helplinedonate
bjenczyk

Laxatives and Sinemet interaction

My mother has had PD for over 10 years, and recently she has become very fixated on bowel movements, constipation and her digestion.  She does have some legitimate problems in this area, but recently she has begun self-medicating with laxatives, stool softeners, enemas and related products.  One of my concerns is that putting some of this through her stomach may be affecting her absorption of her PD medications.  Is this a valid concern?  It just seems to me that anything that affects the digestive tract is going to have the potential to wash through the PD meds, or if something is lining the digestive tract then it may block absorption.  Please let me know if this is a realistic concern.  

Just to be clear, we have had numerous tests done on her digestive system (from top to bottom) and no systemic problem has been found.  I think her constipation comes from immobility, poor diet and PD.  I also have PD, so I do sympathize, but I need to know if she is not doing herself any favors by taking some of the home remedies she has tried.  

I absolutely know that anything you take that can either speed up or slow down a bowel movement will directly effect the absorption of other meds (PD meds especially).

Since most PD meds are absorbed in the intestines, a laxative will move the med through quicker which will result in less of the med being absorbed.

I do feel for you and her, but being sedentary does not help with bowel movement. If she can even walk every day that would help. If she could even do one more step than the day prior, that is more exercise each day.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

HI DR COMES, What if you eat dinner then take the Ducolax in + 30 min and the PD meds 30 minutes after that?

Hello Doc,

Dulcolax should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before a meal.

So, if the Dulcolax was taken 30 to 60 minutes before eating, then the medication taken 30 to 60 minutes after eating, this should give the best results. Keep in mind it may take 6 to 12 hours for the Dulcolax to work.

Another product you may want to look at is Miralax. It used to be prescription, but is now available over-the-counter and also has a less expensive house brand. You can dissolve 1 dose in 8 oz. of water and take it first thing in the morningwith or without food. If any medication needs to be taken in the morning,  it should be taken about an hour before taking the Miralax. 

It dissolves completely in water and has no taste. If you would like, you could add a few drops of concentrated lemon juice to make it more palatable. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted