helplinedonate
Kristen Marie

New Parkinson's Disease Assistive Device Research

Hello, I am studying design and technology in year 11 at Catherine McAuley High School and am currently designing a product to enable those who are diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease to live a more independent life. My main focus is on designing a tool which makes the everyday task of hanging out the laundry much easier. The following questions are part of my research in order for the design to suit personal needs and be successful in improving the lives of those who suffer from Parkinson's. Any questions that you don't feel comfortable completing can be left blank. 

Click here to complete the survey.

Thank you for helping in the process of allowing those diagnosed with Parkinson's to become more independent.

I'm going to take you at your word that you are a high school student.  That said, there have been several people posting up things like this lately, so if you want people to take you seriously then post up some additional information that will help us figure out if you are who you say you are.  One thing that would give you credibility would be to post the name of the teacher that is advising you and the town your school is in.  

In the mean time I would advise all other people on this forum to refrain from answering that survey lest it be an unscrupulous attempt to glean personal data.

Stump, you are really becoming a skeptic.  That is a good thing!

MakingaDifference -- I really would like to think the best of people, but your google docs form has

something very odd about it.  It is PHISHING to gain account control.

http://gizmodo.com/beware-of-this-dangerously-convincing-google-docs-phish-1546278702

Do people still hang laundry outside??

Yeah I was skeptical too when it this exact post popped up in an old feed I started last year. Thanks Tom for the warning. I sent a report to the admin to look into it.

Stump, you are really becoming a skeptic.  That is a good thing!

MakingaDifference -- I really would like to think the best of people, but your google docs form has

something very odd about it.  It is PHISHING to gain account control.

http://gizmodo.com/beware-of-this-dangerously-convincing-google-docs-phish-1546278702

Heh.  Wait until I get going.  I can get full blown cynical.

Hey Guys,

Look, this is simply an assessment - I'm new to this and don't know much about Parkinson's. Any questions you don't wish to answer can be left blank and there is no need to log in when completing the survey. Also, no personal information is asked for. 

My school is in Australia, I will not give out the suburb due to wanting to keep my personal information to myself, just like you want to keep your personal information private.

You have a choice whether you complete the survey or not - I'm not forcing anyone to - This survey is simply to better the lives of individuals with PD who wish to live an independent life. 

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me.

Kristen

Thanks for coming back and responding.  For the record I didn't ask for your identifying information, just for enough to be able to contact your advising teacher and verify this is a legitimate class project.

Do people still hang laundry outside??

Yeah I was skeptical too when it this exact post popped up in an old feed I started last year. Thanks Tom for the warning. I sent a report to the admin to look into it.

She's apparently in Australia.  I'm pretty sure it's similar there to New Zealand to the extent that air-drying laundry is still quite commonplace.  When I lived in Christchurch nearly everyone had clotheslines and would hang their laundry out to dry.  Except in the winter when it would get spread on racks by the wood stove.  Only the very wealthy or those in the city with super small lots or apartments (flats) would use a tumble dryer.  Total opposite to here where hanging your laundry out is actually illegal (or at least in violation of HOA by-laws) in many communities.  

If I have PD I don't think finding a better way to hang my laundry would be a priority for me.  It's a neat idea but I wouldn't be in a hurry to get it.  Good luck nevertheless.

Unfortunately, the assessment states that I must create a device to help people with little hand mobility to hang their washing. If you were needing evidence that this is a project I am happy to send a copy of the assessment notification to you. 

I'm reasonably satisfied you are legit at this point.  I even answered the survey (on Survey Monkey).

Good luck with the project.  

Whatever you come up with let us know more about it.  Most of us on here have either been dealing with PD for quite a while or (in my case) are engineers that can help asses your idea and help you improve it.

• Like 1

Thanks for coming back and clearing up the confusion. We get a little skeptical. Lots of people take advantage of people with disabilities and I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those times.

By coming back and explaining your self you have given me enough proof you are truly doing and assignment. I will be taking you survey shortly.

Blessings

Adam