helplinedonate
PatriotM

First Time Using Medical Marijuana

Finally, my MM is half gone. My friend called to ask how the MM was doing with my symptoms and whether I wanted more. I ordered an ounce (well below the criminal amount of 3.5 ounces) and this time got Afghan Kush. The Kush strains must be popular in this area. Per Stiffler's suggestion, I'm going to call CW Botanicals tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Have you noticed any differences between the Lemon kush and the Afghan? 

BTW, kush is named after the region the strain originates from, a mountain range bordering Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan.

Edited by lethe

Have you noticed any differences between the Lemon kush and the Afghan?

I haven't tried the Afghan Kush yet. I still haven't finished the Lemon Kush. I'll definitely report once I've tried it.

What I was saying is that you likely did slow the progression down since cannabinoids are neuroprotective, however, we won't likely know until cannabis is rescheduled in twentynever years (or at least until big pharma is in a position to profit)

I never expected an improvement or reversal of symptoms when I started MM, i was just hoping for some relief in pain, sleep, eating, anxiety, or apathy. Relief for any one symptom would have been great, but when I got relief from many symptoms - some of which I never would have expected nor even heard of I realized how effective it was. This is because it effects the body's homeostatis - the system that keeps balance in the various functions.

The major physical tell-tale sign of PD long before diagnosis was that I was losing the dexterity in my right hand, making it difficult to unlock a door, this eventually progressed to difficulty typing so that I had to learn to type (brush teeth, etc) with my left hand. Even without tremors, and with meds, I was unable to use my right hand typing. In the last 3 years I have noticed my right hand improving, and in the last year I am back to using my right hand when typing, even with tremors..... I've got so much more dexterity now.....   and this happened before I  started tai chi again.

As the original PD symptom - pre meds - I can think of no other reason for this recovery, aside from my use off MM.

One of the positive things about having a disease that so little is known about is that you are almost encouraged to discover the truth  by thinking outside the box - hopefully finding your own solution to the problems of PD.

• Like 3

One of the positive things about having a disease that so little is known about is that you are almost encouraged to discover the truth  by thinking outside the box - hopefully finding your own solution to the problems of PD.

I also find it quite frustrating that so little definitive information is available about marijuana and PD. We need some significant studies to point us in the right direction on specific strains and dosages to be used in treating PD.

I also find it quite frustrating that so little definitive information is available about marijuana and PD. We need some significant studies to point us in the right direction on specific strains and dosages to be used in treating PD.

Who could disagree with that? Non-traditional treatments are a big wide world and it's hard to sift through all of it. I am sure there is legitimacy to some of it but.....? 

For those that are having success with marijuana- are you still employed? How about you Patriot? 

For those that are having success with marijuana- are you still employed? How about you Patriot?

I own a business, so I'm not really employed.

ttp://www.pharmabiz.com/Default.aspx

Vancouver, British Columbia

Thursday, May 05, 2016, 11:00 Hrs  [iST]  

Cannevert Therapeutics Ltd., the research partner of Veritas Pharma Inc, an early stage pharmaceutical company, has obtained an exemption from Health Canada to legally perform cannabis research.

“We’re pleased with Health Canada’s approval. Cannevert scientists can now begin the hard work of screening the various cannabis cultivars from Whistler Medical Marijuana Corporation,” explained Veritas CEO, Lui Franciosi. Health Canada also granted permission for the scientists to use other controlled substances to better understand the effects of cannabis.

Cannevert welcomes this government decision since the regulatory approval and authorisation enables the researchers to obtain sufficient varieties of cannabis on a regular basis to ensure rapid scientific progress. The necessary chemical and pharmacological assays have been already calibrated and standardised so allowing full analysis of 2 to 3 cannabis strains on a weekly basis.

Veritas Pharma’s aim is to get the most appropriate cultivars into the clinic and obtain the necessary intellectual protection for those showing therapeutic potential for human diseases.

Finally, I am concerned about driving after vaping MM. I'm not concerned about being intoxicated, because I'm not taking enough MM to be intoxicated. However, I am concerned about the amount of MM in my blood and urine and how that compares to the legal limit for driving. So, I ordered a urine test, so that I can determine

Scientific basis for laws on marijuana, driving questioned

6INGTON - Motorists are being convicted of driving under the influence of marijuana based on arbitrary state standards that have no connection to whether the driver was actually impaired, says a study by the nation's largest auto club.

The problem is only growing as more states contemplate legalizing the drug. At least three, and possibly as many as 11 states, will vote this fall on ballot measures to legalize marijuana for medicinal or recreational use, or both. Legislation to legalize the drug has also been introduced in a half dozen states.

Currently, six states — Colorado, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington — have set specific limits for THC, the chemical in marijuana that makes people high, in drivers' blood. Marijuana use is legal in those states for either recreational or medicinal purposes, with the exception of Ohio. The laws presume a driver whose THC level exceeds the threshold is impaired. But the study by AAA's safety foundation says the limits have no scientific basis and can result in innocent drivers being convicted, and in guilty drivers being released.

"There is understandably a strong desire by both lawmakers and the public to create legal limits for marijuana impairment in the same manner we do alcohol," said Marshall Doney, AAA's president and CEO. "In the case of marijuana, this approach is flawed and not supported by scientific research."

Another nine states, including some that have legalized marijuana for medical use, have zero-tolerance laws for driving and marijuana that make not only any presence of THC in a driver's blood illegal, but also the presence of its metabolites, which can linger in a driver's bloodstream for weeks after any impairment has dissipated.

That makes no sense, said Mark A. R. Kleiman, a New York University professor specializing in issues involving drugs and criminal policy. "A law against driving with THC in your bloodstream is not a law you can know you are obeying except by never smoking marijuana or never driving," he said.

The problem is that determining whether someone is impaired by marijuana, as opposed to having merely used the drug, is far more complex than the simple and reliable tests that have been developed for alcohol impairment.

The degree to which a driver is impaired by marijuana use depends a lot on the individual, the foundation said. Drivers with relatively high levels of THC in their systems might not be impaired, especially if they are regular users, while others with relatively low levels may be unsafe behind the wheel.

Some drivers may be impaired when they are stopped by police, but by the time their blood is tested they have fallen below the legal threshold because active THC dissipates rapidly. The average time to collect blood from a suspected driver is often more than two hours because taking a blood sample typically requires a warrant and transport to a police station or hospital, the foundation said.

In addition, frequent marijuana users can exhibit persistent levels of the drug long after use, while THC levels can decline more rapidly among occasional users.

Colorado's 5-nanogram limit for THC in blood "was picked out of thin air by politicians," said Robert Corry, a Denver criminal defence attorney. "Innocent people are convicted of DUI because of this."

Melanie Brinegar, who uses marijuana every day to control back pain, was stopped by police two years ago for having an expired license plate. The officer smelled marijuana and Brinegar acknowledged she had used the drug earlier in the day. Her blood test showed a level of 19 nanograms, well over the state limit. She was arrested and charged with driving while impaired.

Brinegar, 30, who lives in Denver, said she spent the next 13 months working 80 to 90 hours a week to pay for a lawyer to help her fight the charge and eventually was acquitted. People like herself will always test positive for THC whether they are high or not because of their frequent use, she said.

"It took a good amount of my time and my life," she said. "There is still that worry if I get pulled over (again)."

Studies show that using marijuana and driving roughly doubles the risk of a crash, Kleiman said. By comparison, talking on a hands-free cellphone while driving — lal in all states — quadruples crash risk, he said. A blood alcohol content of .12, which is about the median amount in drunken driving cases, increases crash risk by about 15 times, he said.

Driving with "a noisy child in the back of the car" is about as dangerous as using marijuana and driving, Kleiman said.

driver has both been using marijuana and drinking alcohol because the two substances together greatly heighten impairment, he said.

___

Online:

AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety https://www.aaafoundation.org/impaired-driving-and-cannabis

Edited by lethe

Vancouver, British Columbia

Thursday, May 05, 2016, 11:00 Hrs  [iST]

Cannevert Therapeutics Ltd., the research partner of Veritas Pharma Inc, an early stage pharmaceutical company, has obtained an exemption from Health Canada to legally perform cannabis research.

That's a step in the right direction.

Studies show that using marijuana and driving roughly doubles the risk of a crash, Kleiman said. By comparison, talking on a hands-free cellphone while driving — lal in all states — quadruples crash risk, he said. A blood alcohol content of .12, which is about the median amount in drunken driving cases, increases crash risk by about 15 times, he said.

Driving with "a noisy child in the back of the car" is about as dangerous as using marijuana and driving, Kleiman said.

The obvious answer is to ban noisy children.

Let's say that MM (medical marijuana, not musicman  :-P ) gives you substantial relief from many symptoms...so much so that you suddenly find it difficult to have a good day without it.

THEN, you go on a 10 day cruise, where you obviously are not able to take any MM with you. Don't you think you'd be miserable?

Edited by musicman

Let's say that MM (medical marijuana, not musicman  :-P ) gives you substantial relief from many symptoms...so much so that you suddenly find it difficult to have a good day without it.

THEN, you go on a 10 day cruise, where you obviously are not able to take any MM with you. Don't you think you'd be miserable?

On a 10 day cruise, I would probably take Tramadol with me for my Parkinson's pain that I experience. I would also take something to help me sleep. If the depression kicks in, maybe an anti-depressant. With the Tramadol comes more constipation, so, something for that too. The stiffness would amp up so maybe a few drinks to loosen up... yes, MM helps for all of that.

I would not go through withdrawals (there are none) if that's what you are implying. It's in the same Schedule I class as heroine but it shouldn't be. 

MM makes me feel better instantly and I believe it's making me feel better slowly over time too.

Edited by Stiffler

No, I'm not thinking withdrawals. Just wondering if you would enjoy the vacation that much less, since all the symptoms MM is helping with all ramp up for 10 days. I mean, you DO get used to the "feeling much better"....then suddenly it's gone for 10 days. I would imagine you couldn't wait to get back home.

I have been effected personally by multiple loved ones and their use of marijuana throughout my life.  Personally, I have found that it makes people more irritable, lethargic and forgetful (something us PD patients do not need).  I have had two people abuse the drug as well.  One of their primary care physicians had come to visit them in the hospital, and actually told him that THC can mess up your brain's natural chemicals - in this instance, he was on psych meds too, so I'm sure the combination didn't help.  Anyway, I did some research of my own on the subject and found many links stating that too much THC can actually titrate up in your system and effect dopamine negatively.  Again, another red flag for PD. I don't know.  We are all different, but this was my experience and opinion on it....then there's the legality factor.  I had a friend that had a script for it for cancer in NJ, and it worked for him, but again, apples to oranges.  Maybe the strain makes a difference.  I have heard that there are some prescription strains very low in THC.

• Like 3

My only recommendation is to keep an open mind. If at all possible try it for yourself before passing judgment. Worst case you have a mildly uncomfortable experience and sleep it off. Far, far less uncomfortable than "closing the bar" would be. Oh and by the way far less toxic as well.

• Like 2

Maybe the strain makes a difference.  I have heard that there are some prescription strains very low in THC.

Good friend of mine dang near died from some form of encephalitis.  He did suffer some brain damage from it, such that the docs are concerned that he'll develop MS as a consequence.  Anyway, he's one of (apparently only) 202 people in all of Germany that had a legit MMJ prescription.  He said the legal weed he gets has the Delta-8 and Delta-9 THC removed from it so he doesn't get the high.

I've just completed the first month of Medical Marijuana. As of today, I vaping MM three times a day and taking Cannabinoid Extract twice a day. I am getting tremor relief from the MM, which starts 15-30 minutes after vaping and lasts anywhere between 1 1/2 and 3 hours. Sometimes, the tremor is completely stopped and other times the tremor is greatly reduced. I definitely have "OFF" periods with my three a day dosing schedule. I'm considering going to four times a day. Even if I finally decide to vape 3 times a day, the break in my tremor is VERY NICE. I don't know if it is practical to completely eliminate the tremor with MM, but on the other hand, I don't think any of the PD meds will completely eliminate it 24 hours a day either.

As I've said before, the MM has reduced the number of migraine headaches (more properly cluster headaches) just about in half. On a couple of occasions, I had a migraine start and stopped it by vaping MM. It looks like I'm on pace to take 9 Imitrex does this month for migraines. I usually use 18 Imitrex doses per month (2 boxes of Imitrex).

Finally, I'm able to sleep through the night without getting up to pee. This is allowing me to get much better sleep!

All in all, I'm pleased with the medical marijuana so far. I've had absolutely no side effects so far.

Edited by PatriotM

That's awesome Patriot!

Since you are experimenting, I would recommend that you try a tincture as well. I use tinctures and find the delivery works incredibly well and you can use the droppers easily and discretely. I feel that it lasts a bit longer too.

Here is a link to the recipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lUX-tXdd8

He does a good presentation but didn't decarboxlyase first which I would recommend. The MB2 machine is less than $200 and well worth it although you can make it without the machine. 

It doesn't take much (2-3 droppers / 3-5 ml). One ounce of bud goes a long ways.

Gosh, I feel so dirty and evil talking about Marijuana...... NOT!

Since you are experimenting, I would recommend that you try a tincture as well. I use tinctures and find the delivery works incredibly well and you can use the droppers easily and discretely. I feel that it lasts a bit longer too.

Here is a link to the recipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_lUX-tXdd8

He does a good presentation but didn't decarboxlyase first which I would recommend. The MB2 machine is less than $200 and well worth it although you can make it without the machine. 

It doesn't take much (2-3 droppers / 3-5 ml). One ounce of bud goes a long ways.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely ordering a MB2!

PatriotM,

I'm so happy that MM is proving to be a good relief for your tremors...

I think it takes a Man of confidence to post his daily experience knowing there are people who completely disagree with MM ...

Right or wrong who cares as long as it's working for you....I think you're at an age to know what's best for you...

Good on ya....

Happy vapourizing!!!!

D

Edited by Discovery
  • Like 3