helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
New normal

This works for me...what works for you?

66 posts in this topic

Hi folks...RE : dermatitis

I recently posted a link re: psoriasis type dermatitis that frequently occurs with PD. Neuro said it is very common, suggested I see a dermatologist and specifically be checked for skin cancer.

As expected, the derm dr said I had dermatitis. I always smile within when I receive a dx like that...hmmmm ...in dr language that means inflammation of the skin. Yep, I agreed. I questioned him about the relationship of dermatitis and PD...and based on the link, I specifically asked him about research that skin changes can occur before PD dx...and may be used as a predictor of PD.

He said there is no specific relationship between skin changes and PD and prescribed cortisone cream.

HOWEVER, WHAT WORKS FOR ME:

I prefer natural remedies. I applied olive oil (extra virgin) to affected areas gently rubbing the area in circles with my finger tips. It removed flaky skin and by morning the redness was gone! So I figure it is a done deal. The areas on face re appear. I use the olive oil and it is remedied.

I have to say...I take a long time. If we sit for a movie...I might reapply the oil and gently rub the area for an hour. Now I have learned that if I end with a course wash rag gently rubbing off the oil in circular motions... it serves as an exfoliator leaving skin very soft. Skin is just as,soft as having a spa facial.

I hope this helps someone. I am not a doctor or medical professional.

It works for me....what works for you?

Many of us have restless leg syndrome.. For years, I have had restless body syndrome. Usually when I go to sleep an energy starts building...hard to describe...but the energy builds in leg muscles and sacrum area...builds until it drives me crazy. I have to move to get relief.

What works for me is a yoga rolling tube...looks like a truck tire material about 4" round and 20" long. I put it under sacrum and rock the pelvis across it...the knobby surface feels like pressure points of deep medical massage or kinesiology. Works great for sciatic nerve spasm.

It works for me...what works for you?

Here I go again....a new way for stretching that works for me.

Ooops, I have not been doing exercise routine. And I have the consequences. However, I still stretch...every chance I can. I use an exercise ball ....laying on floor or bed...with legs resting on the ball. While I read, watch tv, etc...I work the ball stretching legs or mid drift.

If I quit...rigidity returns next day...

Just sayin'...works for me...what works for you?

Hi folks...RE : dermatitis

I recently posted a link re: psoriasis type dermatitis that frequently occurs with PD. Neuro said it is very common, suggested I see a dermatologist and specifically be checked for skin cancer.

As expected, the derm dr said I had dermatitis. I always smile within when I receive a dx like that...hmmmm ...in dr language that means inflammation of the skin. Yep, I agreed. I questioned him about the relationship of dermatitis and PD...and based on the link, I specifically asked him about research that skin changes can occur before PD dx...and may be used as a predictor of PD.

It works for me....what works for you?

I saw a dermatologist and she said that these skin problems occur in most PD patients.  She said that she could write a prescription, but suggested that instead of a prescription to simply wash my face with dandruff shampoo.  That's what I do.  I simply replaced the normal shampoo in the shower with dandruff shampoo and use it to wash my face.

3 people like this

Patriot

Thanks for the tip have been doing since you posted washing face with dandruff shampoo and works great

Thanks again Bard

1 person likes this

I stole this tip too! I have to shower hubby and after shampooing I give the face and neck a good wash. Saves me time. When he gets cold in the shower his tremors are really bad, even tho it feels like a sauna in there. Any small thing to get him in and out quicker is a winner in my book!

1 person likes this

Patriot

Thanks for the tip have been doing since you posted washing face with dandruff shampoo and works great

Thanks again Bard

Funny cuz I'm lazy and have been doing head & shoulders for face in the shower for years.

I have recently discovered beard balm. It does a great job to stop the beard dander.

Oddly, I can still play the banjo at local jams. Some nights things don't work so good, but most of the time it is like the old days. I play Old Time Mountain music for the most part, but I'll play anything anyone at a jam wants to play. If I'm having a bad night, I just play real quietly so as to not mess up the group. Everyone knows of my limitations, and they don't care, at least not yet.

I do the PWR4life program and take dance lessons with my husband.  My MDS says your mindset and attitude are important in your PD fight.   

People who have a positive outlook and hope do better. Find what makes you feel good and stick to it!

2 people like this

On 3/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, BillBRNC said:

Oddly, I can still play the banjo at local jams. Some nights things don't work so good, but most of the time it is like the old days. I play Old Time Mountain music for the most part, but I'll play anything anyone at a jam wants to play. If I'm having a bad night, I just play real quietly so as to not mess up the group. Everyone knows of my limitations, and they don't care, at least not yet.

Bill, is it rigidity, stiffness, or tremors that bother your playing the most? For me, my fingers and hands are getting stiffer.

glad to help...next time you do it...close your eyes or say girls names of each letter of the alphabet....build those neuro pathways!

This is a great exercise..,I do it every day

Edited by LAD
2 people like this

I started to get some dandruff flakes so I started using a dandruff shampoo.    The flaking actually got worse and the shampoo darkened the hair around my scalp and made it feel coated and look bad.  So, I put a couple drops of tea tree oil in my regular shampoo, put it on the crown of my head and left it there for about 10-15 minutes then washed my hair.  The dandruff is gone (it's been a month and still no flakes) and it also completely took off the build up on my hair from the dandruff shampoo. 

2 people like this

Tea tree oil is some amazing stuff.  It can help so many, many things.   I bought tea-tree mouthwash recently, though, and it was ghastly tasting.  Really, awful.