helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
baz

Cost of Rytary

Recently my wife who has PD was given the opportunity of trying Rytary Extended-Release 48.75 mg / 195 mg capsules. She has started with a free sample of 200 capsules. The starting daily use is 3 capsules 4x/day for a total of 12 capsules per day.

We have Medicare D & HUMANA/RightSourceRx Drug program. I enquired with HUMANA as to the cost for Rytary for my wife. They indicated it was not on their list...

• Rytary is not covered by our Medicare Part D + HUMANA/RightSourceRx (soon to be renamed HUMANA Pharmacy) supplement drug plan. It’s so new and there’s no generic substitute either.
  • We would have to pay the full cash price for the medicine which would be $2951 for a 90-day supply

After I and my wife's PD Center soliciting/challenging/persuading HUMANA we were able to get them to place Rytary on their list. Thus RYTARY is now covered and our cost will be some $980 for a 90-day supply.

Obviously this Rytary is expensive.

I have a friend living in Hawaii and is contracts with Kaiser for Medical Drug coverage and the cost for Rytary Extended-Release 48.75 mg / 195 mg capsules for a 30-day supply is $95. Kaiser list Rytary as a Tier 4 Drug.

The cost between our HUMANA and Kaiser is very different.

What means do we have to lower the Rytary cost ?

Does our cost for Rytary count toward reaching the Medicare Coverage Gap (the donut hole) and if so will the cost blower by some 55% once in the Coverage Gap ?

Thank you.

Since it is not covered by medicare part d, it will not count toward the gap. What I have recommended is that you go to www.rytary.com and there is a coupon there that would bring the cost to around $175 + 1 free Rx per month.

The way to find the best cash price is to call around. I have found the big box stores like Walmart, Costco, and Sam's Club on average have the lower prices. But it sounds like the $95 is the best deal around, and it is still a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

Tahaaàt is still a good deal. You can also go to www.rytary.com and look for a manufacturer coupon to help with some of the cost.

I would also check with the Dr for some samples, sometimes it is a hit or miss.

Hope this helps, and keep me posted.

Mark here is some info on getting rytary support from impax the mfg of the drug. Support is given when meeting the criteria which is family prescriptions must meet out of pocket costs of not less than 3% of net income. net income eligibility is three times or less the federal poverty guideline. somewhere near 40k, assets are not subject to the test but income earned and substantiated by copies of irs 1040,1040A 1040EZ W2 1099PR  AND 1099 SS OR IF YOU DID NOT FILE 4506T. IF YOU HAVE A MEDICARE PART D YOU WILL NEED TO SHOW OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES. I THINK MOST PWP THINK THAT IF THEY OWN A HOUSE OF HAVE A PENSION THAT THEY WONT BE ELIGIBLE, ONLY INCOME FROM WAGES, SS, AND 401K AND IRA DISTRIBUTIONS, INTEREST AND CAPITAL GAINS COUNT TOWARDS THE ELIGIBILITY STANDARDS. THE DRUG IS FREE FOR UP TO A YEAR, BUT THE INCOME TEST MUST BE MET EACH YEAR. HOPE THIS MAY HELP SOME PWP TOO AN INTRODUCTION TO RYTARY. APPLICATIONS ADRESS IMPAX PHARMACEUUTICALS PATIET ASSISTANCE PROGTAM PO BOX 66554 ST.LOUIS, MO 63166-66554 PHONE 1-877-764-9021 FAX 1-877-764-9022