helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
MusicMan

Surgery and PD

I have noticed, with a bit of alarm, the number of people here with faster progression PD symptoms who have also had fairly recent surgeries. Does anyone here also think that it may be more than just coincidence? That perhaps there is maybe something in anesthesia, or whatever, that triggers reaction in the part of the brain affected by PD? I wonder if there are studies looking at this?

Not so much PD related, but "surgery fog" is common.   Typically one month for every hour in surgery, it just seems to take a while for that fog to lift.   Thursday for me will be the longest surgery to date, about 5 hours.   The double whammy will be to get my PD medication asap after surgery to keep on track.

My wife had nine surgeries, three to five hours each, when they redid her colon.  Ileostomy, loop-ileostomy, colostomy. We joking said she needed to have  surgical zipper installed.  Last time was to implant a screen to do hernias coming through.  So it seemed like five years for her to recover back to previous levels, but she is ten years older from that first surgery.  

For me it would be tempting to say "meh, lets skip the surgery".  Then again I'm lucky in having spotted lung cancer early.   

I had gallbladder surgery over 6 months ago and the recovery from the anesthesia was difficult. I had not been diagnosed for PD at this point but based on my  symptoms I believe I had PD prior to surgery. The surgery and the anesthesia really took a lot out of me. It took months for me to finally fully recover. My arm tremors didn't start until after surgery but I don't believe my PD has worsened all that much since then. I think the surgery actually helped my overall health thereby hopefully helping my PD. Just don't know.

I had hip replacement surgery 7 years ago. After this the symptoms started to show. Can be coincidence but I experienced this surgery as a big thing.I know a lady with PD whos shure her knee replacement triggered the disease. She litterly waked up with a tremor.

MM - I have often wondered this myself.  I had major surgery in 2005 (put on breathing machine during the procedure) - noticed movement symptoms about 3 years later.  I did have some fatigue, constipation and neck stiffness prior to the surgery so I don't think the surgery caused the PD, but I often wonder if it would have remained "dormant" longer had I not had the surgery. 

My husband has had two surgeries since he was diagnosed in 2007.  After each surgery, his tremors were noticeably worse immediately.  I have no idea whether it is the anesthesia or the stress of the surgery, but something definitely occurred both times.

Hi everyone!

I have considered this very subject for years.  Unfortunately my first major surgery was when I was 24.  I have since had 7 more surgeries where I was under anesthesia for a minimum of 2.5 hours and up to 5+ hours. Did these early surgeries help trigger my YOPD?  I may never know.  Three years ago I had three surgeries in an 15 month period, a very complicated back fusion, Tommy John surgery and a 3 level cervical fusion.  After these surgeries and the months it took to "heal" my PD symptoms  accelerated enough that on the 28th I am having DBS on the right side. 

So I wonder is my issue familiar, as I have a maternal uncle that passed from L/Body last July, another maternal uncle and my sister DX with PD too. 

All I know is that when I have surgery my PD seems to go nuts, healing is very, very slow and controlling the pain is beyond difficult.  Those of you who have had DBS notice a difference with the PD symptoms and surgery?  I am curious how my body will react to the DBS surgery....  I am already pushing my body hard to prepare for the "possibilities" of a slow healing time; like cleaning, cooking etc.

Texas Tom my thoughts will be with you.  I hope you can feel our support and encouragement!   Life is never easy is it?

Have a great night!  I am going to try and not freeze tonight...

Thanks, Don't Ya Know!

Take a look at NPF's Aware in Care site! There's definitely a connection with surgery, GA, &  worsening symptoms. No coincidence.  http://www.awareincare.org/

As I've seen Dr. Okun and others say, that while the surgeries don't directly cause our PD, they do put our systems under a lot of stress. That stress then is what is the final straw in pushing the PD to the forefront.. So in other words, the PD id already there, and the stress of surgery pushes it out to where we finally take notice. of issues we've been having for some time. 

As I've seen Dr. Okun and others say, that while the surgeries don't directly cause our PD, they do put our systems under a lot of stress. That stress then is what is the final straw in pushing the PD to the forefront.. So in other words, the PD id already there, and the stress of surgery pushes it out to where we finally take notice. of issues we've been having for some time. 

Wait....isn't DBS "surgery"??? Seems a tad ironic.

Prior to the PD Dx I only had been under general once, and that was for getting my wisdom teeth out at 16.  I don't recall recovery from that being anything especially difficult other than the bleeding from my mouth going on for quite a while.

I had to have surgery for a hernia back in October.  That recovery was a lot tougher than I expected, but I'm not sure it wasn't within the range of being essentially normal.  Surgery was on a Thursday, and I went to church that Sunday, and was back at work (and school) that Tuesday.  In retrospect I should have not gone to church that weekend, and I should have stayed home from work for at least another 2 days.  But I'm a stubborn SOB, and had in mind to do those things.  Plus I was out of sick leave and figured I'd rather be miserable at work than burning a vacation day or two being miserable at home.

I started my Azilect trial a little over a week after the surgery.  My mental "fog"/confusion got much worse after starting Azilect, but got better after I stopped taking it 3.5 weeks later.  How much of that was due to the lingering anesthesia effects, and how much was due to Azilect I can't say for sure, but since it got noticeably worse after starting Azilect, and noticeably better within several days of stopping, I'd say that was probably the majority of the problem.

Take a look at NPF's Aware in Care site! There's definitely a connection with surgery, GA, &  worsening symptoms. No coincidence.  http://www.awareincare.org/

For those that don't have the kit I would HIGHLY recommend you just go ahead an order one now.  I ordered one as soon as I knew I was going to have the hernia surgery (mid/late September).  I figured that the 3 weeks or so lead time should have been plenty to get it before I went to the hurtspital.  Nope.  Didn't get the kit until I think early December.  After Thanksgiving anyway.  So somewhere in the 8-10 week range to receive it.

I don't recall if there was an approximate lead time posted, but I don't think there was.  Anyway, point being, if you don't have it, order it now before you think you're going to need it as if you wait it will probably arrive long after you're out of the hurtspital anyway. 

• Like 1

Surgery went fine.   Thoracic surgeon was fantastic, and had me up and walking immediately after surgery in recovery.  RN was waiting with my meds (!!!!) to help me get up and get moving.  I got up every two hours all night, walking one end of the hall to the other. Movement helps. 

Davanci XI robotic surgery. Small little incisions.  Doc was planning on removing the lower left lobe... but my lung structure was something he had never seen before with the partitions and blood flow, so rather than remove the full lobe (today's protocol) called in pathology to remove just the cancer area in a section.  So even my lungs are unique In my case the lower lobe was  a simple area, but more like multi bronchi -- shared with the upper portion and blood supply.   Something he had never seen nor heard off (but probably gets to write a cool technical paper about for a journal).  Still more to come.

Recovering nicely, pass gas.... bloated stomach and need to poop! (My friends on this forum will understand, but that is TMI for non-Parkies).   This will be a never ending story, but for this chapter all went well.

Nursing was fantastic, we had on the board: MEDS ON TIME EVERY TIME.   5A 10A 4P 10P -- This morning, right on schedule was my 5AM medicine... but the Pharmacy had coded it as to give it to me at 9A.  Nurse realized that was wrong, and I was stiff and needed them to get moving. Not who she called, but at 5:05A I had my meds. :) 

Between intense exercise (Rock Steady Boxing) and a fantastic surgeon with the Davanci XI robot...  Excellent results.  Life is good!

• Like 1

So now you'll get your own write-up and will be a very unique patient and a star, Tom!  :-)  It is wonderful to hear it all went so well.  You sound in good spirits, and that makes us feel good for you.

• Like 1

We all can fight the good fight.  Parkinson's, Cancer, Who knows what is next.... never give up.   Keep fighting.

My Parkie friends all give me more strength than you ever realize. Thank You.  Tom

Edited by TexasTom

I just got home from rehab after anterior hip replacement after a fall, shattering the top of my femur. Was in bed, immobilized from the time i fell on christmas until dec 28th with a transfer to Mass General from a local hospital. I do feel already that it is tough to recover from this surgery. Legs stiff and very painful to walk on right (surgical) leg. Hard to say impact of PD on surgery. Balance, stillness, slowness all in the mix.

Want to connect with anyone else who has hip replacement with PD. 

This is my first day back home.

I wrote a lot during my stay about the impact of having pd in a rehab hospital setting.  I'll share more on another future post.

I also had hysterectomy in April and did well with that...

-Cindy

• Like 1