helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Jami D

Rock Steady Boxing

Just had my assessment to join our Rock Steady Boxing class here in Birmingham!! I am so excited about this group. For some reason this type of program has got me more pumped and motivated to exercise than my normal routine since my diagnosis in April, which was doing a workout in a gym I found through Davis Phinney. The workout was great but I was struggling with self motivation.

My right arm decided last Wednesday that ii was feeling left out I guess and wanted to join in the game so I now have a bilateral upper body tremor and this sudden unexpected symptom change really kind of messed with my head. I am finding out very quickly that this disease is so unpredictable.

My trainer Martin is amazing and talented and truly has a special place in his heart for PWP. The movements and exercises are a real challenge and I really needed someone to help remind me what

I can do instead of living in the negative mind set it is so easy to fall into. I haven't even had my first full session and I am already feeling the mental benefits of finding a way to exercise that truly seems beneficial in our fight!!

If anyone is lucky enough to have this program in your area, please give it a shot!! I can't wait to meet the others in my class and work together to fight, laugh and enjoy life!!

Jami D.

• Like 3

There are certain exercises you see again and again in the literature for fighting Parkinson's disease, I refer to them as the 4 Ps-

Punching (boxing)

Pedaling (biking)

Prancing (dancing)

Paddling (swimming)

Unfortunately there's no Rock Steady classes around here so I have to make do with my Wii. But I'm so glad it's working for you.

• Like 2

Feisty

I haven't heard of the four Ps, but I like that a lot.

I also never thought of using a Wii, what a wonderful idea. I may try and find a used one somewhere and add that to my rotation of exercise/mobility program.

Thanks for the ideas and I hope maybe you will see a Rock Steady program pop up in your area.

I started boxing 5 weeks ago...

I love it...absolutely the best exercise I've done and I'm really active...

Hope you find a gym that will bring it in for your community...

Good luck...

4 P's.....perfect!!

D

I love my Wii, in the early going with my tremor it was a pretty consistent way to turn it off temporarily. And it's still a good way to get in a little exercise. As for the 4 Ps I use that as my own personal pneumonic. In the morning I ask myself which one am I going to do today. I figure even if all I do is turn my music up really loud and prance around the house awhile at least that's something.

Still I wish we had Rock Steady boxing around here, so if anyone wants to start a program in central Washington they'd be welcomed with at least one pair of open and occasionally shaky arms!

Edited by Feisty Folder

I do enjoy the Rock Steady Boxing.   I'm looking at DBS this fall, half of our level one boxers have had DBS so great feedback on the local Neurosurgeons. I'm lucky in having a good choice!

As to starting a Rock Steady Boxing program... contact the national HQ.  You may have people already trained in RSB locally who are not advertising.  We started the first class with four people during a "off hour" at a Mixed Marshal Arts Gym.  One instructor who learned about RSB, and four people she signed up.  We are up to over 60 people now, third location will open soon.

Even just starting a facebook page helps find other folks interested. 

• Like 1

There are certain exercises you see again and again in the literature for fighting Parkinson's disease, I refer to them as the 4 Ps-

Punching (boxing)

Pedaling (biking)

Prancing (dancing)

Paddling (swimming)

Unfortunately there's no Rock Steady classes around here so I have to make do with my Wii. But I'm so glad it's working for you.

I found out dance revolution that my kids have on the wii is an inspiring exercise

• Like 1

Wish it would come to New Braunfels TX!!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I got invited to the day class, but I can only go in the evening in Fort Worth; which is the in high demand.  there are lots of programs, but for a YOPD it is more difficult to take advantage of.  I am not complaining, because I am still able to support my family.

Secret Squirrel

That is awesome that RSB is now in your area. Good luck with the assessment! You are going to love it.

Other than the workout itself, one of the most fulfilling things about the program after my first week, is the feeling I get from being with the whole group of other PWP. There is something special about being together with others in this fight and getting support and inspiration from everyone. Also, the volunteers that help with our class are amazing and this program really feels like it will have tremendous benefits, especially mentally!!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

And check with your insurance company- it's a PD specific therapy so all or part of the cost may be covered as a reimbursable expense.

• Like 1

REALLY?! I never thought about that. I will definitely check into it. Thanks, Waywrd!

Admittedly, my insurance is uncommonly good.  My husband's company pays through the nose for it, bless them.

That being said, there are ways to fight with insurance companies.  My health insurance covers massage therapy in support of my orthopedic issues, I got my orthopedic surgeon to write out a prescription for it- when an MD prescribes it, it's taken much more seriously than a chiropractor.  

So, after I got my scrip, I called the insurance company and said my OS prescribed this, who are your approved massage vendors.  They said, "We don't know" but make sure it's billed this way: it's covered only if the massage therapist is on staff at the provider's office (versus being a contractor) and that the provider's office bills the insurance company through the provider's ID.  Someone else can provide the therapy, but it has to be billed under the provider. 

The best part is that because it's a therapy appointment, there wasn't even a co-pay.

Check it out, you never know what gems you'll find in your insurance.

• Like 1

SS

I am glad to hear it! It is by far the greatest physical workout I have ever had. And I am really starting to discover the wonderful mental benefits of the program. When I am having a not so great week, it is always an awesome release to head to the boxing gym and put on the gloves to sweat and punch it out!!

Keep it up Secret Squirrel!!

• Like 1

Punching (boxing)

Pedaling (biking)

Prancing (dancing)

Paddling (swimming)

Love the 4 "P's".  Hoping to find one of them I can motivate my DH (dear husband - diagnosed with "mild PD" a week ago) to pursue with conviction.  We walk 2 miles a day 3-4 times a week (before dx) but I don't think that's "vigorous" enough.  Appreciate the "easy way" to remember "recommended" exercises.  Hope you are finding something to laugh about multiple times each day - and glad you have the Wii to keep you moving.

LHG