helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

I haven't been on the Forum in quite a while and the music topic is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you.  I studied piano as a child and teenager, did well at it, enjoyed it greatly but interests changed at 17 years old and the piano fell by the wayside.  Only YESTERDAY I was at a store in my neighborhood and never noticed the store across the street - Guitar Center.  I went in and saw a huge room full of electronic keyboards.  There's even headsets so you can play as loud as you want without bothering anyone in the house.  I sat down to run some scales and my fingers stumbled awkwardly over each other.  But the finger memory was still there and I remembered the sharps and flats.  I realized this would be a great activity to improve dexterity and hopefully even get back into the joy I once had playing piano.  The search is now on for the keyboard.  I participate in Tremble Clefs singing group for PD and it's improved voice projection and throat muscles. 

Edited by EllenRosen
  • Like 1

There is shaped note singing in Tucson early March, I usually attend.

I've had bad experiences with Guitar Center, they use commissioned sales people.  Try craigslist or nextdoor.

In the mean time, one can sing eight days a week around the twin cities.

hans

I had always wanted to learn to play guitar, so now, 45 and retired, I bought a Stratocaster and an amp. I’ve been teaching myself with YouTube videos and music apps. Sometimes I’m too stiff to play but when the meds are on it’s a blast. I found that dedicating an area in the house just for music, almost like a studio or stage with everything ready to pick up and play, makes it much more enjoyable. 

FYI I take rytary and selegilene right now. Diagnosed at 40.  Just came off mirapex. Boy does that drug suck

One of my latest music videos. Probably better to listen to than watch, since it doesn't show a lot. I tend to get stressed with a camera pointed at my face, versus pointed at my hands :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's great, MusicMan!  I have returned to the forum after a long break, and what a fine posting to start with!  Thanks.

And Prospector99, I had to laugh when I read your post.  We are proof of the commonplace that every PD case is different:  it's Mirapex that subdues all my symptoms and gives me no side effects!  I take it with rasagiline and now also a low dose of carbidopa/levodopa.

My piano playing is still going well after all these years (over 20 with PD), but I am strictly an amateur.  I play for friends but never in public performance.

J

Bob, as always you've done an awesome job, capturing all of the neat chords and the feel of the song in your voice.  Just wonderful to listen to.

Did Carol King or James Taylor make this popular?  I've heard them both sing it.  I think she wrote it, and maybe it was for him to sing?

J!  How very nice to see you post again.  I have thought of you often and hoped you hadn't left us.

I so wish you would do as MM (Bob) has done so that we could hear you playing the piano.  I know from the pieces you have mentioned over the past few years that you must has quite the talent,  Won't you share it with us?  :-)

Yes, J....Share your music with us. If not now, when? Every day seems to get a little harder for me, so I decided that I need to record stuff for the memories I can leave for my daughter.

Thx Linda and J. Yes, Carole King wrote it. I have never heard JT sing Too Late, but he did sing another big song of hers, "You've Got A Friend".

MusicMan-

My friend and I saw Beautiful The Carole King Story on Broadway....excellent...see it if you get the opportunity.  I never knew she wrote for so many other artists before making it as a singer on her own.  

Music and dancing have been a major tools in my toolbox.  My husband and I have been taking ballroom dance lessons for over two years now.  I honestly forget I have PD when we are busting a move.  

Dance like noone is watching folks!

LAD

3 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Yes, J....Share your music with us. If not now, when? Every day seems to get a little harder for me, so I decided that I need to record stuff for the memories I can leave for my daughter.

Thx Linda and J. Yes, Carole King wrote it. I have never heard JT sing Too Late, but he did sing another big song of hers, "You've Got A Friend".

You're right.  I just found a video of them both singing it, though, back in 2010...  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  What two wonderful talents!

Ginger LAD, I've been wondering if you have any videos you can share of you and your DH at a dance?  Would love to see that.  We enjoyed the video of your dance lesson!

3 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

Ginger LAD, I've been wondering if you have any videos you can share of you and your DH at a dance?  Would love to see that.  We enjoyed the video of your dance lesson!

Not the best and not sure why others of my son come in as well. We are going to a wedding this weekend so maybe I'll get a good one

Edited by LAD

Lad, that was just lovely. You and your DH are exactly in sync and step and with such grace.  I loved this and can only imagine how fun it will be to see more if you can get them at the dance.  :-)    Have fun.

Bob, just for the record, I liked your soft, sweet, perfect version of It's Too Late best.  Really so nice.  I hope you'll keep posting them.

1 hour ago, Linda Garren said:

Bob, just for the record, I liked your soft, sweet, perfect version of It's Too Late best.  Really so nice.  I hope you'll keep posting them.

Thx, Linda. Ok, here's another one from a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Linda Garren said:

Awesome!

What is your favorite song of all to sing?

Jeez....it changes every month. I just learned "This Guy's In Love With You" by Burt Baccarat (old song, but still cool). Before that it was New York State Of Mind (Billy Joel), I Can't Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt), and Tin Man (Miranda Lambert's version). Plus, I'm trying to write a song for my daughter's wedding in February. It's a good hobby that keeps my brain active...

Linda and MusicMan --

I have tried recording my playing but have only my camera's video function, and it makes the tone of the piano sound like a tinny toy piano.  My Schimmel piano is really beautiful in sound, but I don't know how to record it well.  

Hi, J. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I was away from the site to catch up with the news.

I wonder if anyone knows a way that you could download to a site on line through which the sound could be adjusted? 

Bob, do you by any chance know of anything like this that could help?

I think most smart phones have pretty good audio/video capture, and could then be downloaded on your computer.

Creating a Youtube channel is free and easy, and phone videos can then be uploaded to your channel to share with others. Sounds pretty easy, but it isn't if you've never done stuff like this.

Drummer here....that's how I noticed my first symptoms. My right foot, using the bass drum pedal wanted to double or triple beats... 

I feel better mentally and physically when I listen and play. 

Yeah, I can tap the right hand for about a minute before it gets unresponsive.

BTW, I sent to boarding school in S. Woodstock, where I first had guitar lessons.

hans

• Like 1