helplinedonate
New normal

Watch your teeth!

Hi folks,

I tried to find the thread on dental work....and gave up.

I am just the bearer of glad tidings lately....but I want to alert others to what I have discovered.

I have always taken good care of my teeth. Regular check ups etc.

My last exam showed a softening of the bone...and I had a cavity...which I haven't had since I was a kid....AND the surface of my teeth have been ground down to resemble sand paper. I asked the dentist wny my teeth seemed so rough.

After a long discussion , we surmised I am not "bruxing" or clenching my teeth that is common....and he said PWP often rub their teeth smooth....with no crowns or peaks in their teeth. But in my teeth, apparently during the night or during the tremor storms , I chatter the teeth because of tremor so hard, that it is crumbling the surface. Even the surface of the porcelain crowns.

Since I have reduced the Amantadine,facial tremors have increased....and now I notice a certain chatter of teeth even during the day....I know, great news, huh?

I bring it up, tho, cuz I am getting a mouth guard to protect me teeth....and hope others will be proactive in preventing damage.

Just a word to the wise....not a negative...Pd is the gift that just keeps on giving....

Good luck you guys...

• Like 3

Also some medications change the consistency of our saliva or we get "dry mouth". This can encourage tarter buildup and lead to cavities. My dentist has me brushing and flossing at least 2x/day and using Biotene mouth rinse. We also increased cleanings to every three month instead of every six. I also use Amantadine and Azilect which have known side effects of drying the mouth. The flossing gets tricky with hand coordination issues. I have flossed religiously my entire life but it got more challenging with my PD. they make long handled flossers which I guess I may try next but have managed the original way so far.

This is great information. Thank you both very much. If you don't mind though I have a question, I know this thread is about teeth..so I am sorry to veer off but it does have to do with the mouth, I have looked for info but can't find any. Is it normal with dry mouth or maybe being on sinemet to get mouth sores? My mouth is very dry most the day now no matter how much I drink but what is really bothersome to me is I have developed a sore on both sides on the inside of my cheek. both seem to have a tiny hole in the middle and spread from there into little swollen sores. I have tried salt water (made mouth dryer), tried a specialized peroxide mouth rinse for dry mouth and sore(this agitated mouth), now I have been using antiseptic listerine and oragel for mouth sores. They seem to be getting better but slowly. I have never had a problem with my teeth or sore in my mouth so I am thinking it's the sinemet but I'm unsure. I also find my teeth are getting sensitive. Have any of you had similar problems or know if this is medication related and will go away?thank you

We have neuro-ophthalmologists for eyes. Maybe we need a neuro-dentist as well!  But is that what they would call themselves?  Ideas, anyone?

You can Google Biotene coupons to save money!

Dianne

I'm not a doctor or dentist but that sounds like apthous ulcers. I would imagine that the mouth environment changed due to the dryness caused by our meds. Biotene should help and not be painful. Biotene makes a spray and a gel in addition to the mouthwash. They used to make a chewing gum but you can't find it anywhere. But any gum with xylitol will also help.

• Like 1

My dentist also recommended a prescription strength fluoride rinse. We, PWP, don't swallow as much, become mouth breathers, droolers and middle of the night dry tounged zombies. I find swishing with the generic/cheaper version of biotene from wallymart helpful. Anybody else bothered by the thick gunk in the back of the throat? I try gargling it out, but usually end up in dry heave gagging. Anybody else notice increased gag reflex?

Well, on the positive side, Spring is just around the corner. I saw a photo on facebook recently of a garden store with a sign which stated: SPRING IS ALMOST HERE!!! I'M SO EXCITED I ALMOST WET MY PLANTS!!!!

• Like 3

TN dad, yes lately I've notice the thick gunk at back of throat which causes me to cough. Dr. thought it was a sinus infection/drip but just tonight I notice while eating a cookie the gunk started again.  Interesting no cookie in a week no gunk/cough....think it has some thing to do with dryness. I will try gargling but don't hold any hope...mystery.  I did try biotene spray but didn't see any improvement.  Just drinking water, water, water.

Patricia

Interesting thread.  My dentist has been unhappy with the wear rate on my teeth for several years and has been trying to get me to use a night-guard.  I wonder if the clenching was an early symptom??

Hey Stump,

Did you ever get a mouth guard? My dentist just told me I'm starting to grind my molars and I've even cracked a small chip in one. She wants me to start wearing a mouth guard. My teeth have been chattering randomly since December.

Nope.  He quit bringing the subject up about the time I posted that.  My guess is that the wear had stabilized so he saw no need.  But, next time I see him I'll try to remember to ask about that.

After the doctor who was my primary doctor put me on a c-pap after a sleep study I never gave it too much concern or thought, used it for a while and just kind of faded out. But after one night of snoring or rather  gasping for air I've used it every night. It's been hard to come to terms with but maybe I can cope with it. How does this relate to teeth ? I've always had soft teeth with cavities galore, the last visit to the dentist he pulled a total of 6 teeth,  with another 5 on the to -do list.  I've been told by a dental assistant that the meds that are used to treat PD will simply destroy some people's teeth ! True or not ?

I was wondering why I was suddenly having cavities when I hardly ever did before.  This is the first I've heard about that C/L is the cause.

And I am losing all my savings on paying for implants!

I may have to open a hot dog stand on a downtown street corner.  :-)

Edited by Linda Garren