helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MurrayPD2

I need to manage memory problems

20 posts in this topic

It happened again today, the moment in the afternoon where I feel tired, sluggish, and my PD symptoms are getting stronger.  I ask myself if I took my afternoon dose of c/l and I can't recall.  It is scary, but judging by what my body is telling me, an the fact that I have been doing good with c/l all day, I took my dose.  however, it is kind of scary, because what if I am wrong?  These little memory slips happen and I forget mainly names or what to call something, but will  remember a couple of minutes later. 

I really need to carry a pill organizer around and be sure to fill it in the morning.  I am going to mess something up someday.  It is really my mid-day meds that I easily forget.  the morning and night time meds are kept separate.  At 45, this is not great, but at least I still function well at work; which requires critical thinking..

what do you do to help you remember or at least remind you?

Yeah, it's not the really important events I forget...it's the routine dumb ones, like "did I take my 1:30 dose of sinemet?"

I purchased a divided dose pill organizer and put my doses in four separate compartments. Then I set the alarm on my phone to remind me. If I turned the alarm off without taking the pill, I could go look in the compartment to see if it was still there. I got tired of having to count the entire bottle. You can get them at a drug store or on Amazon.

Dianne

I set alarms on my phone to remind me to take my pills. I also carry around a notebook in which I write down everything that goes into my body on a given day, liquids, food, and meds, but I take a LOT of meds, and since being put on thickened liquid don't automatically drink enough.

Years ago, I tried to invent a pill bottle that would automatically keep track of the last time it was opened. If anyone here has the engineering know-how to pull it off they're more than welcome steal my idea.

1 person likes this

The cure for my late day sluggishness is activity.All I need to fel better is a short walk anything but sitting aroundd.I wouldnt worry to much about occasional memory laps..Best is to have a plan for your future and fhan you wont be to concerned about daily frustrations.

1 person likes this

Check out the app Medisafe for your phone or IPad. You can set an alarm to remind you to take your meds. There are also daily medication containers with an alarm that some folks use. Memory is not very reliable with PD.

The short term memory loss sucks. I set alarms on my phone. If your meds are not easily available, just keep hitting snooze until you take your pill.

If you take your meds multiple times a day it is understandable to skip one here and there. Your life does not revolve around taking your pills and when they are working right it makes it even easier to forget one dose.  I don't think it's a memory loss issue here.  I don't have PD and I am certain I would forget it time to time like all of you. 

Task focsing does wonders for memory.But one thing Ive learned lately is that I have to stay with it or I can regress someTLooing back I am much better than I was before PD in many ways.I avoid conflicts and dreaded dilemmas ..I prioritize my life now and avoid being distracted till I resolve problems

The Wisdom from Dr.Low will give you much guidance 

Best

john

1 person likes this

I set alarms on my phone to remind me to take my pills. I also carry around a notebook in which I write down everything that goes into my body on a given day, liquids, food, and meds, but I take a LOT of meds, and since being put on thickened liquid don't automatically drink enough.

Years ago, I tried to invent a pill bottle that would automatically keep track of the last time it was opened. If anyone here has the engineering know-how to pull it off they're more than welcome steal my idea.

I am an engineer, so I am  interested... send me a PM.  8)

I have a pill box with enough compartments to hold a weeks worth of pills. One compartment for each day of the week. I can get along with this system cause I don't take that many pills. Seven pills a day. I have forgotten at times if I took one or not. I look at that days and usually can figure it out. 

If you take your meds multiple times a day it is understandable to skip one here and there. Your life does not revolve around taking your pills and when they are working right it makes it even easier to forget one dose.  I don't think it's a memory loss issue here.  I don't have PD and I am certain I would forget it time to time like all of you. 

I also forget appointments, tasks, and I temporarily forget what the name of something is. I think the feeling comfortable part of it is correct.   When I am busy at home  concentrating on a project, I can easily miss a dose until I realize it when I slow down or get stiff and shaky. 

Yet, at work, I am on a schedule and I know what time to take it.  I just simply forget. 

Check out the app Medisafe for your phone or IPad. You can set an alarm to remind you to take your meds. There are also daily medication containers with an alarm that some folks use. Memory is not very reliable with PD.

I can't use my phone at my desk...workplace rules.  So, that makes it harder.  I like the idea of simply writing it down.  That is probably best...  a medical log

I also forget appointments, tasks, and I temporarily forget what the name of something is. I think the feeling comfortable part of it is correct.   When I am busy at home  concentrating on a project, I can easily miss a dose until I realize it when I slow down or get stiff and shaky. 

Yet, at work, I am on a schedule and I know what time to take it.  I just simply forget. 

Forgetting appointments, name of people or things? That's 5 out of 7 men at work.   I thought it was just a male thing. :-P

1 person likes this

I over dosed on C/L once and had to go to the hospital.. They gave me several shots of Benadryl and told me if that ever happens again to take a couple of those pills.  Thankfully it has not happened again.  I use a phone alarm system to remind me to take  my meds.

1 person likes this

Best thing that works for me is the whole week pill organizer from walgreens. It comes with one organizer per day with four spots (morning, noon, eve and night). The nice thing is I can fill it once a week and then take one days worth of drugs with me. I use an alarm as a back up. I also carry a small pill case with me with some back up meds, just incase I am away from my desk.

Good luck

As with everyone, I hate the 2 second short term memory. Yellow post its are my best friend.

Blessings

Adam

1 person likes this

I usually create reminders in my phone :) But, you had better consult a psychiatrist as soon as possible. I think it is just hallucination that lets yourself to believe that you are a patient. Keep yourself cool and have fun always. You had better enjoy entertainment events like sports, movies, games, and some other entertainment programs to get relaxed.

I've been thinking about this....

Since you probably NEVER forget your 1st dose of the day, that would be a good time to fill up a container with all the rest of the pills you need to take that day. In my case, that is when I would toss in an Azilect, then 3 more sinemets (2 doses of 1-1/2 tabs). If I check later on and any of that is still in the container, then I haven't taken them yet....obviously :mrgreen:

I found the perfect pill organizer on Amazon. It is a canvas case that holds seven individual pill

boxes, one for each day of the week. Each pill box has 5 dosing compartments. I take pills seven

times a day, so I have one additional pill box on my nightstand that holds my bedtime pills and my

3:00am pills. Once a week I load both boxes. With this system, it is impossible to lose track of my

schedule. When I'm going to be gone all day, I simply pull that day's box out of the case and I'm good

until bedtime. Recommend it highly! Gardener

3 people like this