helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Has any of you PD'ers ever have mood swings with the medication you take. I'm starting to develop mood swings. It's starting to affect my marriage and it's a wake up call for me. My wife even told me she's getting sick and tired of hearing about Parkinson's.

Devil Dog,

You probably need to pick your battles when discussing Parkinson's with others. I know it's tough dealing with this crap but if you want her assistance later when you'll really need it, give her break now while you're still capable of managing yourself. There will come a time when the both of you won't be able to escape this dreadful disease. Think about it, would you want to hear someone complain about this PD crap all of the time?

Dave

• Like 4

Definitely look into the meds. I agree with Daven: nobody likes a "Debbie Downer." Yes, you should be able to confide in your spouse, but you don't want to overburden her, either. I always ask my husband if he WANTS to attend educational seminars, support group meetings, and doctor appointments with me. I feel that this gives him an out, a chance not to think about my PD all the time, even though months ago he indicated he does anyway. He does go with me almost every time, and although he's never said as much, I feel he appreciates my gesture.

Which meds are you on again?

It could be the meds or it could be dealing with the diagnosis, I went through a period after my diagnosis in which I consistently described myself as cranky. Eventually I returned to being my usually optimistic self and am now busy being cranky about other things

It's the nature of grief, I'll probably be cranky about the PD again at some point though things are going to have to slow down first...

I'm taking 2 Sinement 25-100 2 times a day, and Requip 4-1mg 3 times a day once in the morning, another at lunch time, and 2 at night, as far as PD meds. Neurontin 300mg 3 times a day for nerve pain. Valium 5mg 2 times a day. Doxepin 10mg to help me sleep, Celexa 40 mg 1 time a day I take it at night. Flexeril 10mg 3 times a day to relax my muscles when they start to go through spasms.

Edited by devildog89us

Devil Dog,

You probably need to pick your battles when discussing Parkinson's with others. I know it's tough dealing with this crap but if you want her assistance later when you'll really need it, give her break now while you're still capable of managing yourself. There will come a time when the both of you won't be able to escape this dreadful disease. Think about it, would you want to hear someone complain about this PD crap all of the time?

Dave

You got a point. I wasn't seeing that. You're both right about who wants to listen too Debbie Downer all the time. I got nothing to hide, I was up all night thinking about it. I am man enough to admit my mistakes. It's hard to see that on the inside looking outward. I burned bridges by being a PD downer all the time. I got no shame to admit that. My wife sent me a song, it hit home. The country music singer is Tim McGraw, and the title of the song is, "Better than I used to be".

...and it's not just our spouses.  No one else wants to hear about it either (friends, family, etc).  Remember, everyone has problems.  Many people have problems that are FAR worse than PD.  For example, one of my tenants wasn't feeling well and went to the doctor.  They told her that she had metastatic cancer.  That was a few months ago.  She's already dead.  I'll bet that she would have been thrilled with a diagnosis of PD instead of cancer.

• Like 1

If I was taking half the medications you're taking I would be nearly comatose!  And I'm not talking about the PD meds.  How do you function?

The Neurontin is for my nerve pain. The medication is based on a 120 pound man. I am also getting referred to having gastric bypass with the sleeve. I already got a referral. Just waiting on the phone call for an appointment.

I had mood swings when taking Sinemet.  I'm currently taking Rytary.  Some folks have tried Rytary and didn't like it but, I've found the mood swings much better and my other symptoms are much more leveled out.

DD, I can't relate to the meds you take. I know I'm grumpier and have a shorter fuse than what I used to. I think its more out of frustration, getting tired, and thinking I can't keep up at times.

I certainly can't figure it out. Was on a vacation for about a week and things were pretty good. Now that I'm back to work with stress…..its setting things off again. Pretty sure my erratic sleep and getting out of sync with meds hasn't helped.

Its definitely frustrating not being able to let it all out at times. Other folks do have their problems as well. We all do.

Sometimes it helps to spread it around if you're in need of venting.

P.S. Listening to up beat music seems to help pick up my mood.

• Like 1