helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maral77

Dehydration

19 posts in this topic

DH just got back home from four days in the hospital due to dehydration. So all of you caretakers be sure your PDP is drinking enough water. My DH hates water and bad on me I did not pay much attention to just how much he was drinking during the day. You can believe I will from now on. With the help of his Hospital Medical Team they suggested to try gatorade or propel as both are water and has all the vitamins etc needed but flavored. So far he has tried the Propel and this morning the gatorade and likes both. He will still be drinking regular water, but change off/on with the flavored. 

His Sinemet was also increased. So now it is fun for me keeping track of 1.5 tab, 1 tab, 1 tab first week, etc etc lol.

A physical therapist, OT, Speech therapist and Home care will be doing in home. They called last night and today I am to hear from them to set up the appointments.

Oh dear . . . that must have been a scare. I think with the swallowing problems, issues with urination, and more that comes with PD, dehydration can happen so easily. Good luck. The therapists coming to your house is great! Opportunity for a "tune-up", I guess. 

How little was he drinking?  I never know when it's enough.  My mom drinks about half a cup of water with her meds 3 times a day.  She drinks a cup of coffee in the morning with her breakfast of oatmeal which I cook with a cup of soy milk.   She drinks tea before lunch and then some juice when I get home from work and then some sips of water with her dinner.   I think she drinks more than me.

Well half a 8 ounce glass in the morning for his pills. Three cups of coffee in the morning, lunch very small glass of water that most of the time he didn't drink, a sip to take one pill in afternoon, a 8 ounce glass of water for dinner and again drank very little. A sip of water to take his last two pills at night. The hospital sent home a plastic marked container that I fill and it is 32 ounces. So I use a 8 ounce glass for him to drink from so to empty the container it is 4 glasses. Plus water natural in foods he eats. Plus inbetween the hospital recommended either gatorade or propel which has all the vitamins etc in and flavored. Propel has no sugar, gatorade does so I do not have him drink only a small amount of that. Some days he only drank when he had to take his pills. So over time it caught up with him.

Does this mean  he hardly pees?  Or that his urine is very dark colored if he's dehydrated?  What was it about the dehydration that made you take him to the hospital?  Did he faint?

Was extremely weak, thus fell twice and could not get back up. Was disoriented. Called 911 and the rest is history.

I heard coffee is very dehydrating so 3 cups can do some damage.   Glad you know the cause and can watch him more closely now.  I'm surprised he didn't ask for more liquids unless he didn't feel thirsty which could happen.  

No he pee just fine and the color was as it should have been. And I asked the Medical Team about coffee and they told me there is no known facts that coffee does anything making one dehydrated. Caffeine yes and was recommended he switched to decafe.

Any of the care givers are saints. It is very hard to say the least. Throw in your own life to manage I just don,t know how you do it. My wife and I took care of her dad after a stroke.  But it was just for a short time. Everyday something new comes up and many times they can,t tell you thier problem. Your dad is lucky he has you.

1 person likes this

I changed it to husband sorry.  Many times I think what to say. But by the time I push the keys the words I put down are not my first train of thaught. 

Any of the care givers are saints. It is very hard to say the least. Throw in your own life to manage I just don,t know how you do it. My wife and I took care of her dad after a stroke.  But it was just for a short time. Everyday something new comes up and many times they can,t tell you thier problem. Your dad is lucky he has you.

Where did you change it?   :-P   Don't worry about it.  I'm just giving you a hard time to make things light.   I always post something that was not my intent at the start.  It happens to the best of us. Welcome to the forum.  You are a wealth of knowledge.

Well things are rolling real good for DH. The RN came yesterday and got all the paper work etc on the way. This morning the Physical Therapist came and DH did really good. So now we have specific exercises that are meant to help Parkinson's and his problems. He even said he had fun, and next is the OT and Speech Therapist and Home Care. So things are alot brighter than they were afew days ago.

1 person likes this

Miracleseeker my knowledge is kinda objective to say the least. I sometimes read back what I have writen. And then realize what the heck how did that get that way. The nuns told my mom when I was a child that I should do things mechanical. Turns out they were correct. It was great training I stayed after school and had to clean the room. If you misbehaved in school that was thier way. My work area at the shop was the cleanest. But after I was done sweeping I always hide the broom cause I worried it would smack my behind. AHHHHH the good old days.

Maral, I'm really glad that your husband is doing better and that you'll have the home health staff coming in for a while.  It is a big reassurance to have the nurse come just to check vitals & know that he's doing ok.  Dehydration can come on fast. Dad was dehydrated before his last hospitalization & I had no idea; no changes in urine color, etc.  

Thanks for mentioning Propel.  Dad's wants something different to drink, besides juices all the time, doesn't do caffeine.  I just have water or green tea, so never think of those sports drinks.  I think I'll pick some up for him.

1 person likes this

Yes the propel comes in different flavors. So you can buy it by the little packets add two cups water and I keep it in fridge as he likes it cold. Gatorade which now I am surprised the Medical Staff recommended is loaded with sugar, does have all the necessary vitamins etc as propel does. But propel has absolutely no sugar and very little sodium and no calories. Good Luck.

Sometimes squirting lemon juice in water will make it taste better.  I think when you are thirsty you will drink most anything at that point but by then it's probably too late.  Thanks for the suggestions.

1 person likes this

Oh I tried that and he did not care for that. Bottom line he never has liked water... with lemon on not. So the Propel is doing real good. So if it works why try and fix. 

1 person likes this