helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Gautam

Nicotine Patch for PD.

Hi,

Read the attached blog,  Sounds interesting. Has anybody tried this?

Regards

Gautam

Nicotine patch for Parkinson’s Disease

Here is some new hope for people suffering from Parkinson’s disease.

My husband has been suffering from Parkinson’s disease for the past ten years. He is under PD drugs like Syndopa, Parkin and Ropark to manage his symptoms, and undergoes physiotherapy regularly.  In spite of all this, his condition is gradually deteriorating. He needs help for all his daily activities like getting up from bed or chair, for taking bath, putting his glasses on, for eating, etc.

Recently my daughter in USA came across an article in a PD patient forum about the nicotine patch and its benefits for patients with PD and dementia.  Doing some more investigation, she found out that recent studies have shown benefits of nicotine to persons with Parkinson’s disease, without any side effects. Cigarettes contain nicotine but they also contain tar and it has been found that tar is the harmful substance that causes cancer while pure nicotine itself is not harmful. So nicotine patches are now available over the counter and are used by people who want to give up smoking.

We decided to give nicotine patch a try as PD drugs that my husband was taking, only give temporary relief but have bad side effects like constipation, etc., and the disease itself was progressing. We were running out of options and it seemed that it wouldn’t hurt to try in any case. 

Nicotine patches are small patches about the size of a small mobile phone. We bought 14mg patches.  Initially a quarter of a patch (3.5mg) can be used, as the body has to get used to a new drug in the system. It has to be stuck on the arm or some part of the body that is not hairy. It can remain for 18-24 hours and then it has to be replaced by another one but on a different place in the body. For example if we stick it on the left arm one day, it can be placed on the right arm next day.  It has been suggested in the PD forums that the patch be removed at night as the patch may promote wakefulness. The dose can be very gradually increased over a period of several months for maximum benefit.

The good news I have to report is that we have been trying this on my husband for the past two weeks and result is remarkable.  He has more balance, able to walk longer distances, has more speech clarity and mental clarity.  I would say there is all round improvement. This is the first time in all these years that there is actually an improvement in his condition, and that itself is very significant.

Edited by Gautam

Wow!  that is great information!  Doesn't it make your heart race and increase anxiety though?  I have a real dip in energy and spirits after my 2pm dose,  i wonder if i put a quarter patch of nicotine on for four hours if that would sharpen me up and give me more of a day to work with...then take it off before it could disturb my sleep....hmmmm...or should it be an ace up the sleeve for when the PD advances further and this cognitive decline descends into more frightening depths...

...have you tried it, Gautam?  are you on any meds right now?

Hi Spaxter,

Will reply in detail shortly! Till then, I attach what my SIL researched and sent me the following data.

Regards

Gautam

"I am researching this. The Michael J Fox Foundation is sponsoring a clinical trial to investigate these promising findings. Here’s is what I am reading now with preliminary research:

There is now robust experimental evidence for a neuroprotective effect of nicotine upon dopaminergic neurons. By contrast, in animal models of Parkinson's disease, nicotine alone has slight or no motor effects. However, nicotine may modulate dopamine transmission and has clear motor effects when associated with L-DOPA, reducing L-DOPA-induced dyskinesias. Clinical trials have yielded inconclusive results thus far and are hampered by different designs and small cohorts. Ongoing studies address either symptomatic motor or nonmotor symptoms, or neuroprotection. There is still no agreement on the daily dosage of nicotine or the method of administration. Together, these data suggest that nicotine or nicotinic receptor drugs have therapeutic potential for Parkinson's disease, although the specific treatment regimens remain to be determined."

I knew MJFF was doing a trial  for nicotine but I can't find any updated information.

Spaxter-I believe its neuroprotective so if one chose to try it you would need to start now, not wait and save it as an option for later.  But the article Gautam posted above states that for motor symptoms to be helped in needs to be used in conjunction with L-dopa.  If I've misunderstood would someone correct me please.

Also, has anybody heard how much would be needed and if nicotine gum would be a viable option?

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1

Really? We have PD and must take levadopa or whatever for the rest of our lives, and we're gonna worry about a nicotine patch being addictive? Hey, if it works, call me an "addict"

• Like 2

I understand your point.  I have just heard a lot of bad things about nicotine... especially the strong addiction (it is said to be one of the worst).  I had a bad withdrawal from a prescription drug once, so maybe I am paranoid.

I am new to PD medicine, so I don't know all the heavy hitters out there.  Even though the med I am on now is causing occasional nausea and is somewhat hard on the body, I am thankful I can get moving again and support my family.  I guess in Nicotine really works, that is great there is another tool out there, but I would try a lot of other things first before that.

I think the problem with ANY med we might take for PD is that they work on some symptoms (tremor for example) with some people, other people not so much. Nicotine might take someone's tremor away, but not someone elses. We have to "trial and error" these things to see what is gonna be our perfect little cocktail, so I'm told. Who knows?...down the road I might be popping Sinemet, smoking a joint, slapping on a nicotine patch, and drinking a 6 pack of "hoppy" beer, just to get going in the morning. :-P

I'm fairly new to all this PD stuff too, but I'm learning not to question anyone's protocol, cos they're just doing what feels right for them.

Edited by musicman

Hello 

sorry for my english . 

i use nicotine patch since five years and it s change my life.  the efficacity of nicotine patch depends of your age, your date of diagnostic, your genetic ect ...

two trial should publish their result in the end of this year.

NICOPARK II , Dr Villafane (APHP)

NIC PD , dr Oertel and Boyd (mj fox foundation) 

we re impatient to konw their results but it seem positif 

• Thanks 1