helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

A thread for anyone interested in topics of Christian faith--all invited.

Linda Garren    735

As I mentioned I have been dx for about 5 yrs and am still working. My pd has affected my posture so I slump over like a 90yr old. My biggest problem and I know this is wrong but I don't want to be the topic of conversation at the lunch table at work. I don't like people looking at me differently. I am a private person and pd us such a visible condition. It does my heart good to hear from others who share the faith. I will ask for your prayers for tomorrow...I have to give a lecture and it has become harder than it used to be.

Bless you all

Noah(that's my dogs name)

I'll pray for you right now, Noah.  Would love to hear how the lecture goes and where and on what topic you are lecturing (if you care to share)!  :-)

LewisMaxie    63

It's good to know there is a sight like this on here, Where people of faith can share there thoughts with each other, I gave my heart to Christ in October 1972 and have never regretted that  decision. Pray that I will find the faith to see me through trying times with Parkinson's as He has other things I will pray for you! Thanks for starting this site.

Linda Garren    735

Hi, Lewis.  I am so happy you have joined and to know that you are also a Christian.  Welcome!

Please feel free to bring up topics for the group to discuss, as well as post articles, or let us know how we can pray for you or support you in any way while going through this journey of ours with Parkinson's.  Will be praying for you and everyone on the this forum as well as our buddies in the NPF Forum in general.  The NPF is a wonderful group of diverse and very interesting and caring people.  It surely has been a privilege to come in and get to know them (and laugh with so many of them).

What part of Virginia are you from?  It's one of my favorite states--especially the mountains.  I had close relatives who lived in Roanoke, and visiting Mill Mountain was something we always thought was special.  :-)

Edited by Linda Garren

noah    66

I am a diabetes educator and had to give a lecture on how to take care of children with diabetes. My biggest concern is that it is hard to stand for very long but with Gods help I didand it was ok.

Thanks for the prayers!

Linda Garren    735

I am a diabetes educator and had to give a lecture on how to take care of children with diabetes. My biggest concern is that it is hard to stand for very long but with Gods help I didand it was ok.

Thanks for the prayers!

Way to go, noah!!!!!!!   I'm so happy it went well.  :-)

New normal    1,274

I believe in prayer. I have had prayers answered. I also have had that experience when you know you are sustained by the prayers of others. It is hard to explain...it is just a feeling...and distinct from receiving guidance and protection from personal prayers.

Currently I feel I am on that tide of others prayers.

Monday we have follow up with eye surgeon for my husband in Phoenix. The course of rx for three weeks did nothing...he continues to bleed from his eye socket.

My PD has shrunk in importance....I think more about him than all the chaotic bizarre symptoms of PD. So, I ask you....is not tribulation necessary in order to fully realize our potential? I once could never understand why a loving God could allow bad things to happen to good people. While I don't have the energy to explain it to someone who does not believe in a divine power...those of you who do will understand .

The trials given me and my family have purpose....and it will be revealed to me one day....that knowledge alone sees me through the next few days.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate this thread. Thanks, Linda. There is a reason you found the NPF site !

• Like 1

New normal    1,274

You bet...lurkers? If u have read this far you pry feel comfortable in this environment...and see??? No one has beat us up...we seem to be doing ok so far....so join in so Linda will see how many people do like to discuss things within this format. I think we all can comfort each other ...especially with PD issues...I hope the care givers feel they can join in as well, for after all, they epitomize the word of The Lord in all they do.

noah    66

I know I sure do appreciate the fact that Linda started this thread. As NN said we are here to support each other. When one is down we can lift them up. Praise God!

Linda Garren    735

Thank you, NN and noah.  I was telling a friend that I had no idea if one, maybe two people might show up.  Just no way to have been able to tell. :-)  Thank you both for being here.

Dancing Bear    78

Hello All,

I have been lurking/reading on the NPR forums for months and have asked Dr. Okun questions and certainly learned much about PD from folks who have alot worse cases than me.  The fact that many have participated has been of great benefit to those who don’t.  So occasionally I will now contribute on the open forums and hope to be of some help to others.   Thanks to Linda for taking a chance in starting this thread.  I know with some certainty that there is a wide variety of views under the large umbrella called Christendom and  some discussions will be educational and perhaps even life changing for some  in this marketplace of ideas.  I found the thread some weeks ago about “why me” to be a great discussion-- atheists, agnostics, and folks of faith alike.

I am an early symptom PD case with few limitations and continue to  enjoy my  professional career for some time to come  yet know that challenges lay ahead for myself and my wife.   There is  some history of AZ on my mother’s side of the family and am thankful not to have been touched by this disease but am the family leader on PD.  As a Christian I have no fear of my physical maladies large and small and am thankful for the blessings  that I have enjoyed in my long life.   The Lord Jesus Christ endured much for us; we can endure for him.  He was the perfect example in every aspect of his life.

I grew up in a denominational system but about 8 years ago I studied the Bible and through the earnest humble evangelism of others I was baptized a New Testament Christian.  For now I will draw this to a close but have several recommendations for your reading:

1)  Christiancourier.com  is a great source of scholarly Biblically sound articles on a variety of topics. It is a non-denominational website.  There is a topical search window in the upper right corner of the home page.  If you type in “suffering” in that search window you will find a great article entitled “The Value of Human Suffering” that I suggest you might find it and it’s sublinks to accompanying parallel articles of great benefit in your personal walk in this life.  

2) There is a book entitled  “The Case For Faith” by Lee Strobel that I highly recommend.  This journalist and author ( who was a skeptic but now a Christian)  tackles the toughest objections to faith that are stumbling blocks for many.  It is available even on Kindle through Amazon.  Chapter 1 is of particular interest for anyone who suffers in this world  (and that is everyone in some form or fashion).   This chapter is entitled “Objection #1: Since Evil and Suffering Exist, A Loving God Cannot”.   I believe many will find this chapter reassuring and indeed the entire book edifying.

For now take care all!

• Like 2

Linda Garren    735

Hello, Dancing Bear!

I am so happy you stepped into our group here and know you will have a lot to offer, as you already have in this thread.  You are so right about there being a wide variety of views under the large umbrella called Christendom and that some discussions will be educational and perhaps even life changing for some.   Thank you for sharing a little of your journey with your faith and your experience with Parkinson's.

I LOVE the verse you shared which is one I think of often:

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weaknessMost gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then I am strong.”     (NKJV)  II Corinthians 12: 9-10\

It is very difficult as a Christian to be met with skepticism and criticism, but I know that it is to be expected and have realized that it is also so minor compared to what Christ suffered for us.  So in that sense, it's a privilege to be persecuted for His sake .  I look beyond how it makes me feel and am able, by God's grace, to be more focused and concerned about the person.  I'm so thankful that His strength is made perfect in weakness.  I feel so inadequate in helping others know Him, and it encourages me that He has often used the weak in His work as well as the strong.  I've learned that if anyone can be helped by anything I could possibly do or say, I know Who is really doing and saying it.  :-)

Am also so very, very grateful for the information on Christiancourier.com and Lee Stroebel's book..  A friend of mine had just recommended that same book to me, so it is interesting that you have also mentioned it.  Maybe I'd better read it.  :-)

I can see that you will be a tremendous asset to our efforts on this site.  I can't thank you enough for stepping in and being a part of it.

Blessings, and welcome.

Linda
Edited by Linda Garren

LewisMaxie    63

Linda; I was born and raised in Roanoke and since 1977 my family and I have called Lynchburg home,  My father in  law had to go the hospital since I wrote the last post. pray for him he has a problem with his heart. He is 91 years old.

Annemarcel    6

I really appreciate this topic too.  I've been chastised online before for commenting on my beliefs and faith in God.  So you learn to keep certain things to yourself when actually they should be spoken from the rooftop.  Let your light so shine.....

My faith in God and our Savior isn't just something I do, its part of me and how I choose to live.  We are God's hands on earth and you just don't know how your actions will affect someone.  I would rather be a source of comfort and peace than to be a source of contention.  It took me a bit of hard knocks to learn to control my temper when I was young, but its amazing how the gospel can change your heart.  

• Like 1

TexasTom    706

Some of us are just quieter than others.

“The work of justice shall be peace, and the service of justice quietness, and security forever.” (Is. 32:17)

• Like 1

Linda Garren    735

Linda; I was born and raised in Roanoke and since 1977 my family and I have called Lynchburg home,  My father in  law had to go the hospital since I wrote the last post. pray for him he has a problem with his heart. He is 91 years old.

Lewis, I surely will pray for your father in law right now, as I'm sure others will do when they read your post. Please keep us up to date on his condition.  I know it must be a huge concern for you and your family.*

Well, my uncle's wife and her family (whom we used to visit in Roanoke) were from Lynchburg originally.  Did you know Mel, Jim, or Rucker Stevens by any chance?  Probably small chance, but sometimes the world is small.  :-)

When my family used to visit my aunt and uncle and cousins in Roanoke, it seemed magical.  Driving from a home near the city through rural Virginia with its rolling fields and then mountains, and getting there and being welcomed into their warm home with Southern hospitality was like heaven on earth.  I always wanted to go live with them!  :-)  There was so much love and laughter and enjoyment of each other.  Never wanted the visits to end.  :-)

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us."   (I John 5:14 ESV)

Edited by Linda Garren

Linda Garren    735

“The work of justice shall be peace, and the service of justice quietness, and security forever.” (Is. 32:17)

Tom, I was not familiar with this verse and thank you for posting it.

Edited by Linda Garren

New normal    1,274

Quiet is good.....I am not a quiet person, obviously, but I am reserved about my faith as I hold it in reverence.....it took too much for too long to gain my testimony for me to put it out there to be assaulted. I recognize many denominations emphasize missionary work...and I do not want to get into that discussion...admittedly, I do not do my diligence in that field.......I tend to use all my energy just to be like my husband....who has a firm testimony of the Christ and His Father.

My husband has a remarkable strength .......he is a big man...and has had his share of bar room fights in his youth...but he is quiet....and emotes character. As a young man, after working as a logger, millworker, welder, a welder/ship fitter, and serving in the Navy, he became a paramedic/firefighter for a large city...2400 runs a year....while they all wear the same uniform, people at a scene wd gravitate to my husband for comfort......after we were married and he had to retire on disability, he became a doctor of chiropractic .....and patients confided in him.....it seems everyone feels he can be trusted....he is always a man of his word.

Ironically, I came from a family of hellions ...four brothers.....and religion was viewed as a weakness....only wimps who believe in fairy tales believe in a divine power....a "crutch" was the word they used for religion....and they certainly were not quiet about it...mocking, insulting, ridiculing anything that referenced a faith. They were womanizers.....and felt a "sucker punch" was justified in order to prove their point...strength was dependent on size.....arguments were won by volume and intimidation.

My husband and I were baptized together two years after we married...before that, we did not practice any formal religion so I cannot credit him for my conversion other than I believe it was divine intervention that we met. Our faith has sustained us through nearly 45 years of marriage...through tribulation and challenges.....

So, TT, quiet is good....the saying..... "your words ring so loudly in my ears, ....I can barely hear what you say" .....applies to your posts, TT.....regardless of the topic, it is clear you are a man of strength, empathy, intelligence, and morals.....yep, you quiet ones who live your belief system ...truly LIVE it....are the loudest spokesmen of all.

Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

New normal    1,274

I really appreciate this thread because we do not have to disclose or label our belief system...I think it is great people who are like minded can speak of similar beliefs without identifying the denomination or sect....it makes me feel safe from criticism or there will be an attempt to alter my beliefs.

I hope this thread is one of harmonious conversation/discussion and not one of debate.

Linda Garren    735

Quiet is good.....I am not a quiet person, obviously, but I am reserved about my faith as I hold it in reverence.....it took too much for too long to gain my testimony for me to put it out there to be assaulted. I recognize many denominations emphasize missionary work...and I do not want to get into that discussion...admittedly, I do not do my diligence in that field.......I tend to use all my energy just to be like my husband....who has a firm testimony of the Christ and His Father.

My husband has a remarkable strength .......he is a big man...and has had his share of bar room fights in his youth...but he is quiet....and emotes character. As a young man, after working as a logger, millworker, welder, a welder/ship fitter, and serving in the Navy, he became a paramedic/firefighter for a large city...2400 runs a year....while they all wear the same uniform, people at a scene wd gravitate to my husband for comfort......after we were married and he had to retire on disability, he became a doctor of chiropractic .....and patients confided in him.....it seems everyone feels he can be trusted....he is always a man of his word.

Ironically, I came from a family of hellions ...four brothers.....and religion was viewed as a weakness....only wimps who believe in fairy tales believe in a divine power....a "crutch" was the word they used for religion....and they certainly were not quiet about it...mocking, insulting, ridiculing anything that referenced a faith. They were womanizers.....and felt a "sucker punch" was justified in order to prove their point...strength was dependent on size.....arguments were won by volume and intimidation.

My husband and I were baptized together two years after we married...before that, we did not practice any formal religion so I cannot credit him for my conversion other than I believe it was divine intervention that we met. Our faith has sustained us through nearly 45 years of marriage...through tribulation and challenges.....

So, TT, quiet is good....the saying..... "your words ring so loudly in my ears, ....I can barely hear what you say" .....applies to your posts, TT.....regardless of the topic, it is clear you are a man of strength, empathy, intelligence, and morals.....yep, you quiet ones who live your belief system ...truly LIVE it....are the loudest spokesmen of all.

Thank you for posting.

Beautiful, beautiful story, NN.

Linda Garren    735

I really appreciate this thread because we do not have to disclose or label our belief system...I think it is great people who are like minded can speak of similar beliefs without identifying the denomination or sect....it makes me feel safe from criticism or there will be an attempt to alter my beliefs.

I hope this thread is one of harmonious conversation/discussion and not one of debate.

I surely hope that, too, NN.  Unfortunately, there may sometimes be some friction that will happen, inevitably.  I pray that something I would like to post is taken for its purpose--to clearly define what Christianity is--as otherwise the purpose of this thread will be undermined and become a mish-mash of things, and the purpose of it will be taken away.  Having said that, I do want to make it clear that anyone is welcome in.  The point of the thread will always, however, be centered on Christianity, and misconceptions or misunderstandings will be attempted to be clarified to keep us on track.  It was not intended to be a free for all.  For that, someone might want to start another thread.

Linda Garren    735

I really appreciate this topic too.  I've been chastised online before for commenting on my beliefs and faith in God.  So you learn to keep certain things to yourself when actually they should be spoken from the rooftop.  Let your light so shine.....

My faith in God and our Savior isn't just something I do, its part of me and how I choose to live.  We are God's hands on earth and you just don't know how your actions will affect someone.  I would rather be a source of comfort and peace than to be a source of contention.  It took me a bit of hard knocks to learn to control my temper when I was young, but its amazing how the gospel can change your heart.  

I greatly appreciate your post.  It's a balancing act, isn't it pppiglet, to be the Lord's representative.  We know without a doubt we'll be challenged.  I look at that two ways:  (1) I'm extremely glad when people are open and say what they think, even if it hurts, and (2) our main responsibility as Christians is to speak out of love the truth of our faith and let the Lord handle the results.

Beau's Mom    1,053

Happy Sunday everyone!

Thought for November 16th from Each Day a New Beginning:

[This book has nothing to do with PD and is not referring to the rigidity of the body, but of the mind, yet is amazingly fitting.]

"Rigidity is prevented most of the time as love and compassion mesh us into tolerant human being." - Kaethe S. Crawford

Looking outward with love, offering it freely to our friends and family, makes fluid, flowing and fertile our existence. Each expression of love engenders more love, keeping tender our ties to one another, encouraging more ties.

The more flexible our lives, the more easily we'll be attracted to an unexpected opportunity. And flexibility is fostered by a loving posture. As we approach the world, so it greets us. We are not mere recipients of life's trials and tribulations. We find what our eyes are wanting to see. When our focus is rigid and narrow, so are our opportunities.

The Steps are leading us to be freer with our love, more tolerant in our expectations. The level of our compassion, fully felt and fully expressed, is the measure of our emotional health.  Rigid attitudes, rigid behavior, rigid expectations of [ourselves and] others recede as the level of our emotional health rises. Our approach to life changes and so do the results we meet.

I will love others. It's my only assignment in life, and it guarantees the security I crave.

[This book was published in 1982 and was purchased by me in probably 1986 or 1987. The colored words indicate phrases I highlighted at some point in my many years as a recovering codependent. With my YOPD, I have discovered that the more I fight, resist or am intolerant of my symptoms or other's attitudes or treatment of me, the more physical symptoms of PD I experience. I have learned relaxation and meditation techniques that take my focus away from the physical and from fear to my experience of God and Love.]

A Course in Miracles is an extension and deepening of the spiritual awakening that is the natural result of applying the 12 Steps to my life. Lesson 34 in ACIM says, "I could see peace instead of this...I can replace my feelings of depression, anxiety or worry about this situation, personality or event with peace."

In closing, a blessing I heard every Sunday growing up as our church service was ending: "May the Peace of God, which passeth all understanding, be amongst you and remain with you always."

Dianne

• Like 1

New normal    1,274

Hi Linda..

" The point of the thread will always, however, be centered on Christianity, and misconceptions or misunderstandings will be attempted to be clarified to keep us on track. It was not intended to be a free for all. For that, someone might want to start another "

I understand what you are saying. I also know there is an extremely wide interpretation of Christianity which has caused many "wars and rumors of wars". I hope everyone feels they can post freely without being challenged. For anyone to presume to be the interpreter of comments is not consistent with Christianity, since we are cautioned, " God is his own interpreter, and He will make it plain."

As long as someone has a belief in the tenets of Christianity they should be welcome to convey their thoughts. If someone is offended by the interpretation a poster has, or has to reference all of their statements, then, I would hope others would refrain from taking exception...otherwise we are in for a constant debate between denominations instead of inspiring stories which build our faith.

I do not want to feel the need to look up scriptural references so I can take sides with one or another....I want to hear how their faith, regardless of their personal interpretation, has helped them......otherwise this will be seen as a moderated thread.

Unless that is your intent...and if that IS your intent I am happy you have been straightforward.