helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
SkeeterElf

Tai Chi for Parkinson's

SkeeterElf    32

There were a few people interested in a video that is on Time Warner Cable called Tai Chi for Parkinson's.  I myself was interested in finding out more about this video so I had my husband, who has worked for Time Warner now for 27 years, go to the On Demand channels and try to locate this video.  It should have been listed under Channel 1009 under the category of Heath and Fitness, however, he was unable to locate it.  When we went to the Time Warner website and did a search the listing for this particular video does appear as being an active program.  When we clicked on the link nothing came up.

So at this time my husband is working with the Tech Ops folks to see if this video is available On Demand and if so what Channel it is on.  It may no longer be available and they have just not updated their website but as soon as I hear back from him regarding this issue I will let everyone know the status.

swimmer    175

Thanks for doing this!  I was looking for something the other day and couldn't find it.  I wish they could keep some shows, especially fitness/health shows on all the time instead of re-cycling.

mickigarden    56

I don't know if this DVD is the tv program you refer to. It is called Easy Tai Chi-Qigong for people of all ages especially for seniors and people with Parkinson's by Don & Victoria Fiore.  It is recommended on this site  (Parkinson's Foundation) in the dvd library. Also available through their website http://TaiChiHealthProducts.org. This was my 3'rd attempt to find a video I could actually follow . It is well worth the $30 something it cost. It has 4 sections and you can do an individual part , each around 15 minutes.

I recently found a free exercise DVD on the Davis Phinney Parkinson site. I haven't received it yet but it sounds great. Micki

TexasTom    706

THANK YOU Skeeter.... I really thought I was loosing my mind on this one!

Micki's link helped with the memory jog to find it:

http://taichihealthproducts.org/exercise/

On YOU TUBE search  "Don Fiore"  Tai Chi     -- Found a Nice 7 video series:

Our Tai Chi instructor was having up  place weight on one leg when inhale, then shift to other leg on exhale.

At first I was little frustrated (I can follow ONE item, but got the hang of it after an hour).

SkeeterElf    32

Well everyone who was looking for the Tai Chi for Parkinson's on Time Warner Cable will be disappointed to learn that between my husband and his Technical Support group they were unable to locate this 8-hour video anywhere.  They searched high and low but to no avail.  The only thing showing now on their website is a very short video that has to be viewed on your computer.  So I guess we are all out of luck with being able to get it on TV.

Sorry for the bad news - I was hoping for better results and a happy ending.

• Like 1

mickigarden    56

Texas Tom, I always forget about YouTUBE!  One of the clips they have is a sample of the video I have. If you do order a DVD it's the one that mentions it is for people of all ages and especially for seniors and people with Parkinsons in the title which is different than the one that is listed on the link. only says for seniors in the title. I wanted to make sure I was not leading anyone astray. Micki

Edited by mickirose

I've been using these videos from YouTube -- great, great, great -- Sherryl Klingelhofer -- she's terrific. look at all her videos for specific PD exercises from your toes to your nose. literally. I LOVE her Tai Chi videos. 8 moves. Seated or standing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf-RVp3pEibiQPbeJSPLc4w/videos

• Like 1

TexasTom    706

Noticed t my lower back is sore.  I suspect I did too much pelvis rock during Monday's Tai Chi  class.

Need to add a "dead bug" PT in my nightly routine.   I keep forgetting to lay flat on my back, and pull in stomach muscles.

Video does a nice job of explaining it, but like everything start out slow.  Irony is I am the youngest at those day time "Parkinsons Fitness Classes"  -- but most of the 70/80 year old PWPs are much more flexible and in better shape than I am as most have done these classes for the past two years.  Fantastic resource for those of us in and near Austin, TX.

Physical Therapy - Dead Bug Exercise by MoveForwardPT.com

Edited by TexasTom