helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
jsaltsgaver

Rytary and Food

Hi Mark,

Can you tell us your experience with Rytary and food?  Even if my husband waits 1 1/2 hours after taking Rytary to eat, shortly after the food hits his stomach, the Rytary stops working. We experience the same thing even 2 hours after lunch and 3 or 4 hours before dinner.  Do you think this will change over time?  If we open the capsules or take it with orange juice, do you think we would have better success?  Do you take immediate release with Rytary?  Can you give us your successful dosing schedule?

Is Rytary the only medication he takes?

If you could tell me ALL of his medications he takes (both prescribed and over-the-counter) and what times he takes them, I could really narrow down a medication regime to help you both.

Thank you.

He takes his morning Rytary about 6-6:30.  About 1/2 hour later he takes Israpidine and a baby aspirin.  He eats breakfast between 7:30-8.  Next Rytary is about 11 or a little before.  Lunch is after noon.  Rytary at 3:30.  Wine and snack at 5.  Dinner at 6-6:30.  Quetiapine at 7:30. Brilinta at 9. Clonidine, Lipitor 1 ER 25/100 at 9:30-10pm.  He experiences short periods after he eats every snack or meal where the Rytary seems to be less effective for 15-30 minutes.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I asked you about your regimen a while back too but at the time you were not taking Rytary so I wondered if you would share what you take now on a daily basis and how often. You are always an inspiration.  Thank you.

There are no drug interactions that I can see that would cause this. All of your meds are spaced apart perfectly, so I looked at the time it happens and the closest Rytary dose.

The thing that I may look into, and check with the Dr about, is changing the Rytary at 3:30pm to about 4:00pm. This change may cover that 15-30 minute window after the snack.

As far as me going off Rytary was because I could not regulate a good schedule after 3 months.

I went back to Sinemet CR 50/200 three times a day. The medication I was on before starting Rytary.

I also supplement with Sinemet regular release 25/100 first thing in the morning and about 1 hour before taking the Sinemet CR.

I am back to a good effective schedule, but at least I gave it a try.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I just could not manage to get the exact dosage at the right time, which was giving me the symptoms of too much Sinemet.

So I went back to what worked for me.

That's not to say I may not try it again, but I am very comfortable with going back to the Sinemet CR for now.

Thanks for asking.

This is the thing that was too confusing for me about Rytary.  There are too many different dosages and variations of how many you should take per dose and of which formula.  It was just too complicated for me.

hi, might have asked this before but what brand/strength of CR do you use?  i use MYLAN but at times very unpredictable when it will kick in and at times doesn't.  glad you got alternating those 2drugs to work.

It was truly trial and error in conjunction with my great physician and friend. I have been with my Dr 2003 and my keeping a journal helped both of us come up with short and long term plans.

We agreed on what the first med regime would be, if that did not work we already had a backup plan. If that backup plan did not work we had a third plan. It was charted in my file and all I had to do was call and let him know and we would taper off of that med, if needed, and start a new one.

It is very important to go to the Dr with a list of concerns, or a journal, so the Dr is aware of the whole scope of what is going on and treat accordingly.

Hope this helps

• Like 1