helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
mickigarden

DBS and respiratory issues

I had my DBS surgery done last June.  I have noticed that my breathing pattern has been altered in the last few months. I seem to be having rapid shallow breathing like panting even at rest.  It is not continuous but comes and goes. My MDS noticed it as well as the mammogram tech.  Have any of you who have had the surgery noticed this?  My MDS said there was no correlation to DBS and encouraged me to see my GP. Thanks! Micki

Hey Micki.... Nope not me... and yes, I also would suggest that you listen to your MDS, and get thee in to see your GP......hey, that last bit, kind of rhymed... cool...... :)

Edited by AB-Normal

I was having breathing issues prior to starting c/l. Pulmonary Dr. Said it was not c.o.p.d but consistent with neuromuscular deficits. Since starting c/l my breathing has improved dramatically. So perhaps pd can cause breathing problems.

I was having breathing issues prior to starting c/l. Pulmonary Dr. Said it was not c.o.p.d but consistent with neuromuscular deficits. Since starting c/l my breathing has improved dramatically. So perhaps pd can cause breathing problems.

Talk with your PCP.    Like gulfvet, my c/l does improve my breathing, especially during the night.

I did a couple of sleep studies that showed I was great for a few hours, but my breathing gets very erratic at night. So I use a

CPAP, which helps.

One of the interesting things about a CPAP is recording my breathing at night.

Normally your inhale and exhale breaths are even, air exchange (tidal flow) is nice and even.  It was interesting to not that my breathing changes during the night, as my Sinemet was less effective. So my Oxygen and C02 regulation is off, rather than a nice even flow of air, I go into shallow breathing, then deeper breathing, back to shallow.  The pauses are noted when I just stop breathing, then start back up. 

SkjSl6c.png

Thanks again to all of you who responded.  I was beginning to think I had lung cancer or CHF. It never dawned on me that it could be correlated with my c / l wearing off.  We have been playing with my dosage and interval as I responded so well to DBS and probably cut down my dosage significantly after surgery.  I was on 25/100mg. q 2 1/2 hrs. 7-8x per 24hrs. and went down to 1/2 pill q 4hrs. x4 per 24hrs.  Micki