helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Quietstill

Larger to society Ethics for CGs

Here's a dilemma; ethics.  As CGs, we are balanced ojn the knife edge.  I struggle every day with when do the driving discussions turn serious.  When does protecting and allowing him to live as fully as possible conflict with the ugly necessities.   Now, no sub-adults can be in the car.  Any accident that may occur will be caused by hesitation, at low speed.  I am comfortable with this.  Daytime driving, another adult in the car, eagle-eyed and aware.

What of other issues?  Jury duty.  I've been called many times, and have never served.  Too much education, too many lawyers in my family, and military service.  Both sides never want me.  I sit in the courthouse for a week, being dismissed by lawyer after lawyer.  No problem.  My DH has never been called, until now.  He's perfect (on paper).  Now what?  Is it justifiable to insist he discloses his PD and let the lawyers do their own judging?  (Non-tremor, so unless he discloses they won't know).  Here's the ethics: I know how affected he is in judgement.  I also know how good he is at compensating so that people who don't know him well can't see the damage.  If the PD is disclosed, is it ethical to say to myself "well, the lawyers 'should have' researched what non-tremor meant."

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Discussions?  I really am at a loss here.

You can request he no longer serve based on just what you've said above regarding his PD and his difficulties with judgment.  I did that, without any problem.  All it took was a letter from my PCP, and no problems whatsoever.  I think you may be able to look it up on line, and there may be a form or an address for whom the letter should be sent.

Hope it works out for you--

• Like 1

Quietstill,

I agree with Linda, have his PCP give him a medical exemption. The defense could always use that on appeal if they knew about it. Same dilemma on the car. I told her I had concerns and that she should not be hauling kids around and how would she feel if they were hurt. She didn't say if she would or not, but at least she listened. Her driving scares me. She offered to drive on vacation and I just didn't let her.

Coach T

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

Odd experience.  I talked to DH about it, he thought he'd do fine although he was a little concerned with fatigue issues.  [Gaah!, I hadn't even considered the 2 daily naps needed!]  We talked about how if info comes into fast, he can't process it.  We talked about the problems with short term memory.  We gently talked about .. you know the drill if there's MCI [another cowardly and useless anacronym]. 

He had already sent in the form, swearing the info was accurate, and he could serve with no problems so I went with him to help.  The nice woman managing the jury pool looked at him, studied his face, then turned to me and said "Done, he's off the pool, no problem.  I can't promise he won't be called again, but don't worry, and have a doctor fill it out next time." 

Peachy.  It's apparent even to total strangers on a bad day that something is really not right just by looking at him.  Ah well, I guess I may be depending more and more on the kindness of strangers as we continue on.

Edited by Quietstill
  • Like 1

Quiet, you handled this situation wonderfully, with sensitivity to your husband and gentle, loving talks with him about his issues.  I'm so glad the person handling the pool was so helpful and so quickly answered and settled the situation and also let you know what to do for next time.  It worked out just perfectly.  I know how hard it was for you, but good, good job!