helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
New normal

My new PD friend

I have gone to my first support meeting and found a lovely lad whose husband has PD. I have encouraged her to join the forum. I hope you all will meet her soon.

I have gone to my first support meeting and found a lovely lad whose husband has PD. I have encouraged her to join the forum. I hope you all will meet her soon.

Are they a same sex couple or have you mistakenly used the term lad when you should have used lass?

New Normal,

Please tell your new friends, both of them, that they are most welcome here, and we all look forward to getting to know them.  There is more strength is numbers than there is traveling this road alone.

Roger, you said, what I thought...... but after talking to NN, I know that "lass" is the correct choice of words......... I blame the use of "lad" to Parkie fingers.....

I'm quite fluent in Parkie typonese........................................

Edited by AB-Normal

NN who cares if your fingers got ahead of themselves, or behind themselves.  

Let them know they are welcome, we caregivers aren't that particular about spelling.  :wink:

Haha...you guys are like family....I meant to say "lady"...on a serious note, let me clarify.

I attended my first support group meeting. 60 in attendance. After, I felt drawn to a lady who was lingering and asked if she had PD. She smiled and said that her husband had PD. He was at home.

I was so happy I could share with her about PD spouses on this forum who could help her learn about PD. I showed her the site and told her I knew people on the site her husband may enjoy contacting.

At the table, we worked on our I pads and actually made that post so she could see how easy it is......

I am sure glad I told her that people tease and joke....cuz when she looks up this thread she will already see all these replies...lol...

I told her the forum posters were friendly people....and if she posted, they would envelop her with warm friendship....

Do you folks realize how great it is to be able to say that with confidence??? To know that I can depend on the warmth of my forum friends...I found myself tearing as I spoke of the fellowship we find here....

Now I hope we haven't scared her off....hahaha...I forgot to tell her about our resident "word smith."......lets just hope we hear from her or her husband soon. ☺️

Now, back off you guys....and play nice! :)

• Like 1

:wink:  That's right Ab-Normal.  I tend just to let my fingers go, and then if I want I proof read, and if I don't I just leave it up to the translators.

Have a great night everyone.

NN,

I read your post and thought, what a wonderfully compassionate person you are. It's like you found someone lost in the dark and gave them a giant flashlight. You are a great example of why this forum is so special.

• Like 2

NN,

I read your post and thought, what a wonderfully compassionate person you are. It's like you found someone lost in the dark and gave them a giant flashlight. You are a great example of why this forum is so special.

Ok...here is the "rest of the story".....and at the risk of getting shackles up, I have to say that I was prompted to go to the meeting...and even more so to speak to the lovely lady. In the past, I have had dramatic promptings.....so much so, that I don't dare ignore them now....and I wanted to stay home this am because I am a bit nervous in group settings,now. And I actually had kind of a melt down this am at 4::00 am...I realized later I had not taken correct meds for about five days which could have contributed to it....but my melt down centered on the fact I feel so self involved...with increasing symptoms it seems I am nearly narcissistic about my health...and it saddened me....

I have made a conscious effort to do something for someone every day...which is generally my hubby...but I still have felt a real void....

This lady may not feel comfortable in coming to the forum....and I will follow up since she is just blocks from my home.....but the real "prize" of the day was mine......I met a genuine person with like minded values...from the Pacific NW where we lived....and she confirmed to me that I still have the ability to be comfortable with others.

AND. I was so grateful I was confident if she does decide to post, that people here will be kind and helpful..THAT is what is great about this forum!! :)

At one time I was a total "people person"....and have done a lot of social events...public speaking etc...but PD has stolen a lot of my confidence......now that I have had this remarkable reprieve...and I can talk again...and my tremors are controlled...I find a "re birth" of sorts.....

So this morning was really MY "win".....(see, the world STILL revolves around ME...:). )....which is ALWAYS the case when we do something for others...

This morning confirmed to me AGAIN, that Father knows me by name....and knows what I need, and will direct me in the right direction if I but acknowledge His presence.....I do hope I meet my friend again....which may happen tomorrow since she invited me to join her in a writing class at the library....WHICH is JUST what I need !!! The good Lord just works in mysterious ways....am I right??? Only when one experiences "serendipity coincidences" that you receive confirmation of a greater being....regardless of academics.

So a "win win". Maybe I'll go to writing class and not make such long posts here !!! Hahahahaha...a win for everyone ! :)

The REST of the story!!! Have a great evening everyone...... :)

PS:: to prove what I just said is true...notice the post I made at 6:00am under "struggles of a care giver" before I decided to go to the meeting.....it reflects the mood I was in....and how impressed I was with Trying Hard's post about love and family. That was the frame of mind I was in when I left the house....I was not tremoring ...but shaking with anxiety to go to an open meeting...and my husband came with me....and then VOILA.. I meet a friend!! Isn't life good?? :). :)

Edited by New normal
  • Like 3