helplinedonate
shirleyengebretsen

Single with PD

On 8/13/2016 at 8:33 AM, J of Grey Cottage said:

Hi, miracleseeker --

As it happens, I have just changed my dosage again.  I must be ultra-sensitive to sinemet (perhaps like your mother?), because at four 25/100 mg. pills per day, I started getting the precursor to dyskinesia -- something entirely new for me.  When standing, I developed a tendency to sway back and forth.  I could stop it at will, but then unconsciously, I'd begin again before long.  So I am back to three pills a day and rarely have the swaying urge now.  My gait and balance are still okay, and I try to remember good posture, though I often catch myself slouching.

How is your mom doing?  Is she in a stable period?

J

I am hunting for a reason for the swaying. Someone said it’s akathesia. But you’re saying it’s a precursor to dyskinesia. Did your doctor tell you that? 

Yes, I think his phrase was "the beginning of dyskinesia" or "the first sign of dyskinesia."  I notice it most when I'm due for the next dose of sinemet.  That may seem odd:  the side effect is more pronounced when the drug is waning in my body. 

J

>> I notice it most when I'm due for the next dose 

me too. I read somewhere that dysk. may appear in the middle or at the end of the "levadopa cycle"

seems strange for me too 

I discussed the experience of dyskinesia at the peak of the carb/levo dose as well as when a dose is wearing off. He called it biphasic dyskinesia. I had it until I began using Duopa gel and stopped oral carb/levo.

I have recently noticed tremors in my feet and ankles. It affects my balance even though I always use my walker. Very sturdy shoes help.

Dianne