptive to the spirit and recognize that which is my message...

Thanks for your post.

1 person likes this