helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Koontz

Always cold

Do any of you caretakers find that your patient is always cold? My wife can have three to four layers of clothing on, it can be 75 degrees in th house and she may be just comfortable or a bit chilled. I can hardly breath because it is so warm. Does anyone else have this problem? We can go for a walk and she is bundled up like an Eskimo and we are in sunny southern Arizona!

Hi amrek and welcome

Yes for my DH too.  My DH has temperature regulation problems, so I have to be very careful to make sure he does not get to cold or to hot. For him that means 78 degrees, year round.  There are not many days that he can truly enjoy being outside.  If the house is cooler than 78 then he is bundled up, and will still feel cold.

• Like 1

I don't know about being too cold, but it seem my temp. regulator is screwed up the other way. I seem to always be too warm. I don't care if it's 45 or even 35 degrees I'll still break out in drenching sweats....... doesn't matter if it's 85, 45, or 35, or anywhere in between..........without warning I'll start seating buckets...........

I'm thinking that if anyone can fix being too cold? We can also fix being too hot..............I can dream can't I?

Edited by AB-Normal

I am always cold and it seems worse lately.  I have been wearing shirts, sweatshirts, long pants, 2 pairs of socks, wrapped up in a blanket with the gas logs on.  My DH is sitting there in shorts and a t-shirt.  I always wear socks to bed and have had to wear shirts under my work scrubs because of the being cold.

I noticed that lately.Went ice fishing with my son.It surely was cold,I did notice my affected side was gettng cold alot quicker than my good side.Even my handwarmers didnt warm me up.Now i know why some of my friends who live at ourVA complain about being cold.Thermal underwear should help as when i wore it I stayed comfortable even outside in 10 degree weatherIt was about 20 that day we hunted. :-P  :-P

Back when my mom still had tremors she would shake a lot more when she was cold.  Now her rigidity is worse when it's cold. Makes sense right?   Warmth usually relaxes while cold hardens.

However she would break out in a sweat when she was on too much Mirapex years ago.  So I think medication can cause the body's  temp to go up and down too and let's not forget hormones.  When women go through the change then it's anyone's guess.

My DH gets a whole C/L 25/100 at night for no other reason than to help with his body core temp due to the temperature regulation problem. Before I started giving that C/L his core body temp could drop to 95 degrees, now I am at least able to keep it at 96 or 97 degrees by morning even covered with blankets and a room at 78 degrees. 

Johnnys I love the idea for thermals, and so glad that they work for you, I tried them for my DH but I guess it is just another example of what works for one may not work for another.

Miracleseeker before my DH's DBS it didn't matter if he was hot or cold the rigidity was the same, the only thing that worked then for him was that the medication had to be "perfect". So medication does have a lot to do with all of this, as well as the disease itself.   It still amazes me how different each pwp can be, and yet some things can be so similar.

Over the last few months my hands and feet are like icicles. Sometimes I'll just go to the sink and let warm water wash over my hands. I used to love walking around in bare feet at home, but now keep socks on. I remember not so long ago reaching out to place my hand on the back of my wife's neck and she just about jumped out of her chair. I didn't realize how cold they were. I might as well have put an ice cube on her neck. I'm not sure if this is PD related, a medication effect, or something else. Has anyone else experienced this or know the probable cause?

Thanks for your replies.  My wife used to and still does wear sandals a lot without socks.  She never wanted the car heater directed toward the floor because it made her feet to warm.  Now she wears socks with her sandals or other shoes and may sit in her chair with her feet covered.  I guess it must be because of the PD.  I guess we will just have to get accustomed to new things popping up as the disease progresses.  It sure is a confusing state of affairs.  Just got to hang in???!!!

• Like 1