helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Koontz

Sleep

Caregivers

Do you find your patient sleeps a great deal? My wife usually gets almost 10 to 12 hours per night, has a nap or twp each day, I am concerned about the amount of time spent sleeping. We are currently taking the Big and Loud physical classes which tires her out (and me too) but exercise is supposed to be good. I don't know I am just concerned?

I take care of my brother and he gets about the same amount of sleep.  I think the meds he is on contributes to that however.  Our doctors don't seemed to be concerned.  In fact the norm from what I've read is that most Parkinson's patients have trouble sleeping.  I'm grateful he doesn't have the problem of not being able to sleep. 

Crushing fatigue can be one of the fun symptoms of PD.  DH sleeps 8 hours a night, and then 2 naps during the day.  He's not on any medication, so while I'm sure it can be a side effect of meds, it's also a known symptom, just not an easily treatable or understood one.  The Parkinson's Disease Foundation, www.pdf.org has a webinar on the topic.  Like lhtrever, I'm glad he gets the sleep, as the day goes better when he's rested.

My mom is awake about 2 hours a day and that's total time and not all at once.   i think if your DH is not on meds than due to the depletion of dopamine he lacks the stimulation in the brain to stay awake ?  In my mom's case it's more like the meds side effects that is kicking in and making her sleepy.  We just can't win.   I've tried for years to get her to stay awake but nothing works for her. 

You are so right, we can't win! My hubby is not on meds, has advanced stage PD, goes to bed around 1 a.m. And sleeps until 10 or 11 a.m. Makes for interesting schedules when breakfast is at lunch time!

I sleep better since i started my CPAC for sleep apnea.IF I go to be after 12 i might get away without the machine.Something to do with the early REM sleep PD people get.I take no sleep meds ,but gabepenton does make me sleep better ,sometimes to much and groggy when i get up.Usaly 8 hours now sometimes less maybe 6..Get up to take my dog out early.