helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Dr.Ro

Lewy Bodies and Trehalose

The accumulation of misfolded α-synuclein in dopamine (DA) neurons is believed to be of major importance in the pathogenesis of Parkinson’s.

Trehalose, a kind of sugar found in fungi, has been found to have a neuroprotective effect in vitro and animal models, especially in Huntington's, Parkinson's and other neurodegenerative diseases This is by:

-autophagy: Trehalose-induced autophagy enhanced the clearance of autophagy substrates like mutant huntingtin and the A30P and A53T mutants of alpha-synuclein, associated with Huntington disease (HD) and Parkinson disease (PD), respectively (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17182613)

-protection against toxic compounds (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25064079)

-inhibiting misfolded protein aggregation (http://www.mdpi.com/2218-273X/5/2/724/htm)

It is interesting how this could be a major research opportunity for new therapeutics (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12035-015-9173-7) but you don't hear about it often. Actually it seems in eastern countries they have a better understanding and more interest in this topic.

My husband has started to take trehalose with his morning yogurt, based on this findings.

Anybody out there is taking it?

• Like 1

Where would one obtain it and how would you know how much is too much and how much is too little?  has your husband noticed any effects from it?

We had to import it from Japan, we don't live in the States and here is unavailable. But i think amazon has it.

As for quantities, we are using 5 gr/daily. He started less than a month ago, and we don't expect an overnight cure, it's a rather long term approach i think

"As trehalose is widely used as excipient in pharmaceutical formulations, our data suggest that this molecule could be associated with other drugs to develop a promising new approach for treating PD and other brain-related diseases."

Seems best to wait til they figure out the formulation before willy-nilly trying to take some and hoping for the best.

By the way, an "excipient" is defined as...

1. an inactive substance that serves as the vehicle or medium for a drug or other active substance.
Edited by musicman

Well said, MM...your post is underscored by history of these "enhancing" products that have evolved into life changing side effects...steady be the course.

My name is Joe Peck.  I am 50 years old.  My father and I have SCA1 an autosomal dominant neurodegenerative disease caused by a DNA repeat expansion.  I would like to share some basic information.  I am not suggesting anyone take anything, I am simply sharing information and my story.

First I am not an internet quack.  I was my high school valedictorian and graduated Dartmouth College Thayer School of Engineering with a Master's degree and high honors.

Ever since I discovered my genetic disorder I have been researching everything I possibly could from pathology to biology.  In the course of my reading countless scientific papers I found one molecule seemed to appear quite often.  That molecule was trehalose.  Finally about 2 months ago I discovered the results of a human clinical trial done by BioBlast Pharma of Israel.  In short BioBlast has provided early evidence that trehalose can do in the human brain what it long has been shown to do in mouse models.  BioBlast Pharma injected patients with 2 different forms of ataxia with trehalose.  They used IV administration because it is commonly believed that humans can not absorb a meaningful amount of trehalose by ingesting it.  The key finding is that all patients who were treated for a full year period either improved or stayed the same.  Ataxia is progressive so staying the same is clinically significant.  BioBlast pharma has been granted Orphan Drug status as well as compassionate use status to expand a Phase 3 double blind clinical trial of trehalose injections in the treatment of OPMD. (oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy)

At about the same time I discovered the information on the BioBlast clinical trial success, I met 2 individuals online that had Huntington's Disease. (Like my illness HD pathology is largely the result of mutant proteins that are "mis-folded") Actually both gentlemen had a genetic repeat indicating they had HD, but both men are asymptomatic.  Both men have been long time readers of Dr. Goodman's blog HD Drug Works.  Seven years ago Dr. Goodman coordinated a tiny patient study wherein people reported their results from trying different supplements.  The only supplement for which a couple people reported some effect was trehalose.  As a result both men have been ingesting 75g daily for 7 years.  The elder gentleman is 70 years old and just ran an ultramarathon.  Again, both men have no symptoms.

A week or two after those series of discoveries I came across another paper that proved interesting.  The paper was on another supplement, Niagen, or known by it's scientific moniker, nicotinamide riboside.

After much reading and discussion with various doctors and scientists I decided to put my father and me on a regimen of 80g per day of trehalose and 1000 mg per day of niagen.  ALL of my symptoms are gone and my father has gone from 100% use of a wheel chair to occasional use of a walker.  His speech has also improved noticeably. 

Here is some of the research upon which I based my decision:

Bioblast Announces Phase 2a Results of Trehalose in Patients with Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 3 (SCA3) 
Trehalose reduces aggregate formation and delays pathology in a transgenic mouse model of oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy 
A novel therapeutic strategy for polyglutamine diseases by stabilizing aggregation-prone proteins with small molecules 
Trehalose Attenuates the Gait Ataxia and Gliosis of Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 17 Mice Authors 
Effect of Trehalose on the Properties of Mutant γPKC, Which Causes Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 14, in Neuronal Cell Lines and Cultured Purkinje Cells 
Trehalose alleviates polyglutamine-mediated pathology in a mouse model of Huntington disease 
Trehalose rescues glial cell dysfunction in striatal cultures from HD R6/1 mice at early postnatal development. 
The potential of lactulose and melibiose, two novel trehalase-indigestible and autophagy-inducing disaccharides, for polyQ-mediated neurodegenerative disease treatment. 
The many faces of autophagy dysfunction in Huntington's disease: from mechanism to therapy. 
Trehalose reverses cell malfunction in fibroblasts from normal and Huntington's disease patients caused by proteosome inhibition. 
Can trehalose prevent neurodegeneration? Insights from experimental studies. 
The Alzheimer's β-secretase BACE1 localizes to normal presynaptic terminals and to dystrophic presynaptic terminals surrounding amyloid plaques. 
Degradation of misfolded proteins by autophagy: is it a strategy for Huntington's disease treatment? 
Stimulation of autophagy is neuroprotective in a mouse model of human tauopathy.? 
Huntington's disease: degradation of mutant huntingtin by autophagy.

Of some relevance for Parkinson's:

Treatment with Trehalose Prevents Behavioral and Neurochemical Deficits Produced in an AAV α-Synuclein Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease.

Trehalose upregulates progranulin expression in human and mouse models of GRN haploinsufficiency: a novel therapeutic lead to treat frontotemporal dementia.

blood-plasma-glucose-trehalose.png

NAD+ salvage pathway proteins suppress proteotoxicity in yeast models of neurodegeneration by promoting the clearance of misfolded/oligomerized proteins 

Nicotinamide riboside is uniquely and orally bioavailable in mice and humans 

NAD+ Replenishment Improves Lifespan and Healthspan in Ataxia Telangiectasia Models via Mitophagy and DNA Repair. 

NAD+: The convergence of DNA repair and mitophagy. 

Neuroprotective role of SIRT1 in mammalian models of Huntington’s disease through activation of multiple SIRT1 targets 

Nicotinamide riboside restores cognition through an upregulation of proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator 1α regulated β-secretase 1 degradation and mitochondrial gene expression in Alzheimer’s mouse models

Edited by JP66

I have Dementia With Lewy Bodies and early onset Alzheimer's. The Lewy Body thing is where the Parkinsonian stuff comes from. Why do I mention this, because I know I'm screwed but I hope for a better future. That is all.

I have Dementia With Lewy Bodies and early onset Alzheimer's. The Lewy Body thing is where the Parkinsonian stuff comes from. Why do I mention this, because I know I'm screwed but I hope for a better future. That is all.

BB,,Might be worth buying and printing this article and taking it to your neurologist.  I believe Alzheimer's is on the short list of diseases slated for human trials at Chromadex, the manufacturer of Niagen, perhaps there is a way to add yourself to the list of potential trial candidates through your doctor, if that was of interest to you.

Nicotinamide riboside restores cognition through an upregulation of proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator 1α regulated β-secretase 1 degradation and mitochondrial gene expression in Alzheimer's mouse models

and then this is worth discussing with your doctor as well:

Trehalose Alters Subcellular Trafficking and the Metabolism of the Alzheimer-associated Amyloid Precursor Protein*

However, if you do decide to share this information with your doctor it might be worth sharing the information on human trials as well.  Doctors who have heard of trehalose often assume it is unproven in humans so the recent human clinical trials performed by BioBlast might be new and important information to them:

Bioblast Announces Phase 2a Results of Trehalose in Patients with Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 3 

Edited by JP66
  • Like 1