helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
kgs914

My first experiences with Rytary

Not so good.  I'm 58 years old and was diagnosed with pd about 17 years ago.  I've been on Sinemet for 15+ years.  I was prescribed the weakest strength (out of the four) 23.75/95.   The first time I tried it, i took one every three or four hours during the day.  Didn't feel anything at all.  Next day, same schedule, but two at a time.  Nothing.   I tried three at a time (different day) and still nothing.  Same thing a couple of days later with four at a time, still felt nothing.  So I went back to the 50/200cr's I've been using for years now.  i get a lot of side effects, but at least when they are over, there is some relief for a while.  I have a neuro appt next week and will get the 61.25/245 (highest strength) prescribed and see what that does.  Hopefully, I will have better luck.   ken

This med, along with most PD meds, is to start low and go slow. This way you start with the lower strength, and slowly increase to avoid the side effects.

You are not along when it comes to trying this new med. Many people are having the same effect. I think we forget how the first time trying our old meds were when they were "new" to us.

I hope you keep an open mind and give it a true chance. If it works...great. If it doesn't... You gave it your best shot. Nothing to regret.

Hope this helps and please keep me posted.

My Mom is 76 and has had PD for 15 years. She was taking 1 1/2 Sinemet every two hours for the past year. When Rytary came on the market she started it in April at 3 pills (195 mg) 3 times a day. She is not having much relief for 'off' times. Plus when she tried 3 pills four times a day she had terrible dyskinesia and was so exhausted from the movements!!

We are so disappointed and are now considering trying the 145 mg 4x a day or going back to the Sinemet and the Neupro patch. Or maybe the duodopa pump?? Anyone tried that yet??

Does anyone know if she will ever find stability again? Nothing seems to be working well for her anymore. Her quality of life is so compromised now. How does the doctor even know what combo of pills to suggest at this point?

Any comments would be appreciated.

With PD we all hope for the magic pill, but what may work for some does not work for others.

If she was more stable on the sinemet, that might be what you may have to go back to.

I have heard some good success stories with the pump, so that might be an option to level her out.

Hope this helps.