helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
coacht

Post DBS, immediately following surgery.

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

A neighbor to my parents called about her son who had DBS on Monday. He is not able to walk and is still in the hospital. His voice is very soft. What has been everyone's experience immediately after the surgery? My DW went home the next day, but as the doctors said, she had the optimum outcome. He is around 60 if I recall correctly.

Hi Coach,

While I'd be the first to say that problems with gait and balance are common issues after DBS (myself included), I'd say that not being "able" to walk isn't. I would seriously question the placement of the leads, because even a slight misplacement can have a large impact on things like walking, and other aspects of motor control. I'd also be asking about things like stroke, etc...... Either way, I'd be asking the Dr.'s some serious questions.

Talked to his mother yesterday. He was able to sit some, his voice came back for a while. They had a speech therapist working with him also and that seemed to help.

I too an concerned.   I had no negative symptoms after surgery.  In fact, I was out touring San Francisco the next day.  I was exhausted that night, granted, but over all was doing great. 

I know we are all different and some take longer to recover.  There is a natural swelling in the brain after the surgery.  The cause of his negative symptoms could be as simple as that and his function might improve after the swelling goes down.

His wife just called me with some questions. I know his mother, but have never met either of them. He is in the local hospital now having physical therapy. His voice is soft but improving. He can feed himself now. It takes two people to help him walk. She said they have put off implanting the stimulator for another week. That's all I know for now. If I have time I might run over and visit them next week.

Well it sounds like he's getting better, slowly... although any improvement is a step in the right direction... and with the stimulator, he just might get even better.... at least we can hope

Edited by AB-Normal

Hello all,

Just thought I would give you an update. He still can't walk on his own and it took three people to get him home for Christmas and do things like go to the bathroom. He is still in the hospital going through physical therapy. that is all I know for now. I need to call his wife and see how things are going.

Coach.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Did they finally put his battery in? and if so, how did he respond? I feel for him and his family, as this could be any of us.....

As always, dont think twice to get a second opion from someone like Sierra Farris in Colorado who has helped many patients with post dbs issues

Hello all,

I just had an update relayed to me. He is still not home and is doing worse than he was before surgery. Hard to tell if it is the PD progression or the result of the surgery.  My wife is still doing well with the surgery, but her broken leg has set her back a lot.

Coach T

I found out that he is in a nursing home at this time and I don't know if there are any expectations for him to go home or not. Just the opposite experience of my wife.

Latest update. They have turned off the DBS and he is in a physical rehab for two weeks and if that doesn't work they are at the end of the line for now. He still can't walk. Not a good situation.

I highly sudgest you get with Dr Okuen group in Universiyt of  Florida medican center. Dr Okun can can give more info on his forum.

They may be able to wirk something out. UF is a public university. Their costs are reasonable. Dr Okun can direct u to the right person

These were some estimates given to me in 2015. Their prices shouldn’t have changed that much. These are estimates. So it can come out lower than stated. He may not need all of these options. Think you get huge discount from these prices if you self pay.

Office visit $663

Physical Therapy Evaluation $195-$285

Occupational Therapy Evaluation $195-$285

Speech Therapy Evaluation $198

Swallow Study $448

reprograming of the DBS device estimate is $1300-$2600.

Edited by waruna01