helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

On 10/16/2017 at 8:50 PM, Linda Garren said:

Ginger LAD, I've been wondering if you have any videos you can share of you and your DH at a dance?  Would love to see that.  We enjoyed the video of your dance lesson!

Someone got us tonight ....we messed up once at the end

LAD

Edited by LAD

Thanks, Muffet.  So enjoyed watching. :wink:

I''ve wondered where the stage is on which we've watched you and your son act and sing?

Edited by Linda Garren

5 minutes ago, Linda Garren said:

Thanks, Muffet.  So enjoyed watching. :wink:

I''ve wondered where the stage is on which we've watched you and your son act and sing?

Thanks! We go lots of places but the videos were from a place called Mexitaly here in York. My sons videos are from all over- whenever I can get a video of him. 

LAD

I'm hopefully starting a study about PD and guitar in February... fingers crossed!!  

MusicMan - I'll keep you posted! 

LAD

MM, I think this research project will be teaching guitar using a different fingering technique.  Not sure I interpreted this correctly.   Here are some sites that relate to this topic.  (The MDS leading this research is my MDS at Hopkins.  He's an incredible physician and musician, as well as a positive, energetic, upbeat, always-smiling and caring human being.)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/center-for-music-and-medicine/care-for-performers/index.html

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/search?form_instance=thincrust&client=hopkinsmedicine_frontend&proxystylesheet=hopkinsmedicine_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&site=hopkinsmedicine_collection&q=music+and+medicine

https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2016/fall/music-as-treatment-sound-healing/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-music-and-medicine-20170518-story.html

Edited by Linda Garren

9 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

MM, I think this research project will be teaching guitar using a different fingering technique.  Not sure I interpreted this correctly.   Here are some sites that relate to this topic.  (The MDS leading this research is my MDS at Hopkins.  He's an incredible physician and musician, as well as a positive, energetic, upbeat, always-smiling and caring human being.)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/center-for-music-and-medicine/care-for-performers/index.html

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/search?form_instance=thincrust&client=hopkinsmedicine_frontend&proxystylesheet=hopkinsmedicine_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&site=hopkinsmedicine_collection&q=music+and+medicine

https://hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2016/fall/music-as-treatment-sound-healing/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-music-and-medicine-20170518-story.html

Thanks! It is DR. P'!! I did not ask many questions.. 

He just said....a study with guitar .... and I jumped in! 

LAD

Edited by LAD

Way to go, LADDIE!! :-)

Fun that we have the same MDS, too.  I had wanted to participate in both the guitar and African drum research groups, but I just don't have the strength any more to even think of doing it.  Sure would have been fun, though.  You'll have to keep us up on it as you go along, okay?  I know you'll have a great time, especially being with other Parkies also doing it.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this works but we do DRUMMING in the class I help out in here in York.

Funny thing about Parkinson's and piano playing..

Not the easiest thing to do... This morning I was practicing Scriabin's Prelude in G flat major on the piano.

I noticed a definite slower movement in my fingers on my dominant hand. So now I'm going to have to slow the whole piece down to match what my fingers can do. Plus I'm going to have to go back and try practicing some regular scales. And, I'm going to have to make sure I've taken a dose of baclofen at the right time so that my hand will not be as tight when I try to play. 

-S

When I took what is called "Big" for rehab from my initial slam of Parkinson problems, my PT told me when the rehab was completed that my wife and I should take a particular type of dance class. She said any kind of dance works to improve balance and gait and further reduce tripping and other things I can't recall now. I ended up doing something different but the same idea that she also approved of, but I have heard from a number of Parkinson people that the dancing helped them a lot, and they still do it for both fun and PT.

Superdecooper --

When I first tried returning to classical piano after a few years with PD, I could barely coordinate my two hands.  I often had a delayed muscular response from one finger or another that translated into mistimed notes.  I tried certain pieces of music that seemed hopelessly beyond my ability.  Because I only play for my own amusement, I didn't fret too much over it, but I was definitely discouraged.  I thought I'd just stay with simple pieces of music that I could master.

After doing that regularly, playing little pieces I had learned as a child or in my teens, I noticed improvement, so I gradually advanced to more difficult music.  I had thought nerve/muscle coordination could not be improved, but I was wrong.  Now, when I time my medication just right, I get the same intense feeling of getting inside the music that I used to have years ago.  For an amateur, I can play reasonably well such things as Chopin's "Berceuse" and "Fantasy Impromptu in C-sharp Minor" and Beethoven's "Sonate Pathétique" and am currently learning Mozart's "Sonata No. 16 for Piano."  You'll never see me on the concert stage, of course, but with almost daily practice, I have improved enough to find joy in playing.

J

• Thanks 1

J of Grey Cottage,

You get the gold star today for cheering me up, seriously. Yaay! I have a baby grand in my living room that calls me to play. There's no way I want to give that up.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm relearning Largo by Handel, Mozart Piano Sonata in A major, K. 488, second movement, and an obscure piece by Ernesto Hafter called Hommage a Frederic Moupour - it's hauntingly beautiful.

-S

Superdecooper, I'm so glad to have helped.  You sound like a very accomplished musician.  I do play Handel's Largo, have not played the Mozart sonata you mention.  As for Hafter's "Hommage à Frederic Moupour," I am a picture of ignorance, having never heard either name, I think.  Back to Google for me!

Keep the music flowing!    J

It's Frédéric Mompou , a Spanish  or rather Catalan composer, who lived in the XXth century.

Edited by MIMILASTER

Yes. Mimilaster, you are correct. It is Frederic Mompou. I've tried to play some of his music as well and I think I like it. The piece I'm working on from Ernesto H. is a hommage that hints at the essence of his style. This piece resonates with me because it sort of mimics my life: at first very beautiful, then chaos, then beautiful again.,

Here's a youtube link to the piece. It's not my favorite version of this, but it's not bad.

I've never considered myself a musically talented or gifted person, but my wife is  very gifted when it comes to playing the piano and organ. I did take some lessons as an adult and can do a half way job when it comes to reading music.  I've been thinking of getting a book of finger exercises out and maybe trying to see if it might be help to keep my hands a little more limber,  ?     

One of the instruments I have started to take up is from the Australian Aboriginals called the Dideridoo. I have read that many people with sleep apnea do much better once they learn it. I have just started but I find it to be a good work out, and very fun.

No that is not me! :P

Wow, you guys!!  What a thread! 

Scoop, is this the one you were practicing?  It's beautiful.  I've never heard of this composer.  Another incredible gift the Lord has given you, along with your writing and martial arts accomplishments.

Adam!!!!   The Dideridoo??!!!   That has to be the most unique instrument ever!  Never heard anything like it. You'll have to send us video and audio of your playing it! :-)

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

And dear J of Grey Cottage:   The Chopin piece is absolutely lovely.  I think you are being very modest.  If you can play something like this...you're an incredible musician!  I've posted several people playing it because of their seemingly becoming a part of the piece as they play it. It's mesmerizing to both listen and watch them perform.  

I sure wish you could get MM to help you with a video/audio of you playing it!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-005&hsimp=yhs-005&hspart=mozilla&p=Chopin's+"Berceuse"#id=4&vid=cf3b820729ba13b9e3756a0d30e6139f&action=view

Edited by Linda Garren

Linda, believe me -- I am not being unnecessarily modest about my playing.  I said that as an amateur I play reasonably well.  These recordings are professionals playing exceptionally well!  I particularly like the interpretation of Zhi Chao Julian Jia.  But I still have to slow the tempo in two parts of the piece just to play all the notes, and I don't believe I have ever played it all the way through without at least two or three errors.  As much as I enjoy playing the piano, listeners would never be as pleased as with these fine recordings.