helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Rdemantis

Non motor manifestations

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am working on my intro post for the other forum, but I figure I could go ahead and post a question in the meantime.

I was curious as to if anyone here had no non motor symptoms at diagnosis? If so when did they appear. By non motor I mean constipation, sense of smell etc.

I have no signs of deficit at this time. I have a strong sense of smell, use the bathroom at least once a day, no blood pressure issues etc. Just rigidity.

Anyone else?

RD

I believe that sleep problems were the first of my manifestations, followed by back problems which could never seem to get diagnosed (dr's couldn't figure out why my back hurt and was stiff)

1 person likes this

I had many more non-motor symptoms at diagnosis - fatigue, cramps, soft voice, constipation, sweating, etc.....

Welcome Rdemantis,

I had only constipation for non motor sx, my sense of smell was normal, still is at 20 years.

My husband had constipation probably for 15+ years before diagnosis and choking on liquids for 10+ years or so before he was diagnosed in 2005.

My DH has problems with constipation, problems with swallowing, and the latest is weird dreams, and at times difficult in sleep. Also will complain about different areas hurting in the night and waking him up. Has many more symptoms such as speech, not able to write etc etc.

I had noticed a drastic change in my ability to smell things and when I did smell something it was not accurate.  This happened about ten years before diagnosis.   I went through some tests to fine=d out if I had a sinus infection and they could never find out what the problem was.  So my first symptom was loss of smell.

Recently, I am experiencing trouble eating without coughing.  I often swallow  in a way that causes a series of coughing episodes.  I have learned this summer at a seminar on Parkinson's disease, that it is because the muscles in the back of the trought are stiffening.

They told us to use straws to help the swallowing process and to avoid ltilting you head back whenn you drink, like you do when you drink out of a water bottle.

I have a good strong voice but do have swallowing issues sometimes. Sleep has been a problem for me for years. Back pain, jumping twitching ect.

Also very vivid dreams. Handwriting is shot and speech issues come and go depending on the day I'm having. ;) 

Hi RD, I was formally diagnosed with PD about 2 years.  I too did and still do have a keen sense of smell, and had never had constipation issues my whole life.  My PD has progressed with increased muscle rigidity and muscle/joint pain.  Have had increase in Sinement and have responded very well.  BUT with the progression of PD (and I believe the meds) my GI system has been affected.  I have chronic constipation...which is a pain in the b--t, and decreased appetite. My diet has changed to mostly fresh veggies, seafood, small servings....I've become a grazer..Still have my sense of smell, and most days my sense of humour.  I'm an RN, have had trial and error with my own GI issues (after years of treating patients with same)...If I can give any advice let me know...CG

RD,  Welcome to our little corner on the web.

You'll soon learn everyone with PD is different.   Quite a few with only movement issues.   Like a snow flake, everyone pretty much varies.

Within variation you'll find maybe one third how constipation issues.

Cowgirl... Colace and Senekot are in my 'goto' kit.   It's almost funny to not my scale as it seems like I am gaining a pound a day.... darn it, suddenly eat hot jalapena peppers and get things moving.... down 5# a day later. :)

Love Mex food.....and it's Chili Season, weather getting cold and snowy.....Senekot S is amazing..  I have also noted very vivid dreams since starting on PD meds..I have found that when my sinement dose increased or I'm not getting "off time" my vivid dreams became very calming although still vivid, I fly (under my own power), ride fast horses, all great calming feelings.  When I get low or off times, my vivid dreams become frantic and I feel in dangerous situations.  I found taking my medication every 6 hrs/24 helps me stay level, rather than all doses during waking hours.....CG

Edited by cowgirl