helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
PatriotM

Rock Steady Boxing = ZERO Progression

25 posts in this topic

Here is an excellent video posted by Texas Tom.  In this "60 Minutes" show, we see PWP that have actually gotten better with exercise, in this case Rock Steady Boxing.  In fact, a researcher who conducted a study of PD patients that participated in Rock Steady Boxing found that they had NO PROGRESSION over a 2 year period.  In fact, some of the participants were better at the end of the study than when they had been diagnosed.  One guy was better than when he was diagnosed 15 years earlier!!!

This is a must see video for anyone diagnosed with PD.   Put forth an effort and get better, or go the traditional route and slowly decline.

This result is not limited to Rock Steady Boxing.  The Delay the Disease program has had similar results. 

https://youtu.be/EfDHGbuvqiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDHGbuvqiw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by PatriotM

Stiff, sore, and loving it.

First off, I somehow managed to show coach I had the highest potential for exercise. So keep in mind I am in the most athletic group. I think there are four levels (maybe six?) so they arrange classes based on your ability, and do evaluations every six months. 

In my 20's and 30's I was an avid cyclist. Loved 100 mile bike rides. Hills coming up, good way to work up a sweat.  Weekend camping trip, load the paniers, sleeping back and I'll be there! :)  So New Zealand and Ireland were four week long cycling trips with 50# of gear.  I could hike, but was always the worlds worst klutz. Cross Country skiing was a blast, but slow and steady for me. Things did settle down, but my kids have always been amazed how much muscle my legs have. Not much for upper body strength, but working on core exercises to help my back.  Never had PE as a kid (ahem, medical waivers due to health).

Saturday workout was a good sweaty hour. I did fine, in the middle of some foot exercises I get the dreaded brain freeze. If I am working on hand movement, and to keep my feet moving... it seems like one or the other. Foot work isn't coming naturaly to me, but with this class any and all effort is encouraged.

Wednesday I over did it, lower back was stiff and sore. I have done lumbar damage in the past, so I am aware to keep my back straight, and avoid sit ups, but lay back flat on the floor and do legs lifts as an alternative. Saturday rolled around, and really didn't want to go to class. Thankfully there is a good group to encourage me, and if I bailed I feel like I am letting them down.

Sore back, but we focused on a lot of leg ham string/quad work.  Oh my what work out.  Oddest part was we do a lot of pre and post stretching. My back isn't bothering me today! Legs and arms are sore!  I do "knee" planks, and we modify a lot of my exercise routines.... but I am feeling good! Admitted yesterday OSU Cowboys and 'Bama both won, so all is good.

If you do not have a rock steady boxing, join a gym and get a personal trainer.  If out of the budget, find out if there is a local "workout group".   A local church offers just that for $5/class drop in. 

JUST DO IT!

I would give anything to have the Rock Solid Boxing in my area. Geez it's no where in Canada...I watched the video and I'm in awe of how this program works for PWP...

Does any one know how I can bring this program to Canada?

Good for you all who are doing the Boxing..I'm jealous..

D

Edited by Discovery

Texas Tom, where in Texas do you live? I'm in Arlington and have been having a tough time finding anything Parkinson's friendly. I went to a yoga class yesterday to try that out, it was okay but my arms and legs were shaking pretty bad with some of the positions. I thought I found a boxing class for us but no one has ever returned my calls and it looked closed when I went by. It's been a little discouraged... guess I'll just stick to the walking.

I'm just north of Austin. 

I know Power for Parkinson's powerforparkinsons.org  is trying to branch out to Dallas Area.

I know http://www.punchingoutparkinsons.org/ is in Fort Worth.    At the bottom of that page is their contact.   One thing to keep in mind is often there are only classes a few times a week.  We are using a space in Austin that is a MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) during their off hours. Hence for the time being classes are middle of the day.   Coach want's to find a space she can also offer evening classes for YOPD to join in.

If at all possible, find a local gym and a Personal Trainer to meet with.  Around the corner from me is Anytime Fitness ($50 a month) and I was thinking of meeting a Personal Trainer with one other person to split their $60/hour fee.   Held off on doing that.  

Rock Steady Boxing is $80/month. But that will be three 90 minute classes a week, and you are allowed to have a "cornerman" attend with your (spouse/caregiver/friend) as they can join in.  For now we have a no frills gym to work out in, but the working out is great.   I'm the first to admit that keeping motivated is hard. 

I can't stress enough how important I believe exercise to be in helping with dealing with Parkinson's. I was diagnosed almost a year ago and began exercising right away--30 to 45 minutes, four times a week of weight lifting, yoga, strength training, aerobic, and balance exercises. I also walk as much as possible. I just had my one-year check-up with my neurologist. He put me through his usual tests: walking on my toes, walking on my heels, walking heel to toe, running up and down stairs, etc. and told me my range of motion and flexibility had actually IMPROVED from a year ago. (Unfortunately, my hand tremors are getting worse.)

I know many PWP can't do as much as I do, but if you can do any kind of exercise at all, please do it.

2 people like this

We're privileged to have a great Parkinsons exercise program at the Michigan Athletic Club. They are adding a boxing class next month, Can't wait to give it a try!!

Well PatriotM I finally found a gym to introduce a program called "Fighting Back Punching Out Parkinson's"

Thanks to your dedication to the Rock Steady Boxing it has been a quest of mine to find a program similar or find a gym to start a similar class...

Hurray it starts next Wednesday and I am thrilled!!!

The class is taught by a boxing coach.

It's focused on building power, strength, flexibility and speed, the program empowers those fighting the disease, as well as anyone with limitations to exercise.

It involves slamming battle ropes, pushing sleds loaded with weights, throwing punches, working on foot work while tossing a medicine ball and working on mobility drills.

Can't wait!!!

Thank you PatriotM for bringing this topic forward.

Cheers

D

Linda...

Of course I will...anything for you!!

PatriotM...

It's very exciting...I love exercise so this is one more program to mix things up...

So my circuit now involves 10k power/jog walk, yoga, Whole Body Vibration Machine and now Boxing...good body coverage..

Thanks again....

D

It is the sixth month anniversary of Rock Steady Boxing in Austin.   Seems much longer, but what a blast this has been.

One thing I love about out coach is "little things".  I need a constant reminder of "toes forward" to prevent injuries as we do squats. We have four levels of classes depending on ability.  Helps in having everyone on the same level and to push a little harder on workouts.

Working up a sweat it good, better is when I need my towel to keep wiping off my sweat!   After Monday's workout, I'll admit yesterday I was still a bit sore, but felt great to stretch and keep moving! 

My  husband has just started a research study on boxing for people with a PD. He goes twice a week for a session with his own boxing trainer! 

That's fantastic Golden01.... It's a wonderful way to Punch Parkinson's right in the smaker!!!

D

You are right! He has his own gloves and I got him a punching bag for his birthday (still need to get it hung up thought, our neighbor will help). 

I would give anything to have the Rock Solid Boxing in my area. Geez it's no where in Canada...I watched the video and I'm in awe of how this program works for PWP...

Does any one know how I can bring this program to Canada?

Good for you all who are doing the Boxing..I'm jealous

Find your local boxing gym, or kickboxing "center" and see if they're interested in getting training and starting classes.  If nothing else, it would diversify their customer base.

I would love to do it once my shoulder gets stronger- I'm in the tail end or rehabbing it for bursitis and tendinitis of the rotator cuff and shoulder blade.

Hi Waywrd1

If you read post #14 you can see I took your advise and PatriotM and was successful...

Hope you too have such luck!!!

It's awesome....love it!!!

D

PWR! Retreat Week 2 still has some spots available. Great way to up the exercise. All PD specific and you will work really-really hard. Has been life-changing for me and my husband. My sister and her husband are going again this year too. 

http://www.pwr4life.org/pwr-retreat/