helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

A thread for anyone interested in topics of Christian faith--all invited.

Linda Garren    735

Hi Linda..

" The point of the thread will always, however, be centered on Christianity, and misconceptions or misunderstandings will be attempted to be clarified to keep us on track. It was not intended to be a free for all. For that, someone might want to start another "

I understand what you are saying. I also know there is an extremely wide interpretation of Christianity which has caused many "wars and rumors of wars". I hope everyone feels they can post freely without being challenged. For anyone to presume to be the interpreter of comments is not consistent with Christianity, since we are cautioned, " God is his own interpreter, and He will make it plain."

As long as someone has a belief in the tenets of Christianity they should be welcome to convey their thoughts. If someone is offended by the interpretation a poster has, or has to reference all of their statements, then, I would hope others would refrain from taking exception...otherwise we are in for a constant debate between denominations instead of inspiring stories which build our faith.

I do not want to feel the need to look up scriptural references so I can take sides with one or another....I want to hear how their faith, regardless of their personal interpretation, has helped them......otherwise this will be seen as a moderated thread.

Unless that is your intent...and if that IS your intent I am happy you have been straightforward.

My intent is to keep the topic as was intended, for people to of course feel free to come in and share their thoughts and find compassion and understanding in relation to Christianity.  However, I'm seeing a going away from what the Lord in the Bible has told us very clearly Christianity is. 

I believe there has been a lot to be gained from what everyone has posted.  I  love reading of peoples' experiences and how they came to know Christ or how they have learned to  handle life by other very good techniques..  However, it is indeed a fact that for a person to be a Christian, they (especially in this day and age) are going to be (as has become the sin of all sins in our society, but which is not Biblical) seen as "intolerant."

My intention is not to be intolerant.  My intention in this topic was to keep focused clearly on what Christ himself said, and on which Christianity is based by our most important resource for finding who He is. Jesus said,  "I am the way, the truth, an the life.  No man cometh unto the Father but by me."  NN, that has to be either true--or false.  And unfortunately, it is not taken in by many who claim to be  Christians.  I feel that this has come to the point in our site which I anticipated  might unfortunately happen--that if we stay on point of the topic, people are going to be offended because of differing opinions, and a split may come about.  I truly hope that does not happen, but everyone is certainly free to choose.  It would be a tremendous loss for anyone to choose to go, but I would understand and love you all the same and think no less of you.

I've just scanned something I'd like to post that is one of the most well-written I've seen as to making very clear what a Christian is.  I know ahead of time there will be resistance to it. 

I care about people who do not have an opportunity to read something like this.  I'm providing it for you in the hopes it will help--not hinder--your walk with the Lord.  In good conscience as a Christian, I would be amiss at not helping give clarity as to who Christ Himself said He is.  It would be dishonest and unhelpful not to share it.  And--it's done out of love for you all.

It may take me awhile to post it, as I don't know yet how to attach things.

Love you, NN--truly. 

New normal    1,274

Linda,

I respect your intent.

If I want clarification of the definition of Christianity, I go to Sunday school, learn from spiritual leaders of my church, read scriptures, and pray.

I wish you well. I know you feel you are in the service of your Lord.

Linda Garren    735

NN, I'm truly sorry to see you go.  It's unfortunate that you have not even opened your mind to read what will be posted so that you can see why I posted it.  It was not with the intention to cut peoples' opinions off, but to help them see that Christianity is not a philosophy or various philosophies of life.  It is about a relationship with Christ.  THAT is what I'm concerned people understand.  It's so much more than what most people realize.

I am feeling intolerance.  But I'll gladly accept it and deal with it since Christ said to expect it, and I want to always serve and remain true to Him no matter the result.  My pain is in seeing a good friend misunderstand both me and my intent.

You're a sweetheart--and one strong, strong lady. 

All of this being said is also for our dear Dianne, whose message I've clearly gotten.  And to you, too, Dianne--you know I care for you and that I've seen you pave your way through unbelievably difficult circumstances with what you  have learned in the  program in which you participate.  Those are good things you have found to help you, comfort you, strengthen you, and be so self sacrificial as to reach out totally to people, seldom referencing your own pain and struggles.  I long to see those who have good philosophies realize that there is so much more help to be had in addition to what they live by, by the presence and help and love of the person of Christ who promises to be with them, protect them, guide them, and take them to live with Him one day.

Edited by Linda Garren

New normal    1,274

Linda ..

I have not "left" I simply cannot live on the forum and continue to respond ...I must get on with my day...

I am not offended. I understand your intent. I am not being intolerant. I appreciate your frankness. I hope others continue to post.

I, indeed, wish u well. God bless you.:)

Beau's Mom    1,053

Next time I'll post from my other daily message book, Jesus Calling. Today's message in that book came from Psalm 73:23-24 and 1 Corinthians 13:12. The reading was about always looking to Jesus for answers about what to do next, and not giving in to worry about the future. This thread will grow or not, as God intends. I never know when what I write or say will reach someone who has not been able to hear the voice of God any other way. 

I start every single morning with the following prayer: "God, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy love and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always." 

God speaks to me in many ways and through many people and in many books besides the Bible. I am grateful for that, because when I visited my grandmother in Indiana as a child, she and her husband took us every Sunday to the Baptist church. Every Sunday afternoon, my step-grandfather molested me. I learned from that that Bible readers were scary people. As an adult, I know that not to be true of all of them. Forgiving abusers has been a huge part of my recovery and growth toward the person God has always seen me to be. 

Namaste means "The God in me recognizes the God in you." In my church in Texas, our minister said, "The Light of Christ in me Salutes the Light of Christ in You." Jesus teaches only Love and I do my best to do the same. There were no Christians in Jesus' world, yet he told his disciples when they asked, "When did we deny you food or shelter?", He said, "If you have done it to any, you have done it to me." 

Blessings to all,

Dianne

• Like 1

sarahjo    68

dear readers and posters, i am a baptist by choice, but this does not mean that baptist will or are the only Christians alive, Christian means Christ like, meaning that we are to act or treat others as Christ would treat them.... It helps to have a place to say, hey fellow pwp  i am struggling today and my friends and family members don't understand, can you please pray for me, and so on. we get enough judgemental garbage out in our personal lives. in this place and time we need each other and shoulders we can cry on, or yell because we are frustrated, (about what we are experiencing, etc..) so please ladies and gentlemen don't sweat apple and oranges on here, does it matter who is right or wrong scripturally? the point if i am understanding it right is to uphold each other in prayer and to be able to voice openly our faith without offending others... I am thankful you started this thread and i look forward to reading others post, without arguments, or hurtful statements. i personally get enough of that in the real world, we need encouragement from one another and this disease... 

many of you don't know me, i have been on this site for a while have not posted in a while, but read regularly, when i cant sleep or having a hard time, and most of the time the post help... so keep up the good work, but remember we have an amazing God, and He puts people in our paths to help us,,, sometimes even people that don't see eye to eye with us.... May my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Bless you all... love and prayers Sarahjo

• Like 2

New normal    1,274

dear readers and posters, i am a baptist by choice, but this does not mean that baptist will or are the only Christians alive, Christian means Christ like, meaning that we are to act or treat others as Christ would treat them.... It helps to have a place to say, hey fellow pwp  i am struggling today and my friends and family members don't understand, can you please pray for me, and so on. we get enough judgemental garbage out in our personal lives. in this place and time we need each other and shoulders we can cry on, or yell because we are frustrated, (about what we are experiencing, etc..) so please ladies and gentlemen don't sweat apple and oranges on here, does it matter who is right or wrong scripturally? the point if i am understanding it right is to uphold each other in prayer and to be able to voice openly our faith without offending others... I am thankful you started this thread and i look forward to reading others post, without arguments, or hurtful statements. i personally get enough of that in the real world, we need encouragement from one another and this disease... 

many of you don't know me, i have been on this site for a while have not posted in a while, but read regularly, when i cant sleep or having a hard time, and most of the time the post help... so keep up the good work, but remember we have an amazing God, and He puts people in our paths to help us,,, sometimes even people that don't see eye to eye with us.... May my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Bless you all... love and prayers Sarahjo

Amen, sarahjo, amen. Thank you for posting...I look forward to hearing more from you....I am certain you have much to give, and I have lots to learn.

New normal    1,274

Next time I'll post from my other daily message book, Jesus Calling. Today's message in that book came from Psalm 73:23-24 and 1 Corinthians 13:12. The reading was about always looking to Jesus for answers about what to do next, and not giving in to worry about the future. This thread will grow or not, as God intends. I never know when what I write or say will reach someone who has not been able to hear the voice of God any other way. 

I start every single morning with the following prayer: "God, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy love and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always." 

God speaks to me in many ways and through many people and in many books besides the Bible. I am grateful for that, because when I visited my grandmother in Indiana as a child, she and her husband took us every Sunday to the Baptist church. Every Sunday afternoon, my step-grandfather molested me. I learned from that that Bible readers were scary people. As an adult, I know that not to be true of all of them. Forgiving abusers has been a huge part of my recovery and growth toward the person God has always seen me to be. 

Namaste means "The God in me recognizes the God in you." In my church in Texas, our minister said, "The Light of Christ in me Salutes the Light of Christ in You." Jesus teaches only Love and I do my best to do the same. There were no Christians in Jesus' world, yet he told his disciples when they asked, "When did we deny you food or shelter?", He said, "If you have done it to any, you have done it to me." 

Blessings to all,

Dianne

Diane,

Since I joined the forum, I have learned something from EVERY post you make regardless of the topic. You reserve your comments and they are always well thought out and meaningful. Unlike me, who cannot escape my Irish heritage and spout whatever is in my now not so full brain.....:)

You reflect the genuine love of Christ....and I am grateful for people like you who accepted me without judgement, were patient with my independent spirit, and saw my divine potential.

Before I joined a church....still an atheist....I had an experience wherein I felt the spirit. I cd not post this on any other thread without fear of being assaulted...but I feel safe here. Let me share:

My husband was a firefighter/paramedic. His Battalion Chief fell off a roof and sustained a head injury. He was in a coma for 30 days. His wife, and two other couples were our close friends. Nancy, his wife, was a practicing Buddhist, the second couple were devout Catholics, the third couple were Pentecostal, and I was an atheist/agnostic.

I suggested (ironically the agnostic) if we could have a service for Russ....I said, I don't belong to a church...but there must be some power in collective good vibes....:)......(seems so funny to me now).......they agreed. We contacted the fire department chaplains who arranged for a service dedicated to him to be held in the Episcopalian St Luke's chapel...one of the largest in the city.

I sat in the first row with Russ's wife Nancy and watched the cathedral fill to capacity...with people waiting outside the doors. The three chaplains spoke, and we all prayed for the Chief's recovery. I felt the spirit for the first in my life, and to this day I will never deny that feeling. Nor can I convince anyone of the authenticity of that moment. All denominations in the area committed to using their prayer chains and their services to pray for his recovery. The service was held in the evening. The next morning, Russ responded.

Skeptics for sure can suggest any number of theories how his awakening could have been serendipity. I can never deny what I believe was a true miracle. Was it enough for me to convert? Uhhhhhhh, no. I am a "stiffed neck" individual....and fiercely independent....it wd take more than a miracle to convince ME there is a divine power. (Silly me)

And so it goes.....in this instance all denominations within the boundaries of the city joined in common prayer...for the sake of a very fine man.

All who participated may not even have been Christians..nor even believers...but I am convinced God heard them all.

Thank you all for letting me share.

• Like 1

Beau's Mom    1,053

NN,

I've never not been a believer in God, but I had a skewed idea of who God thought I was. In 12 Step programs, the second step is, "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."  I realized I had to separate God from my parents who didn't protect me from pedophiles. I did an interesting exercise regarding Step 2 in which I realized that God looked like my critical, judgmental mother and my distant, uninvolved dad. I had an opportunity then to decide what kind of Higher Power I could live with. I chose a more loving, involved, caring God. I first felt His presence at an AA meeting I attended with some other Al-Anon members after the funeral of an AA member who had committed suicide. I felt it again the night my daughter nearly died. I have felt it every single day since July of 2013, when I finally gave up any illusion of control.

We all deserve love and support, as sarahjo so beautifully pointed out. There is no wrong path to God. I am grateful we're here to help each other remember that we are unconditionally loved.

Dianne

LewisMaxie    63

My father in law is fine. He left the hospital yesterday. Thanks for your prayers! Linda I don't know the Stevens but they sound like nice folks. I came to this post hoping to find someplace to share my prayer request and someplace to get some encouragement in dealing with Parkinson.   That's what I hope to find here.

• Like 1

Linda Garren    735

My father in law is fine. He left the hospital yesterday. Thanks for your prayers! Linda I don't know the Stevens but they sound like nice folks. I came to this post hoping to find someplace to share my prayer request and someplace to get some encouragement in dealing with Parkinson.   That's what I hope to find here.

So glad to hear your father-in-law is doing well.  Good news!

Linda Garren    735

It is with  a very heavy heart that I will be leaving this thread.  I hear very clearly that what people want is the freedom to say what they believe and that whatever anyone believes is fine for them.  Since so many of you have expressed that is what you want, I do hear you and will move on.  I can't be part of this any longer because I would feel that I can't share unless I agree to that.

I would appreciate if someone would pick up in my place and perhaps have administration rename it so that it reflects a more accurate rendering of what the thread is--a sharing of faiths and beliefs or whatever you would feel appropriate.

Thank you to everyone who has participated.  I care for you each so very much, and this is not an easy decision for me. 

graflexmaster    1,182

Linda, I would hope that you'd help keep this thread active. It will live on no matter what, and is a great place for Christians to speak their mind and/or find solace in their weary world. Please stand strong, don't allow others to force you out or dictate what you should or should not say, think, or do. If anyone doesn't like or agree with what's discussed in this thread? Then they don't need to read it, or participate. It's their choice. If they choose to participate, then they need to respect that this is a Christian faith based thread, and that Christian ideals are going to be discussed.

Edited by AB-Normal

sarahjo    68

wait Linda, why are you leaving this thread? I am so confused, Don't go,,,, you are just as important as the rest of us.... and we all need one another... Please explain to me why you are leaving this thread? I have had a really crappy day and i am a stubborn German woman who is just about had enough of people telling others what to say what to think what to feel and etc.... this is a Christian thread right? well, I need to vent,,, I have had a dr. tell me how much pain i am in and how i should feel whether i am depressed, and that we have to deal with this before we can talk about fixing my lower back even though l4 and l5 are slipping apart while i am laying on my right or left side when going to bed. but i am not depressed i am very upset because they want to tell me how to feel and what i am feeling and so on... the truth is this i am praying for answers and God is providing them and this dr is really starting to rub me the wrong way, so i call my nuero and ask can i please go get a second opinion the receptionist said absolutely i can, and that is exactly what i am going to do tomorrow, i am sick and tired of ppl telling me what to think say feel etc... this Stubborn German Christian woman is fed up.... I love and respect everyone's opinions but if you are going to cut ppl down or try to run them out of a conversation then please don't get this wrong and only apply this where applicable, keep you mouth closed, God allows us the will to believe and to accept him or not and we need to allow others the same respect... so Linda please don't leave this thread for any other reason than you are choosing to... we love you and you have a lot to offer so i one pray that you reconsider. love and prayers to you all, Sarahjo

Linda Garren    735

Sarajo, I'm in the process of composing a post for you and the others.

By the way, my intention wasn't to cut people down.  I take responsibility for the misunderstanding since I didn't explain myself.  Yesterday was a very difficult day, and I just didn't do well.  I'm sorry, and I'll try to explain in my post. 

Linda Garren    735

Linda, I would hope that you'd help keep this thread active. It will live on no matter what, and is a great place for Christians to speak their mind and/or find solace in their weary world. Please stand strong, don't allow others to force you out or dictate what you should or should not say, think, or do. If anyone doesn't like or agree with what's discussed in this thread? Then they don't need to read it, or participate. It's their choice. If they choose to participate, then they need to respect that this is a Christian faith based thread, and that Christian ideals are going to be discussed.

Mike, thank you so much.  I really appreciate your support. 

I take responsibility for what happened yesterday in that I did not explain or handle the situation well.  I'm writing a post this morning to clarify.  No matter how I say it, it may not be understood or accepted well, but I'm asking the Lord to help me in trying to explain in a way that is understood as to my intents. 

Thanks again--

Linda

Linda Garren    735
Hi, everyone.  I'm in the process of writing a post that I'll send this morning explaining myself about pulling out.  (By the way, yesterday was such a  difficult day that I take responsibility for not having explained then.  I'll try to do a better job this morning.)

InTouchMinistries
Daily Devotional with Dr. Charles F. Stanley--Nov. 18, 2014

Sufficient Grace
thought the Christian life was going to be easier than this. Have these words ever entered your mind? Sometimes we come into the family of God thinking that our heavenly Father will fix all our problems and devote Himself to our happiness and comfort. However, that is not the reality portrayed in Scripture. Paul was a man whom the Lord used greatly, and yet his life was anything but easy.
In fact, at one point, the apostle thought his pain was too much to bear, and he begged God to remove it. There’s nothing wrong with asking the Lord to relieve our suffering, but what should our response be if He doesn’t? Paul probably had no idea that His experience would find its way into the Bible, to comfort and guide believers throughout the ages. The promise God gave him applies to us as well: “My grace is sufficient for you” (v. 9).
God’s grace could be defined as His provision for us at the point of our need. The problem is that sometimes it doesn’t seem as if the Lord truly is meeting our need. But He frequently sees deficiencies, outcomes, and complications that we don’t. His goals for us involve spiritual growth, the development of Christlike character, and strong faith. And trials play a vital role in achieving these. 
The important issue is how we respond. If all you want is relief, you could descend into anger and doubt. But if your desire is to become the person God wants you to be, you’ll see each trial as an opportunity for Christ to display His character and strength in you.

noah    66

I dont know what happened in the past few days since I read last and am work so cant really read everything now.  LindA this thread has been a blessing and i hope you wont sign off.  Will try to read through things tonight.  God Bless

Linda Garren    735

Thank you so much, Noah.

I'm having a lot of trouble with writing the post of explanation that I need to, because I know before I do that I'll be seen as intolerant or corrective, in a negative way.  Am still pondering over it.

Regardless of whether I stay or not, the thread can continue on--it didn't stop just because I did.  :-)  Please feel free to go ahead and keep posting, okay?

And if I can help you in any way by  e-mail, just let me know.

noah    66

I was going to wait until I got home to respond but I cant wait. The title of this thread is anyone interested in  christian topicsThe purpose of this thread is to support each other not to pick each other apart. If you are not a christian or dont beleive in christiany then you shouldnt be reading this thread short and sweet !

Linda Garren    735

I was going to wait until I got home to respond but I cant wait. The title of this thread is anyone interested in  christian topicsThe purpose of this thread is to support each other not to pick each other apart. If you are not a christian or dont beleive in christiany then you shouldnt be reading this thread short and sweet !

Noah, it really is a thread for both Christians and anyone else who may be interested in finding out more about Christ, so "seekers" are quite welcome, though I appreciate the intention of what you said. 

The issue has become that not all of us can post something objectively and directly from the Scriptures without being thought of as intolerant if it is not directly in line with others' beliefs or if it contradicts their beliefs.  I kind of  understand that, because once people figure out what they believe, it could be initially upsetting to them to hear (in their mind) that they are being criticized, or that I'm intolerant, when actually that is not the intention.  Personally, my own intention--just speaking for myself now--is from years of studying the Bible (4 of those in Bible College) (and I'm still no expert, but I do know the basics of Christianity), I'm concerned to share that there are some very basic tenants that are clear from what Scripture says that are either misunderstood or left out of what some believe a Christian is.  Even saying that, I know I'm making myself vulnerable to being criticized as to their feeling,  "Who do you think you are?"  When I see that kind of response, I get to feeling that perhpas it's time for me to move on.  When I share something directly from Scripture,  that even Jesus himself said about himself, and it's rebuffed, there is really nothing else I can say.  And unfortunately, division is very likely to occur, which I try very hard not to have happen.  I'm hoping there is some way we can work this whole issue out.  I have a lot more thinking to do and hope we can come up with a resolution.  We have a lovely group of all kinds of people, and we've grown very fond of each other.  I'd feel really bad, as would  many, if we can't figure this out together.  I'm also getting some input tomorrow from another Christian whose opinion I value very much and who may have some helpful advice.

Thanks for your patience.