helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
MurrayPD2

DBS Screening

34 posts in this topic

Speedy recovery Murray!!

I shiver reading the details....it takes a lot of strength and faith from ones self to go through DBS...

My best to you

D

2 people like this

Speedy Recovery

The battery installation hurt more than my head!  Even walking was bad, hence my solution of a (drum roll please) wearing a sports bra.  Compression Shirts are designed if you had abodmen surgery, but for above the pectorial only thing I can find was a sports bra. I'm a big guy (6'3" 245#) but the compression helped.   As I have started losing weight again (back to boxing) that leads seems really tight. I can move my head around without issue, but the cable in my neck is visible.

GIve it time as the soreness goes away.  Still tempted to get my head shaved again, curious what the cable/bumps look like.

Meanwhile my Golden is saying it is too nice of a day to stay inside, and we should go for a walk!

Take care, and take it easy!

Edited by TexasTom
2 people like this

Recovery on stage 2 is definitely a little tougher and slower.  The leads in the neck can sometimes be felt on certain movements.   The chest is less sore today, and I pretty much stopped pain meds in the last 24 hours.   However, it is going to be sore for a little while.  I am surprised at the amount of staples in my head.   They took out the original staples while I was under surgery, but I woke up with about 6 above my left ear.  I was expecting something there, but not 6.   My chest is another 12, so, if I include the first two cuts, that is 40 staples.  The head cuts are not really bothersome though.   

That's a LOT of staples.  I really feel for you all who are or have gone through this.  But each of you is tough, and I admire that.

Tom and Linda,

Thanks for the kind responses.   I got my staples out yesterday.   I have a little hypersensitivity on my lead path (skin feels a little raw), but mainly sore on the last two cuts.  The nurse says the sensitivity is a little rare, but a known issue.  She told me to rub the area like petting a dog to desensitize it. I have never heard of that.  I had a small infection on the chest site the showed up two days ago, but it really looks like the staples were irritating the skin. To be safe, I am taking antibiotics.  After the staple removal, the site has already improved.

The chest is actually much better.  I can actually touch the opposite shoulder without feeling like I am fighting a baseball that is blocking me inside.  I find I am doing a little more each day.  I plan to go to work next week (a week from today).  My DBS tech told me to keep the neck moving (even though it may hurt) to keep the lead from "sticking too much" with scar tissue. A coupe of times, I felt the leads move inside and loosen a little.  Now, it feels pretty good.  It is a little strange to feel the leads in the neck like a new tendon, but I think i am getting used to it.

1 person likes this

Tom and Linda,

Thanks for the kind responses.   I got my staples out yesterday.   I have a little hypersensitivity on my lead path (skin feels a little raw), but mainly sore on the last two cuts.  The nurse says the sensitivity is a little rare, but a known issue.  She told me to rub the area like petting a dog to desensitize it. I have never heard of that.  I had a small infection on the chest site the showed up two days ago, but it really looks like the staples were irritating the skin. To be safe, I am taking antibiotics.  After the staple removal, the site has already improved.

The chest is actually much better.  I can actually touch the opposite shoulder without feeling like I am fighting a baseball that is blocking me inside.  I find I am doing a little more each day.  I plan to go to work next week (a week from today).  My DBS tech told me to keep the neck moving (even though it may hurt) to keep the lead from "sticking too much" with scar tissue. A coupe of times, I felt the leads move inside and loosen a little.  Now, it feels pretty good.  It is a little strange to feel the leads in the neck like a new tendon, but I think i am getting used to it.

You all are quite brave who have undergone this.  I'm so glad it's improving for you.  I'm trying to remember if you said you had nausea?  I read recently that a sniff of alcohol (I think they meant rubbing alcohol?) will quickly take care of the nausea.  Strange!

Tom, can you make room in your PM box?  :-)

Done. Didn't realize it was full.

Yes, that was me who was nausea after surgery for a few days. I have to remember the 'sniff alcohol'  hmm, a little Ouzo maybe?

Yes, that was me who was nausea after surgery for a few days. I have to remember the 'sniff alcohol'  hmm, a little Ouzo maybe?

LOL!  Had to look that up.  Sounds delicious--anise flavor.  No, just regular ol' rubbing alcohol I think is what the tip was meaning.  But...who knows?  Could try both.  :-)

Love Ouzo.  In college a girl I knew went home to Greece for the summer and brought me back a bottle of Tsiporo.  It's basically Greek moonshine, and there's no particular recipe for it.  Her uncle made it and it was flavored with anise similarly to Ouzo.  But this stuff had to be 90% alcohol (180 proof).  Diluted with enough water to not instantly anesthetize you taste buds and it was actually quite good.  Managed to stretch the half liter she gave me out for that whole school year.  Lucky the dorm people never cottoned on to it.