helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
MComes RPH

No new update on generic Azilect...here's why

MComes RPH    182

I have just got in touch with Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Rite Aid, Meijer, Kmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target, several independent pharmacies, along with delivery medication warehouses Cardinal and McKesson and none of them have the generic in stock.

When I checked online it did show that some Mail Order and Canadian online pharmacies had it for sale. After calling them, they could not confirm that they had it in stock and told me that they needed the prescription before they could tell me.

So, at this point, I would have to say that the generic Azilect is not available.

If someone has told you or you know that a pharmacy has it in stock, please let me know so I can verify it and share it with others.

MComes RPH    182

The same news I heard still stands today, anytime between the end of this year through February of 2017.

If i hear anything new, I will let you know.

Discovery    387

I should mention the cost of brand in Canada is $248 for 30.... Generic cost is $240 for 30

Not much of a saving...

D

MComes RPH    182

Discovery,

Thanks for the information. I know that the regulations put forth by the FDA are different from those in Canada, but I hope you are correct.

The price difference will not be that different to start due to the fact that only one generic company is producing it. When more than one generic company compete for the production then you will see the prices drop.

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.

• Like 1

MComes RPH    182

Thank you for the info. It is good news.

The only issue I see, which I have seen in past, is that when there is only one generic drugs company with the patent you do not see an incredible decrease in price. It is when multiple generic companies get involved that you see a great decrease in price.

I hope with all the national focus on drug companies and the price hike of medications , that we will see a significant change in how the pricing structure could change.

Let's hope for the best.

I hope this helps.

MComes RPH    182

It appears that it is available by Orchid Pharmaceuticals. It appears that it is not available though all wholesalers and it seems to be rolling out slowly. From the other pharmacists from various companies that I have spoken with, it is a hit and miss as to which wholesalers and in which parts of the country it is available.

If your pharmacy does not have it available ask them if the can "special order" it through their secondary wholesaler.

The best way to find out if it is available in your area is to call the major pharmacies in your area (ie. CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, and local Independent Pharmacies.

If you use a Mail Order Pharmacy, it would also be in your best interest before you get a refill to call them to see if they have the Generic available.

I hope this helps.

MComes RPH    182

It appears there is only a generic available for the 1mg Azilect and the cash price, without insurance, will be about $749.00 (give or take a few dollars) for a quantity of #30 tablets.

I hope this helps.

waruna01    52

wow. that is more expensive than bran name azilect. I was quoated somehere around $500 range for 30 supply of azilect

MComes RPH    182

When a generic medication comes out (usually by one manufacturer) you will not see much of a price difference between what Azilect used to cost and what the generic price is now. What byou may also see is that when a generic becomes available, the price on the brand name will usually go up to try and make up for the loss of money due to the generic now being available. It is best to call around to Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Kmart, etc.. to find the best price.

I hope this helps.

MComes RPH    182

As to when we should expect more generic companies on the market is up in the air. The exclusivity clause should be 6 months but could also be longer if the brand name company signed a clause with the generic company that they may be the sole proprietor of the production of the generic for an extended length of time. When it comes to Brand name and Generic medication production there are many laws that come into play and deals that are made between companies that it is really difficult to predict when other companies may have the opportunity to produce the generic. I always try to look on the bright side and with this situation I see that we are moving in the right direction with at least one company producing the generic now, which means there are more to come.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

Tamara    1

Hi! I.m really shoked by this price for azilect. In Spain it is 154 euro for 30 tabs , in France 98. 1 euro currently is 1,04 USD. HOW it could be??? It is medication not chocolate !!! Really very surprised.  

MComes RPH    182

I know that the price seems a bit outrageous compared to other countries. Much of it has to to with the regulations set fourth by the FDA in the United States. The FDA has rigorous standards that must be upheld and practiced before a medication can be released to the public. This accounts for a great deal of money to be put on research and developement. Many other countries do not have the same standards.

There is also the patent issue. In the United States as soon as the molecule is discovered it needs to be patented and at this point the clock starts ticking. The drug company has 7 years to do their research and development, drug trials, and advertising to bring this to the public. This process could take years. Let's just say this process takes 4 years. That leaves 3 years for the company to to make up for the millions they have already spent plus time to make a profit. After the seven years has expired the patent should expire also which would allow generic companies the ability to produce the medication. This is where a grey area happens. Some times the Brand Name company may contact a specific generic company and tell them they they will have the sole rights to produce the medication only if they allow the Brand Name company to produce the Brand name for a few more years. This is why you will see that a patent is supposed to expire on a certain date (let's say March of 2017), but the generic may not come to the public until months later (let's say January of 2018).

The FDA truly does have the highest standards when it comes to the safety of medication being produced. I know it can be aggravating but I don't know if anyone can put a price on safety. I also know that most of us with PD would try almost anything if it had the possibility of helping us because, as of today, there is no cure.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.