helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
New normal

Pre PD Surgeries w/anesthesia ??

Hi folks:

After hours of discussion my DH and I have arrived at the one common trait between us that might be the reason we both have PD: both of us had 2 extensive surgeries within a 4 month time...and started PD symptoms within one year after.

We both have normal DaT scans.

This subject has been here before, but now I am REALLY curious.

Have any of you had extended surgeries prior to experiencing PD symptoms? Since we have an MDS who is a researcher, I would like to share with him any info regarding this possibie correlation.

Thanks.

NN

Anecdotally, I think there is a link.  But only for some people.  Look at it this way, 2 Midwestern boys with bikes on hot nights following the Mosquito Control fogger truck to cool themselves off in the fog -one comes down with PD, the other does not.  Agent orange -the same thing.  I do agree with the thinking that there in an environmental trigger,  but feel it has to be associated with a genetic code weakness that is so specific and random that prevention/what ifs/blame etc are fruitless.  DH with PD -no surgeries, me? quite a few.

• Like 1

My mom had her appendix removed and within 3-6 months I think  the tremors started.   My cousin was an Anesthesiologist and said it's quite possible that certain people already have the genes for PD and it takes something extreme such as an operation or stressful events in life to bring it out.  Not everyone will get it of course that is one theory.   The same cousin died of stage 4 lung cancer and he never smoked a day in his life while chain smokers live to be 100.    Some things can never be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I see both sides...agree with the posts. DH and I had 1 to 2 hour surgeries. We learned his second cousin had PD. So, Quietstill, you are on spot.

DH's cousin however was in a trial of brain meds during the service ...yep...in USA. So lend that into the variables.

DH and I grew up in toxic environments.

Back on topic...others who had anesthesia surgeries prior to symptoms?

My mom had her appendix removed and within 3-6 months I think  the tremors started.   My cousin was an Anesthesiologist and said it's quite possible that certain people already have the genes for PD and it takes something extreme such as an operation or stressful events in life to bring it out.  Not everyone will get it of course that is one theory.   The same cousin died of stage 4 lung cancer and he never smoked a day in his life while chain smokers live to be 100.    Some things can never be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Well said. We had extreme stress for many years and lack of sleep. First real noticeable symptom for me in downtown Seattle going to my follow up surgical appt. I kept walking sideways...like into the street...DH and I kept laughing cuz I looked so silly...vearing outside the crosswalks...only to walk back across to the intersection...like a drunken sailor. Not so amusing anymore....

Thanks for responding...it is like dejavue ...I am returning to the beginning of diagnosis....trying to identify what just happened to us...i should know by now, it is fruitless......hmmmm, then I will go into denial, anger, and acceptance....we have all been there..

But still am curious about the surgeries....??

Two minor surgeries as a child, nothing since. I grew up on my Grandfathers farm. I can remember playing in the fertilizer pile with our Tonka trucks and watching the farmers next my house and cousins house spraying the fields. I have PD, my sister has MS and my Cousin has MS.  I am inclined to think there is a connection.

Like most I think genetics plays a role then something starts to knock over the first domino and the rest is history.

Interesting. I cannot pin point a life event to mine. Had surgeries 12 years ago. Did not grow up around pesticides. Although we do think my symptoms started back around 2000.

Adam...we share the same history...farmland...shallow wells...little information about herbicides and pesticides...an unusually high incidence if MS in the valley

Hi !

I never set foot in a hospital prior to diagnosis at age 34. I was brought up in Paris privileged suburbs, with all sanitation services you could dream of. There was no environmental problem that I know of. No family history of PD.

mireille

Can't pinpoint the start of PD for DH, but can definitely say that PD symptoms dramatically worsened each time after 2 surgeries a couple of years apart.  In fact, both times symptoms were dramatically worse the afternoon after surgery.

I am only very recently diagnosed (about a month ago), but I had an appendectomy in January of last year and noticed that my tremor was much worse afterwards. My guess is that the general stress of having surgery and recovering only exacerbated  whatever problems there were at that time. 

I had 2 surgeries as a child ,tonsils and one other as an infant 6 weeks old . But I believe my exposure to a toxic environment in the military was the trigger for mine.  Dan

I had general for my wisdom teeth extraction when I was 16.  Didn't start to have identifiable PD symptoms until I was 37.  Had hernia surgery (with general) but that was after my official Dx.

I think it would be interesting to do a study to see what the relative risk of PD is vs exposure to general anesthesia.  I'd bet that by 30 years old the rate of exposure to general anesthesia is very high.  But proximity of exposure to onset of symptoms might also shed some light.

I don't want to belittle anyone's theories.  That said, I'm personally skeptical of a link between the two.  If I had access to the necessary data I would find it quite interesting and honestly kind of fun to dive into this question and see if there is a statistically significant link between the two.  My personal theory is that general anesthesia combined with the stress of a surgery might be a trigger that results in symptom onset when it was close to happening anyway.

• Like 1

It looks like lots of people have had surgeries in their lifetime so it would be hard to do a study on it when you have to factor in  that the same people would also  have the genes for it too.  So the theory is not that everyone who gets surgery will have it but that it opened the gate for the disease to reveal itself all the while it was always in the body for certain individuals.   Other things like stress and pesticides which are both toxic to the body can lower your immune system and may bring it out too.  This is all speculations of course and if a study will be done then it will take years before anything is discovered.  Either way you are still stuck with the disease.

Two years before diagnoses I had tonsil surgery.  A year later I had hernia surgery.  I know that because of the tonsil surgery being so recent they chose not to put me completely out for the hernia surgery.  Good question would be why?  Do they know that general anesthesia can trigger things?

Open heart surgery 1956 -- Exposure to Agent  Orange, DDT, and God knows what else in Nam 1971-72

First symptoms of PD  following severe bronchitis 2011

3 kidney stones removed, hernia repaired, and carpal tunnel surgery all under anesthesia 2011-2014

DXed  8/13 

I do believe there is a connection between surgery & PD, based on my own experience & that of friends with PD. The NPF "Aware in Care" kit is designed to minimize problems potentially caused by certain types of surgery meds, etc. Definitely worth checking out. Order the kit here:

http://www.parkinson.org/find-help/aware-in-care-kit

Some people think it's just stress of any kind, not specifically surgery, but even if true, surgery is an awful big stress in my book!

• Like 1

I came down with a staph infection left hand that took 8 different antibiotics until they found one that could get it. Then through multipul blood clots to the right lung. Finished off the nuemonia. All in 4 months time. Lost 40 pounds and three hospital in patient stays while i was at it. I have had a knee replacement and three vertibres fused in my neck. Then returned to work. That is when Things seemed to take off. My GP was puzzled and told me to retire. Sent me for all kinds of tests. IMO some  have it for a long time. But I am pretty certain we all adapt to our symptoms till we sit back and realize the way we were before. Can,t function as well as others our same age on the job,sports,hikes,were tired and so on. Just plain live in denial and think it will go away. All in a nut shell Genetic?chemicals?Viruses?Infections?Operations?When they find a cure then PD can be eradicated once you have it or have been vacinated. But causes will be there and probably impossible to avoid IMo. 

A most interesting thread..... My first symptoms started "AFTER" I had spent a couple of summers working on my aunts, and great uncles/cousins farms over North of Spokane... So yeah, lots of exposures to pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, as well as shallow wells......... and then through out my life since then after each surgery (I've had 16 knee surgeries before they finally just replaced them, plus appendix, and gall bladder removed. as well as a benign tumor that destroyed the inside of my left heel bone that had to be ground out and replaced with graft and a steel plate......<of course I almost died twice after one knee surgery do to a couple rounds of full on anaphylaxis> and of course DBS surgery in 2014), my symptoms would get worse......... Add in the many years I've worked as an automotive and aircraft <heavy jet> mechanic with lots of nasty chemicals, then add in all the hours I've spent in the darkroom with my hands immersed in photographic chemicals... leaves me surprised and thankful that I was able to forestall meds as long as I did. oh, I'm also the 6th person over 4 generations on my mothers side, to be Dx'd with Parkinson's....... So, Genetic? chemicals? Viruses? Infections?Operations? I'd have to say that yes, each one, or a combo of any one, could very well be the smoking gun............... I figure that hey? I really don't care as much about "how" I got it, as much as how do I move forward with it??????????