helplinedonate
devildog89us

Australians Come up with a new blood test for PD

Sounds promising! Time will tell. Current data are based on a small number of cases, and need to be validated in a much larger sample, mainly comprising early stage patients. They also need to be compared to Datscan results which is the current gold standard test -or should we say the only diagnostic test...- available for confirmation of the clinical diagnosis of PD.

Also, this test is of little clinical utility for those of  us who have been diagnosed for several years (unless  there remains any diagnostic uncertainty).

Edited by christie

I got a question for you if I may. Do you have any trouble with MCI with your PD? I know I do. I cannot even remember what my wife fixed for me last night. I know that sounds crazy, but I can only remember what I ate today. In a sense, I am glad I was diagnosed with PD, because I believe God had something better for me than I could possibly imagine. I mean, it's not going to be one of those scenarios like for instance Michael J. Fox, were I start my own foundation for a cure. In some form of fashion we are all activists' who happened to be diagnosed with PD. The terms on and off mean a whole lot to some people. Like for instance, Saturday, my family and I went to Walmart, the people that work the self check out. The lady said to me was, how are you today? At this point, it was about time when I normally take my dosage of Requip. I just happen to say, "Not good ma'am, I am coming "off". That lady didn't understand what I was talking about, but my wife knew, because I always carry my PD meds when I go somewhere. That lady looked at my wife and said, "What's wrong with him". My wife replied, "My husband has Parkinson's Disease". My wife looked at me and said, "The medicine is in my purse. Do you need to go to the car". I replied, "I will go outside after I take this dosage of Requip".

Edited by devildog89us

Most PD patients, even YOPD patients or early stage patients -me included- have minor cognitive difficulties, known as "brain fog" or "clognition".

Nothing to be particularly worried about. It's not a precursor of dementia, just our brain getting a little slower..

Surprisingly, physical exercise works wonders for cognitive issues!

Then I guess my brain fog is really bad, because I didn't even know who my older brother until my wife told me.

If you have trouble recognizing family or friends, this is surely not brain fog but something else.

Have you talked with your neurologist about that? If not you should!