helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
New normal

This works for me...what works for you?

New normal    1,268

I wear ankle and wrist weights to strengthen muscles. i feel much stronger and think it helps my balance as well. Start gradually...I first went nearly all day...and paid the price...but a few hours a time works well.

Also, I include weights while stretching, laying them on key places and allowing gravity to stretch the tightness. Or holding 3-5 lb weights and hanging my arm over a chair or at bedside. If I stop stretching routines, my shoulders freeze up. My posture has significantly improved from daily stretching. I am not a doctor or PT....this works for me.

NN

• Like 1

wheelersce    15

I started playing the bowed psaltery.

And I'm taking advantage of the exercise program for Parkinson clients that is offered at the Michigan Athletic Club. 3xs a week. One session a week is boxing. And, oh yes, I try to walk briskly 30-40 minutes about 4x a week. In the mall when it's winter, the park or the neighborhood when the weather is better. I'm coming up on my 10th anniversary of diagnosis.

sw

Edited by wheelersce
  • Like 4

PatriotM    784

Patriot

What kind of things was David zid talking about that are just bad habits.

Freezing, lack of arm swing, facial masking, shuffling, poor posture, etc. All can be replaced with good habits.

New normal    1,268

I enjoy the posts....the operative word is "habit. Developing movement routines and healthy habits is good for everyone.

I have to add....with all due respect...that according to researchers.....some PD symptoms may occur regardless of exercise....we CAN say body movement...from isometric muscle tightening in a wheeled chair to aerobic daily work outs ...ALL and ANY body movement will strengthen us...perhaps delaying symptoms...and absolutely increasing quality of life....for anyone.

My comment is not to turn the thread into a conversation about the value of exercise...we understand that....but we should be sensitive to PWP in advanced stages who must select their "movement of choice." for their circumstances. Kudos to everyone who strives for positive goals.

Uhhhh, back on topic....what works for me: coconut oil in capsule form for cognitive, B4 vitamins for calmness, and valerian root/melatonin for sleep. <smile>

And what works for you ????

• Like 1

SherryKnuth    7

I have found Active Release Therapy helps my foot from cramping.  It has improved my gait as well.    A soft tissue chiropractor specializes in this therapy.   A. R. T.   helps reduce scar tissue,etc.

• Like 1

Rogerstar1    385

Immediately upon waking each morning I find that first popping half a 25/100 Sinemet pill and struggling to make it to a hot shower where my  shower seat and a pulsating shower head  await me loosens me up considerably and  reduces dystonia aches and pains also.  I highly recommend this.

• Like 4

New normal    1,268

Hey, Roger..good to hear from you!

I have a water exercise pool...when the "chaos" happens under my skin...and nothing works...jacuzzi...It calms the nerves.nerves.

Melatonin ...I take one tablet 10 mg with 2 Valerian root. Helps a lot...and I have atypical sleep apnea.

Noah:

Valerian Root..I have taken for years. I just learned this today: I felt anger...for no reason. Rather than go for a rx pill..I took 2 Valerian 450 mg each......I felt the anger go away about 45 minutes later.

Valerian and melatonin have been discussed before. Melatonin needs to be used carefully...start slowly and see what works best. Most medical doctors do not discuss alternative medicine. Google the topic and/or ask a health professional

Valerian root has been used for centuries as a calming agent. I have not heard negative things about it. It sure helps me.

And...what works for you???

MurrayPD2    217

Anyone have a lot of pain in the toes/foot?  If so, what works for you?  I have to massage my toes on the joints; which are painful to the touch, but it eventually helps.

Rogerstar1    385

Murray - Can you describe the pain you are experiencing more ?  Is it a prickly sensation and skin deep; or radiating from a joint; when weight is applied, only; or in soft tissue like tendons, sinews  and muscles that permit you to somewhat flex it, albeit uncomfortably?

Does the pain subside when L-dopa is administered?  Does the pain present worse following strenuous usage of the appendage?

Edited by Rogerstar1

New normal    1,268

Murray..Roger has some good questions to specifically identify the source of your pain.

Foot pain? Yes...sharp pains when I arise...prickly needle type pain during the day. PWP with dyskinesia can have their toes turn backwards or their feet go sideways...I cannot imagine such pain.

I have not figured out the source of my pain...Roger may have some answers for you. He has had PD a long time and is knowledgable.

What works for me...is hot water...again.....a hot shower as suggested...or direct water. Also, as an after thought, check your diet ...high acids...coffee, juices, etc can raise the uric acid level and cause pain. Good luck.

Others? What works for you??

johnnys    460

Hey, Roger..good to hear from you!

I have a water exercise pool...when the "chaos" happens under my skin...and nothing works...jacuzzi...It calms the nerves.nerves.

Melatonin ...I take one tablet 10 mg with 2 Valerian root. Helps a lot...and I have atypical sleep apnea.

Noah:

Valerian Root..I have taken for years. I just learned this today: I felt anger...for no reason. Rather than go for a rx pill..I took 2 Valerian 450 mg each......I felt the anger go away about 45 minutes later.

Valerian and melatonin have been discussed before. Melatonin needs to be used carefully...start slowly and see what works best. Most medical doctors do not discuss alternative medicine. Google the topic and/or ask a health professional

Valerian root has been used for centuries as a calming agent. I have not heard negative things about it. It sure helps me.

And...what works for you???

Hi NN,

When I wake up during the night chaos is usally there,sleep apnea,lol

What I do is realize theanger,doubt,fear,is not to trusted.Just another way our brain communicates to us we are in distress.Intellect always in control over emotion.

I always remember DR.Low saying the symptom is distressing but not dangerous.a harmless manifestation of a nervous imbalance

.Even with our PD roadblocks we can find a detour to arrive at our destination,peace

:-P  :-P  :-P

So sometimes I take a C/l and other times i wait awhile and go back to sleep

• Like 1

MurrayPD2    217

I have two areas of problems- I think.  Sometimes the big toe can have random very sharp pains.  the smaller toes, mainly in the middle, have sharp pain.  I think L-Dopa does help, but it gets less effective during the day.  I also take Diclofenac for my back.  My outer top foot gets very crampy and my ankle can get stiff.  My foot wants to point down at night while lying down and it will stiffen up in the ankle and toes, but walking helps most of it work out some of the stiffness.  I occasionally get annoying spasms on the same foot, but L-Dopa will definitely help that.

Before treatment, this foot would have major tremors when trying to straighten the leg or have sheets pushing against it.  I had foot drop for years before that.  In the last couple of years,  I would get stopped by my toes curling under, I would be stranded and force myself to walk a little further.  I noticed when I was straining for good balance, the same toes would try to flatten against the floor.  I just worry that I have caused to much stress on that foot and there may be some damage.

Rogerstar1    385

Sounds like dystonia borne of PD....been there done that; you have my sympathies.  Want immediate relief for a few months?  (4 to 6)  Have an orthopedist administer botox by injection.  It worked for me. I literally limped into the exam room and 15 minutes later strode out.

Edited by Rogerstar1
  • Like 4

graflexmaster    1,174

I agree with Roger....but before you ask for the Botox, youmight try something my MDS suggested..... Take some magnesium...........it helped me for a long time...

• Like 1

papa57    59

Not exactly a trick of the trade. What works best for me personally is vigorous cardio workouts at the gym. Was distance running until PD showed up. 

Currently I'm really grateful for the elliptical machines. If my leg or foot are affected by dystonia I can work through it a little longer.

Taking Sinemet an hour prior to exercise keeps dystonia away. Have actually been able to jog a little……and trying to increase distance over time.

Rogerstar1    385

Putting on socks is easier if you use  the low cut styles favored by tennis players.   I find  pulling them on while seated on the staircase to be easiest.

• Like 2

MurrayPD2    217

Putting on socks is easier if you use  the low cut styles favored by tennis players.   I find  pulling them on while seated on the staircase to be easiest.

good point.  I hate fighting my foot.

New normal    1,268

My FAVORITE thing that works for me: Chuck Norris! <smile> The "total gym"....like on TV.....it is great for "compromised" people...ones who are not conditioned and need to start over...or the very "buff".who want to strengthen and lengthen.

I have had one for nearly ten years...absolutely worth the money...it has worked for us for several recoups from surgery...many diets and life style changes. It allows you to adjust to your own capacity....gentle on the body...but definitely works!

Right now, I am putting sand weights on my abdomen and my armpits while I do knee bends on the slide to help with muscle,spasms. The entire work out that they suggest is done in 20 minutes. However, I use the machine for my needs. The only problem is they don't supply discipline or motivation .

For more info, Google "Total Gym " by Chuck Norris..

And...what works for,you???

(I love this site...I am learning a lot!)

• Like 1

New normal    1,268

Hey, NN, here's a Chuck Norris joke for you (from my 15 year old son):

Chuck Norris once round-house kicked a horse in the jaw; it's descendants are known as giraffes.

Lol...THAT is funny....