helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
carruthers209

Some really useful information on cognitive decline

http://www.apdaparkinson.org/cognitive-changes-in-parkinsons/

Thanks again to Kathrynne Holden from Chew on This-which is becoming my daily go-to resource for Parkinson's knowledge-for the article on "Cognitive Changes in Parkinson's."  It's really good to read through this article because it clearly lays out where logical thinking, processing and memory are just not happening-well, at least not how we are used to living our lives.  I've noticed my husband's declining cognitive functioning.  He's been having trouble retrieving naming words (nouns) but now it's progressing to where he's slower at logical thinking, gets distracted very easily, forgetful, etc.  We just went on vacation and he forgot to bring his remote for his DBS battery and he walked through the airport security screening machine-great!  Fortunately we got through the vacation without any "events."  I need to be more on the ball with this and aware that I can no longer expect him to remember important things.  He's mentioned he wants me to be aware that I will need to watch his checking account in the "future."  Forewarned is forearmed I guess.

• Like 2

At the beginning of my mom's cognitive decline she poured a whole bottle of Stalevo down the garbage disposal.  I received a lecture from her doctor who told me I should not trust her with handling anything anymore because her common sense is now out the window.  The day  I was in charge of filling up her pill box was when I was no longer in denial of her disease.  It is really happening and there is no turning back the clock. 

It is interesting. this morning my wife said to me, what about the board in the basement the boots are on? (we are moving). I said I didn't care about the board since it was ruined anyway. She said, "I am talking about the boots." She has problems referring to something, yet to her it is so clear what she is talking about. She didn't say anything about the boots on the board, just the board. I assumed we were moving the boots or why do we have them, but wouldn't take the board.

At the beginning of my mom's cognitive decline she poured a whole bottle of Stalevo down the garbage disposal.  I received a lecture from her doctor who told me I should not trust her with handling anything anymore because her common sense is now out the window.  The day  I was in charge of filling up her pill box was when I was no longer in denial of her disease.  It is really happening and there is no turning back the clock.

I feel like a pharmacy tech filling those pill reminders. I do them for a month at a time. Lately I have to hand him the Meds, otherwise he won't take them properly. Yes, it really is happening here too.

• Like 1